shape
carat
color
clarity

14k vs 18k yellow gold

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts on 14k vs 18k yellow gold. I was planning on doing 14k but can’t get 18k out of my head. I’m doing a brushed finish solitaire. My reasoning for 14k over 18 was for durability reasons. I want it suitable for everyday wear. I’m terrified that 18 will scratch really easily especially in a matte finish. Thoughts?

i have 18k brushed gold for my er and a rolling ring, i don't notice them being more scratched than my 14k wedding band. i really like the brushed look but those rings look more scratched in general compared to my polished rings (i wear those less often though fwiw)

ETA the color of 18 vs 14k is different so that may also sway you one way or the other

I don't think it will scratch so much more easily that it should make a difference to your decision, especially if you are getting a matte finish. I would choose based on which color you like better.

FWIW, I think less-yellow gold (which almost always for modern gold is the lower karat one) looks better on almost everyone. There are very few skin tones where I think the more yellow gold looks better.

Thoughts on 14k vs 18k yellow gold. I was planning on doing 14k but can’t get 18k out of my head. I’m doing a brushed finish solitaire. My reasoning for 14k over 18 was for durability reasons. I want it suitable for everyday wear. I’m terrified that 18 will scratch really easily especially in a matte finish. Thoughts?

When brushed metal "scratches"/"patinas" it turns shiny, whereas when polished metal "scratches"/"patinas" it turns matte. Wear is much more visible when starting out with a matte finish (shiny-on-matte stands out more than matte-on-shiny).

The good thing about a matte finish is that if you aren't picky about directionality of brush it's pretty easy to maintain! The parts that do scratch and patina are the parts that are most exposed, which are also the parts that are easiest to run a ScotchBrite pad over ::)

I personally think you should decide based on the color. 18k was much too yellow for me. 14k is a pretty, slightly paler gold that compliments my skin tone more.

My current ring that I got almost a year ago is in 14k (after having platinum for many years). I, like @SouthernElle prefer the tone of the 14k better. I also do believe it is more durable for daily wear with a piece that gets a lot of handling as is the case with a ring versus a pendant, for example. Is a matte finish the same as a brushed finish?? What is tbe color grade of your diamond?

My current ring that I got almost a year ago is in 14k (after having platinum for many years). I, like @SouthernElle prefer the tone of the 14k better. I also do believe it is more durable for daily wear with a piece that gets a lot of handling as is the case with a ring versus a pendant, for example. Is a matte finish the same as a brushed finish?? What is tbe color grade of your diamond?

Think you for bringing up the matte finish and brush finish being the same or different. I need to do more research on this to make sure I’m properly communicating with the jeweler. I was considering them the same but I think matte is what I’m actually going for. My stone is P colored.

Think you for bringing up the matte finish and brush finish being the same or different. I need to do more research on this to make sure I’m properly communicating with the jeweler. I was considering them the same but I think matte is what I’m actually going for. My stone is P colored.

Good idea to check on the finish. As for color, i was thinking you may want to take into consideration the tone of the 14 v 18 but given your stone is a P it might be very pretty in 18. Can you have your jeweler show you how it would look aside each color? If online vendor, have the send photos.

I would also go with the colour rather than ct. For reference, this is a 9ct yellow gold band with a matte finish.

I scratched it within the first 8 hours of wearing. No one else will notice but the scratch is deep enough I can feel it with my finger nail (I think it was while I was driving). My jeweler offered to redo the finish (I was going to take sandpaper to it) but I think I'll just live with the fact the band will get scratched (although it would have been nice to manage longer than 8 hours).IMG_20200108_171357284.jpg

I love the more yellow color 18KT on a brushed setting.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP