shape
carat
color
clarity

2.088 CER in Sophia Setting (lots of pics)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your story. The ring looks stunning on her!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: How romantic! Thank you for sharing with us! Was she thrilled with the ring? It looks beautiful on her finger :love: Congrats!

Loreal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations and welcome to the VC family.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does sound like a perfect day! The ring looks fabulous on her and I am sure she is thrilled. Thanks for sharing the proposal with us and best wishes for many happy years together!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your proposal story, Rhowie. Those hand shots! It's beautiful!! Congratulations :)

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Rhowie, your proposal was so thoughtful and sweet. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Your photos are gorgeous as always, and your fiancee wears her e-ring very well!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's such a wonderful thoughtful fantastic proposal. Her ring is gorgeous. Best of luck for the many years together you'll hopefully have

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great story! I loved reading all about it. The book looks fantastic, and such a wonderful memento . I hope you come back and show us the wedding ring that goes with it. Congratulations and many wishes for a happy life.

P

PierreBear

I got goosebumps reading your proposal stories. Wow, it was as if it was straight out of a movie! Good job with all the planning and the details! Thanks again for sharing!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
That proposal story is almost as stunning as the ring. Congratulations and best wishes for your future happiness!

Rhowie

Rough_Rock
After living with her new friend for a week now, my fiancee said that she thinks her ring is "absolutely perfect". That's as much as I could hope for. I think Sophia will be with us for a good long while.

The next challenge will be deciding what to do about a wedding band. The challenge is less about selecting a design than deciding how to wear it. She has always assumed she would wear a band on the same finger as her engagement ring, but that seems to be ill-advised by many people here as well as Victor himself. He says that wearing both together will eventually damage both. It also seems that the Sophia design with the tapered shanks is not particularly well-suited to sharing the limelight.

We'll need to figure that out, but for now, the engagement ring seems to be a hit.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! Wishing you and your fiancée the best! Who doesn't like the Bay! Glad you had a special proposal in the City and now enjoying your engagement! Love your ring and way to go in doing right for your girl! Make sure it's insured and love every moment!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t believe I missed this! This is an incredible piece of art. Absolutely perfect in every way!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, the stats for skimmers:
2.088 G VS2
Canera European Round (CER)
8.06 - 8.09 x 5.1 mm
1.26 ctw G VS tapered High Crown French Cut Sides

IMG_9841.jpg

Here is the history of how our ring came to be. It's rather long, so feel free to skip to the pictures. I will be proposing in less than 2 weeks. It will be exciting (I hope) to see her reaction to both the question and the ring.

My story seems to be common on PriceScope. I have spent an enormous number of hours reading and learning over the past 2 years, but have never posted. Now that I have used the information I gathered here to make a selection, I thought I should share it with all the people who have helped me. I have no doubt that the result is far better than if I had attempted to do this in retail-land.

I started by looking through pictures of 1,000+ setting to get ideas. I had not previously spent a lot of time looking at rings, so I didn't have known preferences. My gf was also not the typical PS'er who knew exactly what she wanted. I saved about 50 or so favorite candidates for her to review. We augmented that with some visits to brick & mortar stores. It was interesting that even though there don't seem to be very many in circulation, we both were consistently drawn to tapered shank rings. Our shared favorite settings were 5-stone with trapezoid/bullet sides or a setting with tapered French Cuts.

I guess it is somewhat backwards to some people that we started with settings before the diamond, but that made sense to us. Unfortunately, the settings we liked demanded a fairly large diamond for proper proportions.

Next, we started looking at cut styles. We considered cushions, MRB's and OEC's. Once again, I collected pictures of each on PS and gave them to her for feedback. We decided we liked round, but initially I was most focused on MRB's because Cut was the top priority and H&A diamonds seemed to have that wrapped up. My gf used positive words like "soft" and "not spikey" to describe OEC's which left me conflicted between her preferences and cut quality. PS to the rescue again. I eventually found some threads describing modern cut OEC's. Problem solved. We can get the soft flower-like facet pattern of the OEC with modern cut precision and performance. The only two options for these cuts were August Vintage Round (AVR) and Canera European Round (CER).

That left the final decision to be selecting a jeweler who could put it all together. I read lots of feedback on PS and decided that Victor Canera's collaborative and service-oriented approach was most appealing. The fact that I liked what I saw on PS with his Sophia settings and that he was one of only two providers of modern OEC diamonds, he seemed like the right choice for a one-stop solution.

DSC01772.jpg DSC01775.jpg

The only real drawback to the emerging project was that the selection of modern OEC diamonds is tiny compared to H&A MRB's. Most Sophia settings for round diamonds seemed to be 3+ carats. That was well beyond my budget. Although Victor would not give me a minimum size that would work for the proportions of the Sophia, I proposed his 2.088 ct CER and asked, "can you make this work”? It was smaller than most of his previous Sophia’s with rounds, but he said he was confident that he could do it. I think the final result proves that he was right.

I scheduled a trip to see Victor in LA. I told him that my objective for the ring was different than the "vintage" or "antique" look that most people want from a Sophia, particularly with a CER. My objective was, "A Classic design with modern craftsmanship standards and minimal ornamentation". That meant no mill grain, no engraving, single prongs and of course, a modern cut stone. The design was to be very clean & contemporary despite the classic diamond cuts. Perhaps because we started at the end with choosing a setting before the diamond, this ring is noticeably different than most for OEC's. I am very happy with Victor and the ring he created. I hope she will be too.

Thank you for everyone's help.

_DSC4492.jpg _DSC4503.jpg _DSC4524.jpg _DSC4526.jpg _DSC4541.jpg _DSC4557.jpg _DSC4616-Edit.jpg

You really did your homework and it paid off beautifully!! Sheer perfection!

P

Petalouda

This setting is one of my all time faves. Absolutely spectacular

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn’t seen this and it is absolutely gorgeous. Victor’s work is always stunning, but this is over the top somehow. I think the modern touches are perfect here. Milgrain and engraving are wonderful but this just transforms into a completely different creation without them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results