shape
carat
color
clarity

A small something for when I think of you

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Recently, my grandma passed. Me being me, I decided to commission a piece with her in mind - so that I can look at it and remember her. For context, I am a ring girl - and my grandma left me pieces of jewellery but...none of them were rings, hence the idea.

During the brainstorming process, I eventually decided on an idea - a cluster ring with an center emerald (her birthstone) and side stones of my family's birthstones.

Sourcing the center stone

We started first with the emerald. I approached GemFactor_Emeralds (on Instagram) and they were very lovely to deal with, giving me a few options within my price range, preferred cut and color and treatment options (I asked for medium-vivid, minor oil). As they had a contact local to me, they shipped a few of the emeralds that I had expressed I liked to her so I could view the stones in person. Eventually, I picked my favourite and after getting it certified at NGI, it was shipped to me for setting.

GemFactor Emeralds, through the process, had been very accommodating, going above and beyond to ensure I was happy with what I picked and making accommodations for me to get the stone I picked certified. I cannot recommend them enough, and they have some beautiful stones!

Designs and Setting

As for the setting, I approach Rachel P jewels (a jeweler local to me) who I've worked with previously on other projects (though those were not for me), and I thought that she had a good eye for what I wanted. So off I brought the center stone, and after some discussion we had a sketch of the idea. It took about 4 weeks for the artwork design to come out, but I loved what I saw.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 12.59.36_CROP.jpeg

Full disclaimer: this is not the whole design but part of what Rachel sent me.

I tweaked a few things, and then it went into production. Finally, I got the call and was told I could pick it up today!!!! So without further ado, here's some eye-candy.

Here she is in the ring box...

20240504_173717.jpg

And out of the box...

20240504_173919.jpg

And here's the ring on hand.

20240504_150143.jpg

Honestly? The pictures do not do the ring justice. The emerald glows in person, whereas in the picture it kind of looks like a boring green stone. I think I get it now.

Rachel really brought the vision I had to life, and I love my finished piece! I also hope you enjoyed my delicate little ring :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ring with so much meaning behind it. Your grandma will always be remembered. Sending my thoughts to you and hope that this ring will remind you of all the good memories you had together.

These are my very favorite PS posts... I love a good "jewelry in honor of a loved one" story. And this one is particularly lovely. I think you did Gram proud! That ring is so unique. I've never seen anything quite like it. Please share the accent stone details when you have a chance. :) Gorgeous.... congrats!!

P.S. Emeralds are infamous for being one of the worst stones to photograph. So we all take that into account. Still, it looks great in your photos and I'm sure outstanding in person.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
That is so unique and beautiful. Congratulations.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
These are my very favorite PS posts... I love a good "jewelry in honor of a loved one" story. And this one is particularly lovely. I think you did Gram proud! That ring is so unique. I've never seen anything quite like it. Please share the accent stone details when you have a chance. :) Gorgeous.... congrats!!

P.S. Emeralds are infamous for being one of the worst stones to photograph. So we all take that into account. Still, it looks great in your photos and I'm sure outstanding in person.

Certainly, re: sharing the accent stone details!

The stones were sourced by Rachel. As the center emerald is around 1/2 a carat, they are all pretty small. The marquise is a aqua, the red round is a spinel, the yellow round is a citrine and the little white heart shaped stone is a diamond. The diamond was a 0.07 carat teeny stone, if my memory serves me rightly!

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! And I, too, have a high opinion of GemFactor_Emeralds. Stephanie is a dream to work with, and, oooh, those emeralds. . . .

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! And I, too, have a high opinion of GemFactor_Emeralds. Stephanie is a dream to work with, and, oooh, those emeralds. . . .

Thank you! And yes, they are fantastic to work with, and the stones...all lovely. To be honest, I couldn't go wrong with any of the stones - at that point, it was a matter of taste.

Certainly, re: sharing the accent stone details!

The stones were sourced by Rachel. As the center emerald is around 1/2 a carat, they are all pretty small. The marquise is a aqua, the red round is a spinel, the yellow round is a citrine and the little white heart shaped stone is a diamond. The diamond was a 0.07 carat teeny stone, if my memory serves me rightly!

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words :)

The combination of colors is so fresh and unexpected! And the mixed shapes really add to the richness of the piece. Did the choice of accent stones have any significance (birthstones of other family members, etc.)?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recently, my grandma passed. Me being me, I decided to commission a piece with her in mind - so that I can look at it and remember her. For context, I am a ring girl - and my grandma left me pieces of jewellery but...none of them were rings, hence the idea.

During the brainstorming process, I eventually decided on an idea - a cluster ring with an center emerald (her birthstone) and side stones of my family's birthstones.

Sourcing the center stone

We started first with the emerald. I approached GemFactor_Emeralds (on Instagram) and they were very lovely to deal with, giving me a few options within my price range, preferred cut and color and treatment options (I asked for medium-vivid, minor oil). As they had a contact local to me, they shipped a few of the emeralds that I had expressed I liked to her so I could view the stones in person. Eventually, I picked my favourite and after getting it certified at NGI, it was shipped to me for setting.

GemFactor Emeralds, through the process, had been very accommodating, going above and beyond to ensure I was happy with what I picked and making accommodations for me to get the stone I picked certified. I cannot recommend them enough, and they have some beautiful stones!

Designs and Setting

As for the setting, I approach Rachel P jewels (a jeweler local to me) who I've worked with previously on other projects (though those were not for me), and I thought that she had a good eye for what I wanted. So off I brought the center stone, and after some discussion we had a sketch of the idea. It took about 4 weeks for the artwork design to come out, but I loved what I saw.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 12.59.36_CROP.jpeg

Full disclaimer: this is not the whole design but part of what Rachel sent me.

I tweaked a few things, and then it went into production. Finally, I got the call and was told I could pick it up today!!!! So without further ado, here's some eye-candy.

Here she is in the ring box...

20240504_173717.jpg

And out of the box...

20240504_173919.jpg

And here's the ring on hand.

20240504_150143.jpg

Honestly? The pictures do not do the ring justice. The emerald glows in person, whereas in the picture it kind of looks like a boring green stone. I think I get it now.

Rachel really brought the vision I had to life, and I love my finished piece! I also hope you enjoyed my delicate little ring :)

this is so pretty
and i love Grandma jewellery
even if in this case it is brand spanking new !
wear it with lots of warm happy loving memories of your grandma

Is there a thread that discusses the ring in your profile pic? It's so interesting! I'm seeing an emerald and diamonds, and then the rest looks to be enamel? I feel like that ring looks like it could have been unearthed in a pharaoh's tomb! :appl: I also like the east-west orientation... I'm not sure I've ever seen a marquise set that way. That is the only shape of gem I don't own (except for maybe accent diamonds). I'm trying to think of a variety I don't yet have that I can buy in a marquise (that's not $$$). :think:

Sorry to go O/T for a moment, @michellechan2211!!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
So lovely! What a beautiful way to honor your grandma. Wear it in good health and with wonderful memories.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
The combination of colors is so fresh and unexpected! And the mixed shapes really add to the richness of the piece. Did the choice of accent stones have any significance (birthstones of other family members, etc.)?

Yes, actually! The accent stones are the rest of my immediate family's birthstones.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandma. What a wonderful remembrance idea. It came out beautifully!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results