shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: August Vintage Cushion compared to a BGD Round Brilliant

Cachette|1315273538|3010405 said:
Get some rest and get well soon Dreamer!

We`ll wait. Patiently. :bigsmile:

The AVC is a beautiful stone. IMHO, and based on your pictures, I like it better than your RB (which is a gorgeous stone also!) but I'm sure IRL it must be very different....

Take care.

Cachette :))
Cachette I read in moosemom's thread you are thinking of getting a low color AVC. I can unequivocally tell you to go for it and go for an M-N color too. Rhino told me he has a whole big batch of new wamr AVCs coming in soon, very soon :)) I am color sensitive and do not like tint in white diamonds, but I find the color of the M AVC very appealing. I suspect you would too!

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer I'm with you on the AVC... I had ordered an M AVC just to get a glimpse at one. And when I opened the box I was blown away!! I honestly was not expecting to find it so beautiful. And like you I wasn't very fond of my K ACA, but was really surprised to find myself not minding the color of the M. As a matter of fact I currently have the 1.7 K AVC on hold :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

HeatherL|1315356076|3011141 said:
Dreamer I'm with you on the AVC... I had ordered an M AVC just to get a glimpse at one. And when I opened the box I was blown away!! I honestly was not expecting to find it so beautiful. And like you I wasn't very fond of my K ACA, but was really surprised to find myself not minding the color of the M. As a matter of fact I currently have the 1.7 K AVC on hold :bigsmile:

Interesting! I considered that K but for me, part of switching stones was to pocket some money and the M made more sense. I do have some photos for you of the K that Jon sent me... It looks great!

AVCcolorcompareK3.jpg

AVCcolorcompareK.jpg

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock

Ooooh Thanks for the photos Dreamer, it does look great!!! Are you leaning more towards the AVC? For me its been an easy choice, I liked my RB but when I saw the AVC I feel in love with it....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have to say- that warm AVC is stunning! I am super jealous that you have it in your posession. I am really curious as to what you are leaning towards. I often dream of an asscher- an AVC- and emerald cut- lol... but it always comes down to- would I trade in my RB for one of those as my Ering stone??? hmm....

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

Hi Dreamer,

Love your vanilla AVC, it looks delicious!

What do you think about the AVC "dark triangle"?
I've noticed on my stone that at certain angles my AVC displays a dark obstruction triangle. For a little while it really bugged me, but I decided that my AVC's other qualities outweighed it, so I haven't changed cuts. I expect it's a standard feature of all AVCs. Do you think it would bother you ?

Hope you make a decision that makes you happy!

avcdarktriangle.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hopedream - my AVC does the same thing. I think it is a normal property of all AVC's... all diamonds to some extent I think. It's part of the "contrast" that Jon speaks of frequently - the "off" vs "on" of the AVC facets are more obvious due to their size is my belief. But even my ideal cut round has dark facets like that - they just aren't as obvious since the facets are more like slivers as opposed to large chunks seen in the AVC's.

Beautiful stone(s) - please keep us posted on your decision making process!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hopedream I never noticed but now that you do I see it too!

I don't think that is obstruction per se, but rather the high crown means that when pointed at you, there is a facet facing the body. The triangle would be black if pointed at something black, but it is sort of pink now I am wearing a pink shirt. So it is not blocked light in the case of obstruction but a reflection pure and simple. But maybe I am totally wrong??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

HeatherL|1315360242|3011212 said:
Ooooh Thanks for the photos Dreamer, it does look great!!! Are you leaning more towards the AVC? For me its been an easy choice, I liked my RB but when I saw the AVC I feel in love with it....

Why did you send the M back that you saw? What size was it?

I think this K looks really nice if you like the rectangular shape. I also think it will appear less tinted than an M, which would be good or bad depending on your tast. Warm, yes, but probably not buttery like an M. Depends what you are after.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it Dreamer!!! I so hope I can get one for a pendant soon! It is beautiful. It sounds like you are game to trade your round in for
the lovely AVC. Will you make a three stone eventually like your original plan, or just scrap the 3 stone idea altogether?

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer it was a .8 or .9 and I had it a while ago. Long story short I had my diamond on consignment with GOG in the hopes of purchasing an AVC but I had never seen an AVC in person. So I decided to "temporarily" purchase one just to check it out. I wanted to see for myself what one looked like before I made the leap. I was also curious about the warmer colors and so I picked the M. And I ended up being quite surprised by it. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take a look at one.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Wow, they're both truly beautiful! The warmth looks great in the antique-style cut, the near-white looks perfect in the modern one. Whatever you choose, you're going to have an amazing stone on your finger! :bigsmile:

Interesting that you found the face-up size similar. I thought my 1.5ct AVC looked bang-on the same size to my eye as a 1.5 ct round brilliant cut simulant I could compare it to. The actual size of diamond you see just isn't what you'd expect based on mm measurements- the square shape adds more area and they really do look about the same as a similar size round IMO. Or real dang close.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1315362376|3011243 said:
I love it Dreamer!!! I so hope I can get one for a pendant soon! It is beautiful. It sounds like you are game to trade your round in for
the lovely AVC. Will you make a three stone eventually like your original plan, or just scrap the 3 stone idea altogether?

Great question... If you keep the AVC is a three stone in your future??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Amys Bling|1315367357|3011323 said:

I actually have not decided yet 8) Although there are many things I adore about this stone, there are a couple things I am not yet sure about. I may keep thisd AVC, get a more colorless AVC, or keep my RB. I have a few more weeks to decide and plan to take them ::)

If I keep it, three stone all the way.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

HeatherL|1315363574|3011259 said:
Dreamer it was a .8 or .9 and I had it a while ago. Long story short I had my diamond on consignment with GOG in the hopes of purchasing an AVC but I had never seen an AVC in person. So I decided to "temporarily" purchase one just to check it out. I wanted to see for myself what one looked like before I made the leap. I was also curious about the warmer colors and so I picked the M. And I ended up being quite surprised by it. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take a look at one.

Heather was it your ACA on consignment? How long did it take to sell if you don't mind me asking, and when was it?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315367663|3011327 said:
Amys Bling|1315367357|3011323 said:

I actually have not decided yet 8) Although there are many things I adore about this stone, there are a couple things I am not yet sure about. I may keep thisd AVC, get a more colorless AVC, or keep my RB. I have a few more weeks to decide and plan to take them ::)

If I keep it, three stone all the way.

I had a feeling you were a true 3 stone girl at heart.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will be very interested to see what you decide and how the whole process goes. IF you decide to go with the AVC, will Jon give
sell your stone for the price of that stone now, or how will that work, if you don't mind sharing. There are many hear who might be
interested in doing the same thing, I'm thinking......

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1315352729|3011102 said:
Cachette|1315273538|3010405 said:
Get some rest and get well soon Dreamer!

We`ll wait. Patiently. :bigsmile:

The AVC is a beautiful stone. IMHO, and based on your pictures, I like it better than your RB (which is a gorgeous stone also!) but I'm sure IRL it must be very different....

Take care.

Cachette I read in moosemom's thread you are thinking of getting a low color AVC. I can unequivocally tell you to go for it and go for an M-N color too. Rhino told me he has a whole big batch of new wamr AVCs coming in soon, very soon :)) I am color sensitive and do not like tint in white diamonds, but I find the color of the M AVC very appealing. I suspect you would too!

I am considering it. Still not sure what to do. It`s a big commitment so I<m taking my time weighing my upgrade options. ;))

Thanks for the heads up on the AVCs! I`ll be keeping an eye out....

Now here`s a question for you; would you say the color of the AVC you have on hand would make other people (those not diamond savvy like us! :bigsmile: ) think the diamond is sub par because of the tint or does the cut trump the color so much that they wouldn`t think it was an issue? I`m not sure if I`m explaining it correctly but the general public has this notion that colorless stones are better (before PS I thought that also!). Not that I care that much but I wonder what others would think of such a warm colored stone... know what I mean? Ok, so what I`m really trying to ask is at a passing glance, would people notice the color or the cut first? If I saw it, I`m pretty darn sure I would notice the exceptional cu,t but I appreciate cut over color where as others may not. I`ll stop rambling now. Having a hard time explaining myself today. I should go back to bed. :bigsmile:

Thanks again Dreamer!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1315401452|3011518 said:
I will be very interested to see what you decide and how the whole process goes. IF you decide to go with the AVC, will Jon give
sell your stone for the price of that stone now, or how will that work, if you don't mind sharing. There are many hear who might be

Yes- how is it all going to work? You just may be inspiring others to do the same type of thing...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1315401452|3011518 said:

I contacted a number of PS vendors earlier in the summer and more than one told me that they would buy my diamond outright for around what I bought it for 16 months ago, actually about $500 more. So that is one option I have. I don't really want to say which vendors agreed to buy my stone outright as I don't want people from PS clamouring at them saying "But you agreed to buy Dreamer's stone for more!! Waaah!" But I can say that there is no harm in e-mailing vendors with the specs of your stone and a copy of the lab report, and asking what they would give you for it. A number of PS vendors have suggested this practice openly on PS in the past. Target vendors who sell diamonds like your own.

The other option I have is to consign it with Good Old Gold and I could choose the selling price I suppose. I would sell it for regular retail. They will take the stone in and run all their tests etc on the stone, and offer it for sale in their regular inventory just like they would offer any of their diamonds. If the stone is one Jon would like in his regular inventory in the future, as is probably the case with my BGD stone (he can't confirm until he sees it), then he will back it with his lifetime guarantee with buyack, upgrades etc. All diamonds would have the limited guarantee. He takes a flat rate percentage, which when I spoke to him, was 20% (but again, don't hold me to this, it may change or you may negotiate something different).

We would likely go the consignment route as it would net us about $1800 more. But not totally sure. A bird in the hand and all that suggests we should just sell it outright.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Some more comparison pics. Strong sunlight at my back but blocked by my shadow.

First the AVC.

AVCRB29.jpg

AVCRB30.jpg

AVCRB31.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

RB in the same lighting.

AVCRB32.jpg

AVCRB33.jpg

AVCRB34.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

A couple soft ones.

AVCRB35.jpg

AVCRB36.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. Spectacular pics! :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love this thread!

I have to say, the AVC looks bigger to my eye. You know I'm partial to cushions, so I really love that AVC. I've really enjoyed all these comparison photos, Dreamer. Thank you!

Can't wait to see what you decide . . .

chicam

Shiny_Rock

This thread needs to go to 'Helpful threads' column. Good job DreamerD

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely lovely lovely. I don't know how you will ever decide. That is great to know. I think my diamond would be about 10k more than I paid, but dang so are all the new diamonds. Now if I could just use it to my advantage to get a BIGGER diamond.....but I don't need that.. Such a dilemma Dreamer!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cachette|1315402839|3011531 said:
I am considering it. Still not sure what to do. It`s a big commitment so I<m taking my time weighing my upgrade options. ;))

Thanks for the heads up on the AVCs! I`ll be keeping an eye out....

Now here`s a question for you; would you say the color of the AVC you have on hand would make other people (those not diamond savvy like us! :bigsmile: ) think the diamond is sub par because of the tint or does the cut trump the color so much that they wouldn`t think it was an issue? I`m not sure if I`m explaining it correctly but the general public has this notion that colorless stones are better (before PS I thought that also!). Not that I care that much but I wonder what others would think of such a warm colored stone... know what I mean? Ok, so what I`m really trying to ask is at a passing glance, would people notice the color or the cut first? If I saw it, I`m pretty darn sure I would notice the exceptional cu,t but I appreciate cut over color where as others may not. I`ll stop rambling now. Having a hard time explaining myself today. I should go back to bed. :bigsmile:

Thanks again Dreamer!!

No you explain yourself perfectly! Honestly, it is one of my worries too. I would not want someone to think, "Why have such a big diamond in such a yellow color?" But at this point I don't know how most people would think of it, not enough people have seen it (I have a newborn and don't go out much yet haha) but I plan to show it to people this week who are honest and will tell me what they think.

I will say this though, my husband likes colorless stones but really likes this AVC a lot. It does *not* look yellow or tinted at all in most lighting. In the lighting where it takes on body color it actually looks like a fancy color diamond, very interesting and beautiful. It does not look like one of the fugly "M color" diamonds you see at the mall ;)) Part of what I like about this diamond is how unique it is. I have *never ever* seen a stone like this in my life and doubt anyone around here has either. Although I do worry that people might think it is tinted, my more realistic or logical side knows that the most likey reaction will be "Wow, what is that? It is gorgeous" not "Ew, yellow!"

I do occassionally feel a little embarassed about my J because when it shows tint it is more subtle, not enough to be noteworthy and special (like the M) but enough to make it clear it is not a colorless stone.

Anyways, I'll let you know when I have a few more opinions, but my instinct says that the cut by far is the first thng people will notice, an if they notice the color it is not a bad thing but a lovely thing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1315419683|3011818 said:
Lovely lovely lovely. I don't know how you will ever decide. That is great to know. I think my diamond would be about 10k more than I paid, but dang so are all the new diamonds. Now if I could just use it to my advantage to get a BIGGER diamond.....but I don't need that.. Such a dilemma Dreamer!

As my husband likes to say all the time to me "You can't have your cake and eat it too" :rodent: Unfortunately.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow, I'm surprised at how big the AVC looks compared to the RB! I think the RB does look a little bigger, but that could be the color, like you said. Both are stunning but there really is something special about the AVC. I'll be interested to see what you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results