shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Setting for Antique Pear?

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
Hello!

You lovely people helped me choose a stone, and I still love it, but am experiencing “shrinkage.” I have it set in a signet style so a little of the stone’s size and shape is covered with the bezel. I reached out to my amazing jeweler to get her opinion on resetting it to maximize the face-up size and she suggested a collet. I love this because it is an antique stone and collet rings always look older to me. But will this make the stone appear larger?

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_8768.jpeg
    IMG_8768.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 324
That's a beautiful ring!! I'd pair it with a thinner band and call it good.

IMO a collet is not going to make it look any bigger. A bezel will already do that, and not only do you have one, you’ve got thick side shanks which will also help the size. If you’re experiencing shrinkage, a halo will help the overall size. However, an easier option is to swap your e ring for a diamond band, or just wear your wedding band for 2 weeks. When you put your ering back on, it’ll feel huge again. Works every time for me.

IMO a collet is not going to make it look any bigger. A bezel will already do that, and not only do you have one, you’ve got thick side shanks which will also help the size. If you’re experiencing shrinkage, a halo will help the overall size. However, an easier option is to swap your e ring for a diamond band, or just wear your wedding band for 2 weeks. When you put your ering back on, it’ll feel huge again. Works every time for me.

Thank you for this great advice. You just saved me $2k !

First of all, your stone looks pretty darn big to me and I like the setting.. And secondly, no, it won't look any larger. I like the ideal of a diamond band, or just wearing you wedding ring for 2 weeks by itself. Maybe a diamond band that hugs the curve of the bottom of the stone and fits flush with your ring? Just a thought.

The only thing I have found to make a diamond look bigger is a bigger diamond lol

Jokes aside I agree that variety and switching things up helps a lot.

Seconding a halo setting instead for a bigger look. I’d do this if I was stuck on a reset. But your wedding set looks good as is IMO.

IMG_2662.jpeg

Hi @lexcaliber , your ring is beautiful!!

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I think a thicker collet can make your diamond seem larger. I guess it’s not that the diamond looks bigger, but a wider collet will give more presence on the hand, and thus seem like a bigger ring.

I haven’t created an SMTB thread for my new ring yet, but here is a pic - the wide collet (patina’ed silver) pretty much spreads across the whole of my finger.

The diamond in the collet setting is a similar size to my existing two-stone (this one is just over 3.5cts whereas the one in my two-stone ring is 3.48ct) but I think it looks bigger.

Of course, it is slightly bigger (can’t remember the exact dimensions now but it’s shallower than my 3.48ct) but that it’s a minuscule difference in terms of how it appears to the eye.

So, I think a wide collet setting can give the impression of a bigger ring (but I don’t know whether the diamond itself necessarily looks bigger!)

IMG_3633.jpegIMG_3630.jpegIMG_3664.jpeg

Hello!

You lovely people helped me choose a stone, and I still love it, but am experiencing “shrinkage.” I have it set in a signet style so a little of the stone’s size and shape is covered with the bezel. I reached out to my amazing jeweler to get her opinion on resetting it to maximize the face-up size and she suggested a collet. I love this because it is an antique stone and collet rings always look older to me. But will this make the stone appear larger?

Thanks for your advice!

Your setting is perfection. Please don't change anything!!

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that I think a thicker collet can make your diamond seem larger. I guess it’s not that the diamond looks bigger, but a wider collet will give more presence on the hand, and thus seem like a bigger ring.

I haven’t created an SMTB thread for my new ring yet, but here is a pic - the wide collet (patina’ed silver) pretty much spreads across the whole of my finger.

The diamond in the collet setting is a similar size to my existing two-stone (this one is just over 3.5cts whereas the one in my two-stone ring is 3.48ct) but I think it looks bigger.

Of course, it is slightly bigger (can’t remember the exact dimensions now but it’s shallower than my 3.48ct) but that it’s a minuscule difference in terms of how it appears to the eye.

So, I think a wide collet setting can give the impression of a bigger ring (but I don’t know whether the diamond itself necessarily looks bigger!)

I completely agree that setting with more substance add visual size. My engagement stone was in an octagonal faux bezel and it looked like a 2.5ct in that setting. It’s 1.89ct.

But I wonder if there is much room to take advantage of that effect since it’s already in a bezel which usually also adds visual heft.

Last edited:
I completely agree that setting with more substance add visual size. My engagement stone was in an octagonal faux bezel and it looked like a 2.5ct in that setting. It’s 1.89ct.

But I wonder if there is much room to take advantage of that effect since it’s already in a bezel which usually also adds visual heft.

Yep absolutely, the comparison should be made between the bezel and the collet!

I’m currently travelling so don’t have my two stone ring with me and thus don’t have a direct comparison between the two, but hopefully the montage below helps!

L-R: new 3.77ct / 7.5ct I tried on at an auction / 3.48ct

The new 3.77ct almost “feels” like the 7.5ct I tried on with the thick collet giving it lots of finger coverage.

IMG_3682.jpeg

Perhaps a halo?

I will attach one of my top three favorite antique rings I have tucked away in my “future projects” album, which happens to be a pear set in a halo…. For whatever reason I LOVE this ring, and I’m not a big halo person.

If you love your diamond, I say go for a new setting! Settings are fairly easy to switch up vs the expense of buying a new diamond. IMG_2135.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpeg
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2137.jpeg
    IMG_2137.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 4
A three stone a la that classic antique with small round OECs would also be divine. I agree that halos and three stones add wonderful “substance” to the piece. I think OPs diamond is already very large and the right setting would go a long way.

Well, I’ve spent the last three days hyper fixating on antique pears now … so thank you! Lol! :kiss2:

I’ve sense added this gorgeous setting to my “future” album. It was an original antique sold by Andria Barbone… see attached pics. She has made a remake she calls “Lucy”…. Here’s the links

Original Lucy:

AB Inspired Lucy (a bit too wide for my liking):

Caysie, CVB has also done a rendition of this ring too… and it turned out beautifully:

Sako has also done a version of this setting:

IMG_2160.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpeg
    IMG_2161.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Who made your collet setting? It’s stunning

Perhaps a halo?

I will attach one of my top three favorite antique rings I have tucked away in my “future projects” album, which happens to be a pear set in a halo…. For whatever reason I LOVE this ring, and I’m not a big halo person.

If you love your diamond, I say go for a new setting! Settings are fairly easy to switch up vs the expense of buying a new diamond. IMG_2135.jpeg

I love how thin the bezel is on this, they used to be able to make things so delicate and strong. I don’t know why jewelers can’t do this nowadays, looking at pictures of remade jewelry that was inspired by an antique. It’s never as good,They just look so thick and clunky.

Hello!

Thanks for your advice!

This is beautiful, I think the diamond would look bigger if it was just bezeled with smaller shoulders.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP