shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone else in MA, or New England get an invitation to a RR event at the Sheraton Boston May 8-10? Has anyone ever been to one of these?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else in MA, or New England get an invitation to a RR event at the Sheraton Boston May 8-10? Has anyone ever been to one of these?

I got an invite to a prior one but couldn’t make it. I think it mostly targeted towards consigners?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got an invite to a prior one but couldn’t make it. I think it mostly targeted towards consigners?

Yes, it sounds like it. They seem to give credits to people who bring high value items. I'm not a consigner, so don't know why I got it though.

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

What was the price on this? Curious!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a lovely ring, .65cttw, 18k, with engraving stating 1901. This sellers prices are on the higher side I find, but the pieces are all in lovely condition. The diamonds are very nice looking and you cannot recreate this ring for this price. Sako makes settings like this and last time he mentioned prices it was 1800+ USD. Size 7.5. This is a common style for the era but I like the proportions and quality of this one very much.

1714844411540.png

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is a lovely ring, .65cttw, 18k, with engraving stating 1901. This sellers prices are on the higher side I find, but the pieces are all in lovely condition. The diamonds are very nice looking and you cannot recreate this ring for this price. Sako makes settings like this and last time he mentioned prices it was 1800+ USD. Size 7.5. This is a common style for the era but I like the proportions and quality of this one very much.

1714844411540.png

Less ctw but Similar to what @MakingTheGrade was contemplating

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Less ctw but Similar to what @MakingTheGrade was contemplating

Yes! The one she was contemplating was a 7 stone, though. Which is less common than these 5 stone versions. I really like the graduated look, which is why I've been perusing these types of rings. My ring size is large and I want higher cttw, so I am collecting my own suite.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love this. It's so odd but so cool. Someone talk me out of it

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love this. It's so odd but so cool. Someone talk me out of it

You won't be able to wear it around your baby! Just too much metal to bump and poke! :evil2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This necklace is close to scrap weight on the gold (88.8g!), $5295 from designer Robert Lee Morris
https://www.therealreal.com/products/jewelry/necklaces/multistrand/robert-lee-morris-18k-multistrand-pebble-necklace-l5b7k
1714868549729.png

With Friday's price, I get ~ $4928 for the gold content alone which means there's only a 7% premium?! That's nuts! Of course, it looks like a bag of frozen peas.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's hard because jewelry inherently has 5 prices where most products don't.

Let's use that 1950s gold ring:
1) Scrap - price of the components taken apart, the lowest price (i.e. gram weight of gold and the diamond) - (let's say 3.5 grams 18k gold at full spot and $200 for the diamond) = $495
2) Resale/secondhand price - usually the second lowest price of a piece, this can be 50-80% off retail = let's say seller accepts $1250
3) Replacement cost - the cost of recreating that piece (without 1950s providence) - picking this .61 J OEC and similar settings (adding $150 to add 2 prongs and change the head) = $1470
4) Full retail - I'm not searching forever for a 6 prong, picking this 1950s mens .59 transitional at $3000
5) Appraised value, typically 1.5-2x retail or similarly bananas - $5000

Personally, I don't think it's in the spirit of this thread to zone in on the scrap value of pieces. Obviously that's the dream, but it's discounting the providence, artistry and specialness of each piece. Plus, it's discounting the skill of many sellers we've talked about before that do excellent work of finding, selecting and reselling vintage pieces with an eye for the exceptional.

Jewelry buying is very personal and I fully support springing for the right pieces in one's collection. I'm always inspired by @mrs-b and her collection of beautiful, exceptional quality pieces.

I almost had a heart attack recently buying my white whale, truly a holy grail piece. But I'm so glad I did, 3 months later. I would've never seen it again.

Hi! Now I need to know all about this white whale! Edited: saw your post about it! Yay for that!

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
With Friday's price, I get ~ $4928 for the gold content alone which means there's only a 7% premium?! That's nuts! Of course, it looks like a bag of frozen peas.

But frozen peas dipped in gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results