shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prong vs 6 prong?

Do you have any more photos of the Five Stone band with a solitaire? I'm currently tried to find a good setting for my 1.9 round brilliant to go with my five Stone band. I'm having issues with them rubbing together. Is there a spacer in between the two?
Yes, she had the same issue as you, so she does wear a 2mm spacer b/t the two rings.

It's really fascinating to see how many of you prefer a six prong look. I am firmly in the four prong camp and the only six prong styles I like don't have a prong at 12 o'clock.

Like this: img-thing.jpg

I am personally a 6 prong girl for thing claw/prong rings...if you went with a double claw or some of the wider prongs I prefer the look of 4 prongs...

This is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that although I prefer 6 prongs on a round solitaire, there are several 4 prong settings that will always call my name...

For example:

CVB Acacia
Schubach 3 stone with tiny sides
Schubach Scroll solitaire
Three stone with rounds
Three stone with baguettes

I prefer 4 prongs if the diamond is under say 1.5 carat, if the diamond is too small and you put too many prongs around it, it'll make the diamond look even smaller. Also more prongs = less light and less reflections.

I was in the 4-prong camp until one day when someone slammed a door on my hand which bent one of my prongs and my 2.05 D-VS2 fell to the floor. I had to sit through 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal with a diamond in my pants pocket.
So, the new rule for myself is that any diamond over 2 cts must be set with 6 prongs, plus the extra prongs help protect the girdle too and make the diamond look rounder than square. I have followed this rule for my pear and two CBI diamonds.
We are currently working on the CAD for my 3-stone ring with a 2.21 F-SI1 CBI diamond and I must say that 4 prongs for the center and two side stones is sure tempting.
Years ago @Wink told me that 80% of stone losses were from 4-prong mountings.
I tend to be risk adverse so 6 prongs it is.

I’m a 4 prong cathedral girl all the way. The Tiffany 6 prong setting just looks “wrong” on my finger

But there’s another option....8 prong settings!

I love it when old threads come back to life

6 prong for the extra security... The nature of the prongs, how rounded they are, how deeply they grip the diamond, the shape of the basket. There are so many options...

But definitely one for he 6 prong camp here. As much as I don't mind the classic 4 prong Cartier setting ... there's something timeless also about the 6 prong.

Custom-Channel-Diamond-Wedding-Set-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_47299_28895_g.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7619.JPG
    IMG_7619.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
I lost a 2ct diamond when it fell out of its 4 prong setting, so naturally I'm biased in favor of the 6 prong.

Years ago @Wink told me that 80% of stone losses were from 4-prong mountings.

I do not know if that is an industry average, it just happens to be my personal experience in over forty years as a jeweler/gemologist.

Wink

A years-long debate: four prong vs six prongs

The difference is primarily aesthetic. If a ring is properly made, 4 prongs are not a security risk. However, with either 6 or 4 prongs the mounting should be checked regularly.

In my experience there is no discernible difference in light performance.

My mom lost her diamond out of a 6 prong a couple of years ago. She also just bashed the head a few weeks ago and pushed one of the prongs right next to its neighboring prong. Luckily she caught that one before she lost the stone again.

I really wanted a 4-prong for a 2ct but hearing that a 6-prong is safer makes me just want to curl up and faint when thinking about it falling out. I know checking it regularly helps and I should trust my setter, but accidents happen. Do you think that if I check the prongs weekly by testing them gently it’ll help? After reading this nightmare post I feel so terrified: https://dayre.me/kimkm/iAk62oE1pN

My country does not insure single items and only insures for home value of $40-50,000 and above, so the prongs have to be my “insurance”.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP