shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd OEC came in the mail! Which should I keep?

Which OEC should I keep?

• Diamond #1 (1.48 GIA M)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Diamond #2 (1.51 EGL L)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even with second video I like the one that looks bigger from the top, #2. Yes I think this has the lower crown but I still like the sparkle pattern more. Go with what you like.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 1 is so out of round that I would rule it out for that alone for a ring. The second one is a maybe. I'm worried about the darkness in the center. Keep looking. There are more stones out there. Get the best one you can!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely prefer stone 1, even with the fact that it isn't perfectly round. But as I said in another thread, the lack of round doesn't bother me as much as it might others. I also get the feeling you prefer stone 1 (although I certainly could be wrong!) Go with your gut!!! :wavey:

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
It's cloudy outside! Here video and pics under this light condition:

https://youtu.be/sNjwWBLP4BE

My thoughts so far:
-Diamond #1 has better light performance...possibly. It's questionable because these two are so tempermental! When it comes to most light conditions, they have very similar performances.
-The main difference is in direct sunlight, where the center of diamond #2 doesn't light up like #1. However, the bright color flashes of #2 in direct sunlight is seriously blinding in a good way and distracts from the center. Huge, huge flashes!
-Another difference is in certain lighting, I can rotate #2 in a way that makes all the facets turn on and off at once like a wiper effect. Not so much for #1, where you always have at least a few facets on, and the center always has AT LEAST 1 facet on at all times. This is of course when I hold the diamonds 5 inches from my face. Held at half arms length, all the facets are on for both!
-While the center of #1 is more consistently lit, there are a few facets near the girdle that do go dark.
-Diamond #1 has a pretty flower shape, while #2 has a really neat starburst shape.
-#2 has better symmetry, but #1's wonky has grown on me and isn't that noticeable unless the diamond is 5 inches from my face
-I love #1's profile, though I can live without it
-I love #2's size, though I wonder if it'll start to look too blingy on my size 5 finger. Then there's this DSS thing :dance:
-#2 is more yellow, but not by much, and there is only one light condition where it was noticeably more yellow from the top. I plan on setting in white gold or Stuller x1 white gold.
-If I got #2 first, I would have kept it for sure. However, I got #1 first, so that changes things a little!

Thanks for the input so far! These babies go back to New York tomorrow and it'll be a while 'til I have this many large diamonds to play with again (to the relief of my boyfriend)!

img_20151115_145926.jpg

img_20151115_0.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
so, what does your gut instinct tell you....

which stone is it?

or are you going to wait and find another stone?

:)

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Question!

Below is a picture of diamond #2. Occasionally at certain angles and lighting the center seems to go dark (slightly less frequently for #1). However, the facets are usually on and both diamonds have pretty good light performances.

Is what's pictured known as the dreaded nailhead effect?

img_20151115_214751.jpg

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
After much thought, I've decided on Diamond #1!!! Why, do you ask?

-More consistent light performance across the board, and a center that basically almost never goes dark
-Better center faceting
-Better color
-Better side profile
-It's wonky and asymmetrical like me (I have scoliosis)!
-It's wonky but consistently shining and bright, like my relationship!
-I feel like the stone has been trying to impress me since I got it in the mail, and the idea of giving it back makes me super, super sad. I'm sure #2 will find an owner because most people like perfectly symmetrical stones, but I don't think I'll ever find a stone like #1 again.

My social circles may judge me for having a wonky stone, but I think it's perfect for me and my boyfriend.

I feel so relieved right now! Thank you again for the input and the help! Now onward to getting this stone mounted!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Awesome choice.

DOnt look back now...

Dont second guess yourself.

the only person that has to like this ring and stone is you. you do not have to please the masses!

Enjoy and cant wait to see the final product!!!!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your decision and looking forward to seeing your finished ring. Your summarization sounds very appropriate and meaningful to you. :appl:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Perfect choice for you - its a gorgeous stone - wonky just makes it unique

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
and only a PSer will notice the wonkiness, no one else will. So don't point it out to everyone!

Once it is set, it will be a beautiful ring, with a diamond that spoke to you (and said "please keep me!").

Congratulations!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hooray for making a choice! It definitely sounds like the right choice for you, and I'm glad you listened to your gut :appl:

I can't wait to see it set, it's going to be gorgeous!!!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on making your choice! :appl: It's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results