shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I've just bought this opal (darkish, Lightning Ridge). It's only blue and green, and not the most contrasty, but it has well-defined sharp-edged blocks of colour, and the transparency gives a fascinating 3-dimensional look.
OpalComp.jpg
(Width about 10mm)

The right picture was taken in softened sunlight. Only a few blocks light up, but the contrast is reasonable. The left picture was taken in shade under a clear sky. With light from more directions, more blocks light up, but the contrast is lower.

I'm thinking this may have been a mistake. Not that it's bad, but that it's diverted money from a potentially better (i.e. more contrasty) one. But, mistake or not, it's fascinating!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get to join this thread thanks to several of you who encouraged me to take a chance. This is a solid black opal. I am mesmerized by its colors!
IMG_4420.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 3

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Recently purchased this Ethiopian dark crystal/base opal. I like it enough, but not "blown away" - maybe I like darker opals? This has a gray tint to it, but shows up light on my skin.
IMG_9044.jpeg IMG_9045.jpeg IMG_9046.jpeg IMG_9047.jpeg

Video:

Would like to turn into a pendant, but having second thoughts about keeping it.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Recently purchased this Ethiopian dark crystal/base opal. I like it enough, but not "blown away" - maybe I like darker opals? This has a gray tint to it, but shows up light on my skin.

Video:

Very pretty Opal. White backgrounds wash an Opal out to the camera's eye, but what I can see looks very nice. It still shows strong colors on a white background in the video. That is the mark of a bright Opal.

Good thing there is gray in it, jet black Ethiopian Opal are smoked or dyed, very few true blacks.

Whether you keep it or not is your decision. I don't think anyone here can make that for you.

Last edited:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty Opal. White backgrounds wash an Opal out to the camera's eye, but what I can see looks very nice. It still shows strong colors on a white background in the video. That is the mark of a bright Opal.

Good thing there is gray in it, jet black Ethiopian Opal are smoked or dyed, very few true blacks.

Whether you keep it or not is your decision. I don't think anyone here can make that for you.
Thank you so much for the feedback @fredflintstone ! I think my issue is I just expected it to be darker (this is my first Ethiopian opal), but it’s growing on me! I do love the play of color.

Here is a video of it on a dark background. It was so difficult to capture it without blowing out all the colors on the phone camera:

Do you think setting it in a pendant with a closed back will darken it a bit (I was initially planning on an open back)?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Video:

Afterthought:

One question. It almost looks like you are taking your pictures and possibly video under diffused (shaded) light or very low light. Diffused light is the worst light to see an Opal under. It mutes all the colors. Opal lives for direct light. Even if so, it shows considerable color.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback @fredflintstone ! I think my issue is I just expected it to be darker (this is my first Ethiopian opal), but it’s growing on me! I do love the play of color.

Here is a video of it on a dark background. It was so difficult to capture it without blowing out all the colors on the phone camera:

Do you think setting it in a pendant with a closed back will darken it a bit (I was initially planning on an open back)?

Probably not, but with that said, you always want a comfort back or closed back setting for Ethiopian Opal, as much is hydrophane, which means it absorbs liquids.

So, to keep sweat off the back of your Opal you need that, otherwise it may absorb the sweat and if you put perfume or lotion on, keep away as it may dull the color play. Some Ethiopian Opal is not hydrophane though. But better to be safe. If you do that you will have an Opal that will look great for a lifetime.

I have a Welo Opal ring. Many years old. It looks as good as the day I bought it. It has a comfort back setting.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Also, do not shower with an Ethiopian Opal on. It can absorb the soap from the water. Always take it off before showering.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Afterthought:

One question. It almost looks like you are taking your pictures and possibly video under diffused (shaded) light or very low light. Diffused light is the worst light to see an Opal under. It mutes all the colors. Opal lives for direct light. Even if so, it shows considerable color.
Yes, I was in a shaded area with no artificial lights on...it was the only way I could figure out to capture the colors that I see with my eyes. It seems my phone camera cannot handle the opal in direct sunlight and washes everything out?

Probably not, but with that said, you always want a comfort back or closed back setting for Ethiopian Opal, as much is hydrophane, which means it absorbs liquids.

So, to keep sweat off the back of your Opal you need that, otherwise it may absorb the sweat and if you put perfume or lotion on, keep away as it may dull the color play. Some Ethiopian Opal is not hydrophane though. But better to be safe. If you do that you will have an Opal that will look great for a lifetime.

I have a Welo Opal ring. Many years old. It looks as good as the day I bought it. It has a comfort back setting.

Also, do not shower with an Ethiopian Opal on. It can absorb the soap from the water. Always take it off before showering.
Got it - thank you again for the feedback and tips!!!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I was in a shaded area with no artificial lights on...it was the only way I could figure out to capture the colors that I see with my eyes. It seems my phone camera cannot handle the opal in direct sunlight and washes everything out?

Got it - thank you again for the feedback and tips!!!

If your phone camera has a way to turn down the light let into its lens, that is the way to capture the true colors of Opal and still have it under direct light.

Unfortunately, many phone cameras do not have this and the color play gets washed out. Stand alone cameras are best for this but can be expensive.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If your phone camera has a way to turn down the light let into its lens, that is the way to capture the true colors of Opal and still have it under direct light.

Unfortunately, many phone cameras do not have this and the color play gets washed out. Stand alone cameras are best for this but can be expensive.

Thank you for this tip! I think I was able to do it. I also wanted to take video next to something (my emerald ring in this case) to see if the colors are true to life.

The video is a little less intense than what I see with my naked eye (the photo is more accurate), but much better than the washed out videos I previously took! Will practice some more!
IMG_9090.jpeg

Video:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results