shape
carat
color
clarity

B2C Gemologist Opinions

I reject anything black in the table unless its VS1 and above :hand:

Thank you everyone for your help! I ordered the diamond last night and it should arrive by Wed/Thurs of next week. I will then inspect it myself and take it to an appraiser. Would you suggest having insurance on the diamond while the appraiser has possession of it? How long does an appraisal usually take place?

LLNN213|1455890712|3992891 said:
Thank you everyone for your help! I ordered the diamond last night and it should arrive by Wed/Thurs of next week. I will then inspect it myself and take it to an appraiser. Would you suggest having insurance on the diamond while the appraiser has possession of it? How long does an appraisal usually take place?

I very much doubt you could get a policy or rider just a few days if you tried...

If you're very uncomfortable taking possession of it for a few days can you talk to your appraiser about having it shipped there directly, and shipping it back immediately? I imagine you'll have to pay extra - I have no idea what sort of cost that might be though, or if this is a service he/she would be willing to discuss...

Appraisal could be anywhere from a half hour to two, or more. Then your appraiser will need to write up everything you talk about, which is probably a few more hours.

I think the best advice is really just "be extra careful", though.

Ok, it sounds like being extra careful is the way to go for now... As far as picking an appraiser, is it necessary that the appraiser is a GIA graduate? I found a local jeweler who has appraisers that are Certified Gemologist Appraisers (CGA) Members but not GIA graduates. Is that sufficient do you think?

LLNN213 said:
Ok, it sounds like being extra careful is the way to go for now... As far as picking an appraiser, is it necessary that the appraiser is a GIA graduate? I found a local jeweler who has appraisers that are Certified Gemologist Appraisers (CGA) Members but not GIA graduates. Is that sufficient do you think?
GIA does not train appraisers.

LLNN213|1455901958|3992952 said:
By any chance, were you told who issued that CGA title? The Certified Gemologist Appraiser accreditation from the American Gem Society is a respected one; you can use the Find an Appraiser search function here to verify their status as AGS CGAs:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/find-an-appraiser

Thanks! I'll use that link you provided to locate an appraiser !

The Resources section of PS offers a database, searchable by state, of independent appraisers with a variety of credentials :))
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

And if you share with us where you live, you may get first-hand recommendations from PSers in your area.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL - if anyone has any recommendations for appraiser in South Florida that would be great!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP