shape
carat
color
clarity

Do any of you resell for fun?

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I think ebay has improved somewhat , because now if you sell jewelry or high end items , you mail them first to the authenticater then he mails it to the buyer after checking it out .

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think ebay has improved somewhat , because now if you sell jewelry or high end items , you mail them first to the authenticater then he mails it to the buyer after checking it out .

Good point, this seems like it would weed out scammers.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On Etsy, I once bought a fairly expensive “vintage” sterling ring, the seller claimed it was a pink Tourmaline. I did not notice it was “no returns”.

The seller clearly knew what they were doing, it was a pristine glass filled ruby in a new vintage style setting. Not worth the price at all.

Long story short, Etsy did everything they could to keep the seller happy and rejected my claim (which my credit card company took care of, finding Etsy at fault.).

So maybe Etsy has a few more seller protections than EBay? I have no idea, does anyone have any insights?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It just occurred to me, isn’t selling with a consigner like Grace almost as cost effective as selling with EBay or Etsy? Don’t they take 20%?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
On Etsy, I once bought a fairly expensive “vintage” sterling ring, the seller claimed it was a pink Tourmaline. I did not notice it was “no returns”.

The seller clearly knew what they were doing, it was a pristine glass filled ruby in a new vintage style setting. Not worth the price at all.

Long story short, Etsy did everything they could to keep the seller happy and rejected my claim (which my credit card company took care of, finding Etsy at fault.).

So maybe Etsy has a few more seller protections than EBay? I have no idea, does anyone have any insights?

@LightBright ebay guaranteed goes to gia. I spoke with ebay and for example, if the ruby is listed as natural, it cannot be glass filled. I found that ebay offers a lot of customer protection. I don't buy from etsy simply because their search engine is a nightmare.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LightBright ebay guaranteed goes to gia. I spoke with ebay and for example, if the ruby is listed as natural, it cannot be glass filled. I found that ebay offers a lot of customer protection. I don't buy from etsy simply because their search engine is a nightmare.

The EBay guaranteed seems to screen for serious buyers and sellers. I really like that feature because it makes selling more expensive jewelry feel safer for both.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

It doesn’t happen every time that you have to send to an authenticator. If it’s under $500 you do not at all and then if it’s over 500 it’s a random selection. Even authentication has its drawbacks as we have seen with some of us who have tried to buy antique items that failed authentication because of weird reasons, like it had a tiny bit of platinum in an item that was Advertised as gold .

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It just occurred to me, isn’t selling with a consigner like Grace almost as cost effective as selling with EBay or Etsy? Don’t they take 20%?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

eBay takes 15% and I think Grace takes 30 or 35. I don’t exactly know what Etsy takes; I am pretty sure it’s less than Grace, but they also have a weird formula on whether or not you will allow her promoted ads or so forth, which also dictates whether or not how often your item gets seen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results