shape
carat
color
clarity

1967 diamond grade shows .95 carat grade A3. What does this mean? No 4 C’s listing or grading.

Kramercat

Rough_Rock
I just saw an old “appraisal” from the jewelry seller dated 1967 (from Kansas City, Kansas) that described the following: a European cut diamond, .95 carat, grade A3.

What is grade A3 mean?

Your guess is as good as mine!

Pic of the stone?

I1 and I2 with warmish color, is what that says.

maybe this old thread helps.. and would be nice to see a photo of it

Last edited:
Back in the bad old days, every Tom, Dick, and Harriett had his/her proprietary grading system. A lot of them declared color as AAA, AA, A or even AAAA. There were many systems and none of them related well to other systems. Frankly, few of them had little acquaintance with reality, although a few did.

One of the reasons the GIA grading system started with D as the highest color was to avoid any comparison or confusion with the multitudinous private grading systems already in existence.

Lol, one of the few benefits to being a geezer is having lived through some very interesting times. Although I am very old, compared to most of you, even I am not old enough to have been immersed in the multitudinous diamond grading systems. I am, however, old enough that I was taught about them by my instructors at GIA, back in 1975

Maybe one of the vendors an answer this? @Texas Leaguer @Wink?

or maybe someone like @Karl_K ?

Every once in a while a subject comes up that reminds me I'm not quite as old as crystallized carbon :)

As Wink says there was a crazy quilt of grading systems in the olden days, most of which had some combination of A's. Interestingly, I recall being taught that in one of the systems A was best and AAA was worst, which is counter to what most people would think. By design! Which leaves us little way to know if this was a clunker or a showstopper. A3 sounds suspiciously like Triple A though.

Sorry to be of zero help!

Some clues on this thread...

This is very interesting but 1967 predates Rapaport. Martin was probably still a struggling diamond broker at that point!

It would be great to get more intel from @oldminer on the rap "A" system.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP