carat
color
clarity

Dark triangle in 360 video?

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking into purchasing this stone:

I noticed however that it has a dark triangle in the middle of the top half. Is this an issue with the cut or just how the video was shot?

Any other feedback on the stone would also be appreciated!

TIA

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you’re talking about, but I know nothing about cushions so I don’t know if it’s bad.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that when you post a stone you should either screen record and hide the identification or reserve it first, there are a lot of lurkers that grab stones people post… like you did all the legwork and put all the time in and searched and they just grab it

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m wondering if this will be mushy ground glass appearance overall IRL. I don’t have much to go on other than I know you’re supposed to watch out for that and my own elongated cushion was a lot brighter on video. Granted, this is upright, and thereby harder to judge. But I’ve got my doubts as to cut precision.

I know that’s not super helpful in the long run … if I have time I’ll see if I can find a better example. Have you checked Brian Gavin LGD cushions? That’s where I found mine, and I think they have a first time customer coupon, although you might have to purchase a certain dollar amount.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re willing to go down in color, they’re a couple of nice ones on the Brian Gavin site. Plus they’re having a sale on LGD, I think.

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
I see what you’re talking about, but I know nothing about cushions so I don’t know if it’s bad.

I just wanted to give you a heads up that when you post a stone you should either screen record and hide the identification or reserve it first, there are a lot of lurkers that grab stones people post… like you did all the legwork and put all the time in and searched and they just grab it

Ah, I forgot about lurkers, thank you so much for the heads up! I’ll be sure to do that in the future!

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
I’m wondering if this will be mushy ground glass appearance overall IRL. I don’t have much to go on other than I know you’re supposed to watch out for that and my own elongated cushion was a lot brighter on video. Granted, this is upright, and thereby harder to judge. But I’ve got my doubts as to cut precision.

I know that’s not super helpful in the long run … if I have time I’ll see if I can find a better example. Have you checked Brian Gavin LGD cushions? That’s where I found mine, and I think they have a first time customer coupon, although you might have to purchase a certain dollar amount.

Thanks so much for your input! I did check out Brian Gavin, unfortunately all his cushion cut stones are well above 1ct. I have small hands and find that anything over a carat looks silly on me, and I also work in a lab so I don’t want something huge. It’s surprisingly been quite a struggle to find a good quality smaller stone.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The dimensions on the one you posted are 6.85x5.04x3.37. The one I posted is 7.38x5.99x4.18. We’re talking mm.

I understand working in a lab. I used to be in the medical field and wear gloves a lot. I also have small hands. My ring finger is 3-3.25.

I’ll look a bit, but at the price with the coupon and current sale, you might want to just order the stone and inspect it for a few days. Brian Gavin has amazing customer service. It might not feel as big as the “1.4ct” label sounds.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I assume you want an elongated cushion? If you're up for a rounded squarish cushion, I recommend the Brian Gavin deluxe cuts. You'll see the fire, brilliance, office lighting videos as well as the ASET images. You'll get an optimally cut stone. Just gorgeous!

(But I also opted for an elongated cushion, so I know that we like what we like.)

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two smaller ones. I feel like I'm your small handed elongated cushion co-conspirator!

@Karl_K, could you provide some insight as to how to evaluate elongated cushions which are spinning on a north-south axis (as opposed to lying on their side)?

I'm not sure if the black in the center is obstruction from the camera or poor cut here.
https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG598389356

Is this 1.02 dead or bright? I'm so accustomed to see more virtual facets, but this one doesn't show any. I don't even know if "virtual facet" is the right term or if "crushed ice" is more appropriate.
https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG586344124

Anyone like these?
https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG598389351/video/500/500
https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG600351892/video/500/500

Any other cushion experts out there? @0-0-0 @lovedogs @tyty333 ?

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
The dimensions on the one you posted are 6.85x5.04x3.37. The one I posted is 7.38x5.99x4.18. We’re talking mm.

I understand working in a lab. I used to be in the medical field and wear gloves a lot. I also have small hands. My ring finger is 3-3.25.

I’ll look a bit, but at the price with the coupon and current sale, you might want to just order the stone and inspect it for a few days. Brian Gavin has amazing customer service. It might not feel as big as the “1.4ct” label sounds.

Hmm, that’s good to know, thank you! I’ll consider the larger sizes.. maybe I just need to get used to it haha

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
I assume you want an elongated cushion? If you're up for a rounded squarish cushion, I recommend the Brian Gavin deluxe cuts. You'll see the fire, brilliance, office lighting videos as well as the ASET images. You'll get an optimally cut stone. Just gorgeous!

(But I also opted for an elongated cushion, so I know that we like what we like.)

Yes, unfortunately I definitely want an elongated one.. I actually got a round stone originally, but as beautiful as it is I can’t stand the way my hand looks with it on. For some reason elongated stones just feel “right” on me and shorter stones feel “wrong”?

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
Here are two smaller ones. I feel like I'm your small handed elongated cushion co-conspirator!

@Karl_K, could you provide some insight as to how to evaluate elongated cushions which are spinning on a north-south axis (as opposed to lying on their side)?

I'm not sure if the black in the center is obstruction from the camera or poor cut here.

Is this 1.02 dead or bright? I'm so accustomed to see more virtual facets, but this one doesn't show any. I don't even know if "virtual facet" is the right term or if "crushed ice" is more appropriate.

Anyone like these?

Hahaha “small handed elongated cushion co-conspirator” love it! Looking for an elongated cushion really does feel like unravelling a mystery!

I received videos of a couple other stones, any thoughts on these?

Stone A:
Stone B:
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Those appear to have more of a crushed ice appearance. Cushions come in two general types - brilliant and crushed ice. I'm not versed in the crushed ice cushion characteristics enough to distinguish good ones from bad ones.

Here's a video comparing the two, although they are square cushions. You'll get the general idea, though. You need to decide which type you want.

My understanding is that when the crushed ice versions get dirty (and diamonds are grease magnets so they will always get dirty), they dull more than the brilliant type. But this might be hearsay since mine is a brilliant type. Get many more opinions than mine!

And Paul Gian of beyondthe4cs.com helped me choose my cushion. He will review videos and give his input if you email him. His site also has lots of great information.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Anyone like these?

The last 3 stones you posted are very nice IMO....the first one has a little bit of a low crown/large table combo. I would be more
apt to pick one with a little bit higher crown. You can see the crown heights by looking at the side of the stones (from the girdle
to the table).

I'm not a fan of crushed ice cushions...if that's what you are looking for. I prefer them to have distinct, well-defined facets that
flash on/off.

@FashionNuggette The original stone you posted looks very "mushy" to me. Lots of virtual facets (mostly crushed ice). Its
really hard to evaluate without an ASET image to show what light is getting back to the viewer's eyes. Remember the
more virtual facets the more light bounces around (and the more light you lose). You have to decide what type of
faceting pattern you prefer...more crushed ice or something with bigger facets.

Good luck!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@FashionNuggette, if you like any of the ones I posted, you can find them on loosegrowndiamond.com. The certificate numbers are attached to the links.

I didn’t price compare, and sometimes the same stones can be found for a lower price on other sites. If you find a lower price, some competitors will price match. They are in the $600-700 range.

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
Those appear to have more of a crushed ice appearance. Cushions come in two general types - brilliant and crushed ice. I'm not versed in the crushed ice cushion characteristics enough to distinguish good ones from bad ones.

Here's a video comparing the two, although they are square cushions. You'll get the general idea, though. You need to decide which type you want.

My understanding is that when the crushed ice versions get dirty (and diamonds are grease magnets so they will always get dirty), they dull more than the brilliant type. But this might be hearsay since mine is a brilliant type. Get many more opinions than mine!

And Paul Gian of beyondthe4cs.com helped me choose my cushion. He will review videos and give his input if you email him. His site also has lots of great information.

Thank you so much! Hadn’t heard that about crushed ice but I’ll keep that in mind. Will definitely reach out to Paul!

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
@FashionNuggette, if you like any of the ones I posted, you can find them on loosegrowndiamond.com. The certificate numbers are attached to the links.

I didn’t price compare, and sometimes the same stones can be found for a lower price on other sites. If you find a lower price, some competitors will price match. They are in the $600-700 range.

Thank you! I’ll check those out and look around!

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
The last 3 stones you posted are very nice IMO....the first one has a little bit of a low crown/large table combo. I would be more
apt to pick one with a little bit higher crown. You can see the crown heights by looking at the side of the stones (from the girdle
to the table).

I'm not a fan of crushed ice cushions...if that's what you are looking for. I prefer them to have distinct, well-defined facets that
flash on/off.

@FashionNuggette The original stone you posted looks very "mushy" to me. Lots of virtual facets (mostly crushed ice). Its
really hard to evaluate without an ASET image to show what light is getting back to the viewer's eyes. Remember the
more virtual facets the more light bounces around (and the more light you lose). You have to decide what type of
faceting pattern you prefer...more crushed ice or something with bigger facets.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input! That’s super helpful. I definitely don’t want a full on crushed ice stone, but was hoping for a hybrid if that makes sense? I really like having some of the tiny, glittering sparkles you can see in crushed ice (they make me feel like I’m looking into a whole universe lol), but I also like seeing some defined facet.

I guess I’m a bit confused about how to tell from the certificate if it’s crushed ice, brilliant or a hybrid, as all the certificates I’ve seen say brilliant/modified brilliant. I thought modified brilliant was a bit of a hybrid between brilliant and crushed ice?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I’m a bit confused about how to tell from the certificate if it’s crushed ice, brilliant or a hybrid, as all the certificates I’ve seen say brilliant/modified brilliant. I thought modified brilliant was a bit of a hybrid between brilliant and crushed ice?

I just use my eyes. I don’t know what the industry definitions are. I suspect it may have something to do with what the gemologist sees under the microscope.

Here’s something from Ritani. It basically also says “use your eyes.”

FashionNuggette

Rough_Rock
I just use my eyes. I don’t know what the industry definitions are. I suspect it may have something to do with what the gemologist sees under the microscope.

Here’s something from Ritani. It basically also says “use your eyes.”

Gotcha, thank you! I’ll be sure to take a look at Ritani’s page

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The original video has no tilt. I wonder if you tilted the stone if the triangle wiould disappear - or move to the bottom.
Keep looking, there are better, crisper diamonds in the cut you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results