shape
carat
color
clarity

Another neighbor''s barking dog issue....what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 6:12:46 PM
Author: Steel
I am sorry this is not a helpful thing to say but...

I HATE neighbours.

29.gif

DITTO. We have the rudest, loudest neighbors we''ve ever had right now. I can''t WAIT to buy a house and get out of here! I hate their guts!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
As for the original question, I''m not sure what I would do. My old neighbors had a dog and left it alone too much, and it would bark and howl all the time. I left a note telling them that the dog was lonely and it was depressing to hear it howl constantly, and they apparently got the hint and spent more time with the dog because it seemed to stop barking and howling so much.

However this lady is obviously not as reasonable! I would really just call the police if this woman won''t take care of the situation. There is no reason that your child needs to be disturbed because your neighbor won''t take care of her dog.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
So I don''t have a brilliant solution but you have my sympathies. I have been living with neighbors that have the most annoying barky dogs ever. They started with one and are now up to 3! One of their dogs spent an hour yesterday howling. Non-stop howling! And I''m sure you''re not going to want to hear this but this is year 7 for me of these neighbors.

I have a dog now and he can be barky too! If they bark he goes off as well, it''s a bark symphony! Argh! Anyways this is what I use on my dog and this is the one thing that truly works.
http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Spray-Sense-Anti-Collar/dp/B0002D31QU

But it takes more than just putting a collar on my dog. I have to work with him all the time on this behavior. If your neighbor isn''t really willing to put in the work then I''m not sure how it can be rectified. Also how rude are they to allow their dog to be that annoying. We hate it when our dog barks and barks. It''s so irritating to us I can''t even imagine what the neighbors think. We work on keeping him quiet at all times.

I wish I could call the cops on my neighbors but the dogs have to be barking for 30min straight for them to get cited and the cops won''t even say when they''ll come out. If they don''t come out right away when I call or first thing in the morning there''s never a period of 30 min straight barking. It goes in waves day in and day out. I just do my best to tune it out. I know that sucks but I like where I live and how much rent I pay and don''t plan on moving until we buy a place or move out of state so for now I suck it up.

I''m sorry I don''t have great advice. If I were you I''d find out what you can do via animal control or the local police to report them. In fact this has inspired me to try that route again. Doesn''t hurt to try.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh this makes me so annoyed and I am a dog owner! It is not your job or responsibility to have to buy anything to make their dog quiet! They should do it. (although I understand why you are) Seriously, send them a bill for it because their behavior is wrong. I know at my aunt''s shore house the owner can get fined if the dog barks for more than a half hour. Def look into it.

I am just really sorry because this gives dog owners a bad name and really annoys me when people aren''t responsible with their pets.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 1:13:56 AM
Author: violet02
So I don''t have a brilliant solution but you have my sympathies. I have been living with neighbors that have the most annoying barky dogs ever. They started with one and are now up to 3! One of their dogs spent an hour yesterday howling. Non-stop howling! And I''m sure you''re not going to want to hear this but this is year 7 for me of these neighbors.

I have a dog now and he can be barky too! If they bark he goes off as well, it''s a bark symphony! Argh! Anyways this is what I use on my dog and this is the one thing that truly works.

But it takes more than just putting a collar on my dog. I have to work with him all the time on this behavior. If your neighbor isn''t really willing to put in the work then I''m not sure how it can be rectified. Also how rude are they to allow their dog to be that annoying. We hate it when our dog barks and barks. It''s so irritating to us I can''t even imagine what the neighbors think. We work on keeping him quiet at all times.

I wish I could call the cops on my neighbors but the dogs have to be barking for 30min straight for them to get cited and the cops won''t even say when they''ll come out. If they don''t come out right away when I call or first thing in the morning there''s never a period of 30 min straight barking. It goes in waves day in and day out. I just do my best to tune it out. I know that sucks but I like where I live and how much rent I pay and don''t plan on moving until we buy a place or move out of state so for now I suck it up.

I''m sorry I don''t have great advice. If I were you I''d find out what you can do via animal control or the local police to report them. In fact this has inspired me to try that route again. Doesn''t hurt to try.
A friend of mine actualy videotaped the neighbor''s dogs barking and she placed her watch and cell phone showing the time and then filmed everything with sound. She put it on a tripod and videotaped it for almost 3 hours. She sent a copy to the police and township in which she lived. They kept it anonymous and the neighbors were cited and paid a hefty fine. Oh, and also they had at least 5 dogs and there is an ordinance regarding how many dogs you can have, plus none of them had dog licenses. No more problems after that!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 11:52:15 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Will you let us know if the ultrasonic thing works? I have been THIS CLOSE to buying one to deal with my neighbor''s dog for a while now. If it works for you, I''m buying one for sure!

And you have my sympathy - we have been dealing with the same thing on and off for about 2 years now, and it''s very irritating!

Also, I agree that it sounds like the dog is very unhappy in the yard. He or she would be much happier with exercise and time spend with the family in the house! One of my dogs needs to be crated to help her with her separation anxiety, and she never minds going into her crate. She has plenty of room, toys, and fresh water at all times. We''re all more relaxed knowing that she is safe and our house is too. As long as the dog is not left for hours on end, I think a crate is kind, not cruel.
TanDogMom, I have one of the ultrasonic devices and it works for me. I used it on my dog when he would bark incessantly, and while he barks to announce that someone is at the door he does not go on and on anymore for apparently no reason. I primarily use it when I go running, because I have had a number of dogs go after me, while they just get through the "invisible fence" (this is another joke- invisible fence!). It is easier for me to use this than to pulll out the pepper spray and hopefully get them in the snout.

I also spoke with our local police department and dog warden regarding what I can carry to protect myself from getting attacked while running and the dog warden said to get a taser. When I asked the police about this they said that it was ok to carry a civilian taser and if the dog comes at me alll I need to do is aim it at the ground right in front of them and it will stop them in their tracks. I have not bought a taser because the ultrasonic device works well. But just so you know it may not work on older dogs whose hearing is bad, but once you''re too old I guess you''re too old to chase runners and not enough energy to bark all day.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:42:37 AM
Author: soocool

Date: 3/3/2009 1:13:56 AM
Author: violet02
So I don't have a brilliant solution but you have my sympathies. I have been living with neighbors that have the most annoying barky dogs ever. They started with one and are now up to 3! One of their dogs spent an hour yesterday howling. Non-stop howling! And I'm sure you're not going to want to hear this but this is year 7 for me of these neighbors.

I have a dog now and he can be barky too! If they bark he goes off as well, it's a bark symphony! Argh! Anyways this is what I use on my dog and this is the one thing that truly works.

But it takes more than just putting a collar on my dog. I have to work with him all the time on this behavior. If your neighbor isn't really willing to put in the work then I'm not sure how it can be rectified. Also how rude are they to allow their dog to be that annoying. We hate it when our dog barks and barks. It's so irritating to us I can't even imagine what the neighbors think. We work on keeping him quiet at all times.

I wish I could call the cops on my neighbors but the dogs have to be barking for 30min straight for them to get cited and the cops won't even say when they'll come out. If they don't come out right away when I call or first thing in the morning there's never a period of 30 min straight barking. It goes in waves day in and day out. I just do my best to tune it out. I know that sucks but I like where I live and how much rent I pay and don't plan on moving until we buy a place or move out of state so for now I suck it up.

I'm sorry I don't have great advice. If I were you I'd find out what you can do via animal control or the local police to report them. In fact this has inspired me to try that route again. Doesn't hurt to try.
A friend of mine actualy videotaped the neighbor's dogs barking and she placed her watch and cell phone showing the time and then filmed everything with sound. She put it on a tripod and videotaped it for almost 3 hours. She sent a copy to the police and township in which she lived. They kept it anonymous and the neighbors were cited and paid a hefty fine. Oh, and also they had at least 5 dogs and there is an ordinance regarding how many dogs you can have, plus none of them had dog licenses. No more problems after that!
Woah! Great idea!!! I bet none of them have dog licenses either!

I have to try this! Thank you!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
She is probably very embarrassed that her dog is a noisy pup...and that''s probably stressful too. I hope training works. Eek

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:52:18 AM
Author: soocool
Date: 3/2/2009 11:52:15 PM

Author: TanDogMom

Will you let us know if the ultrasonic thing works? I have been THIS CLOSE to buying one to deal with my neighbor''s dog for a while now. If it works for you, I''m buying one for sure!

And you have my sympathy - we have been dealing with the same thing on and off for about 2 years now, and it''s very irritating!

Also, I agree that it sounds like the dog is very unhappy in the yard. He or she would be much happier with exercise and time spend with the family in the house! One of my dogs needs to be crated to help her with her separation anxiety, and she never minds going into her crate. She has plenty of room, toys, and fresh water at all times. We''re all more relaxed knowing that she is safe and our house is too. As long as the dog is not left for hours on end, I think a crate is kind, not cruel.
TanDogMom, I have one of the ultrasonic devices and it works for me. I used it on my dog when he would bark incessantly, and while he barks to announce that someone is at the door he does not go on and on anymore for apparently no reason. I primarily use it when I go running, because I have had a number of dogs go after me, while they just get through the ''invisible fence'' (this is another joke- invisible fence!). It is easier for me to use this than to pulll out the pepper spray and hopefully get them in the snout.

I also spoke with our local police department and dog warden regarding what I can carry to protect myself from getting attacked while running and the dog warden said to get a taser. When I asked the police about this they said that it was ok to carry a civilian taser and if the dog comes at me alll I need to do is aim it at the ground right in front of them and it will stop them in their tracks. I have not bought a taser because the ultrasonic device works well. But just so you know it may not work on older dogs whose hearing is bad, but once you''re too old I guess you''re too old to chase runners and not enough energy to bark all day.

soocool, thanks for sharing your success with the ultrasonic! I am glad it works for you and I too would much rather carry that than a taser or pepper spray - sounds like it works well and no risk of hurting the dog. I guess I''ve been lucky, I run too but I haven''t had a problem with dogs chasing me.

The only reason I have held off is that, well, first off like another poster said it irks me that I have to spend money to deal with someone else''s problem (but if it works - it will be worth it). The other reason is that the neighbor said they have tried several types off bark collars and the dog is so stubborn and large, they had no effect. I wonder if the ultrasonic is also a waste of money on this particular dog. It does have a 30 day guarantee so I guess there is no cost except shipping and time. I''ll probably give it a try! That''s a good point about the dog''s hearing - but I think this dog hears fine; she is only about 4 or 5 years old. I would not want to encounter her while running (she is very mean!) and I hope you never run into her either!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results