color
clarity

Si1vs vvs2

jrpowers

Rough_Rock
Wanted to see which one was better

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Interesting question @jrpowers as "better" is a relative term. What are your search criteria? The 4Cs are the variables, and you have to determine where your tastes lie along those 4 components. Cut should always come first. For me, carat would be next, followed by color then clarity. Very difficult to tell the difference between an F and G color of well cut stones. Regarding the stones you posted - one is obviously bigger than the other, and one has a color grade one level higher than the other. One has a better clarity grade as well - but the question is - with your naked eye are you able to see these differences? If not, then why pay for them? If so, what else are you willing to compromise on to get the grade you want? Modern diamond vendors with great technology provide stone imagery the size of saucers - but remember, the real thing is only millimeters across - so eye-clean is a thing, and so is mind-clean. These purchases are almost always a compromise, but not a compromise on everything. Figure out what is important and go for that, and compromise on the others. Most bang for the buck.

With the stones you submitted - regarding cut, I would say both are relatively equal. Regarding color, which is very personal, I would want to know the color sensitivity of the recipient. Same goes with carat. If a stone only needs to be eye clean, then clarity has a lot of wiggle room.

In this case I would take a bigger G over an F all day. But you aren't buying it for me - so get some insight from the one who will wear it. Will save you grief down the road, and help those here to help you find the best stone possible within your search criteria and budget.

Good luck, and remember - evidence-based searching is worry-free searching. Don't wing it if this is for someone else.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't start multiple threads with rhe same question, it makes things confusing.

I'd personally go with the larger stone. But you can ask WF to take pics on someone's hand

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If 0.82 is plenty big enough for you, I would go for this one and save over $1,400.

Alternatively, here is a slightly pricier option that's very clean and sized between the 0.82 and 1.04.

jrpowers

Rough_Rock

jrpowers

Rough_Rock
My other question is I’ve always went with vvs stones just did it know if the SI1 will look as good as one of those. That’s what I was really wanting to know I know they are all kind of above so they will be nice. I’m looking for nicer size.

jrpowers

Rough_Rock
I guess the question I’m really trying to ask is an si1 vs a vvs above cut will they have the same fire? I’ve always bought vvs I’ve never bought SI quality have always been on the fence about it so just wanted to know what is a better I’m not really after like I said I’m quality this is https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...vvs2-clarity-round-excellent-cut-sku-a4590499 basically wanted to know in terms of look fire sparkle if this was going to be better than the SI1 just let me know your thoughts

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the question I’m really trying to ask is an si1 vs a vvs above cut will they have the same fire? I’ve always bought vvs I’ve never bought SI quality have always been on the fence about it so just wanted to know what is a better I’m not really after like I said I’m quality this is https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...vvs2-clarity-round-excellent-cut-sku-a4590499 basically wanted to know in terms of look fire sparkle if this was going to be better than the SI1 just let me know your thoughts

The cut has nothing to do with the clarity. A well cut diamond will always sparkle. However, if a stone is too included, that can interfere with the light performance. These two stones are well vetted, Whiteflash ACA diamonds, so that should not be an issue with them. Call the great folks at Whiteflash and chat with them. They will be happy to do a side by side video for you so you can judge for yourself how they both appear.

jrpowers

Rough_Rock
So basically, they will be equal then as far as light performance I didn’t know if one had better specs than the other. That’s all I was trying to figure out.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Good questions about light performance @jrpowers - and cut is the primary variable that drives light performance. Color and clarity are both characteristics of a diamond. Color is a personal preference, as not everyone seeks icy white colorless stones, nor does everyone care for the warmth in faint colored stones.

Although much less important than cut when it comes to light performance, clarity can play a role. Whiteflash has a good article on clarity and its relationship to brilliance here and I recommend you read through it. Another excellent article on diamond clarity can be found here and is good reading as well. I hope these help.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So basically, they will be equal then as far as light performance I didn’t know if one had better specs than the other. That’s all I was trying to figure out.

If you are having trouble making a choice, I would ask Whiteflash to do a side by side video for you to look at their performance. I doubt that you will see much difference but one may speak to you more than the other.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Cut Above specs are so tight that you'll rarely find a big variance in sparkle and brilliance but definitely ask. The SAs all
have good eyes and tell you what they see (or if they see no difference).

Most of Pricescope would go for size but there are some that prefer cleaner stones and would choose the VVS2. It depends
on what you're after and what your priorities are. Good luck...as far as cut, you can't go wrong with either!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results