shape
carat
color
clarity

Beyond your wildest dreams ....

love the ring you found! Congrats! wear it in good health (when the ring, bonus, and baby finally come home :) )

Yssie|1316777701|3023708 said:
Dreamer_D|1316743752|3023509 said:
Yssie|1316729407|3023335 said:
Ack - sorry about your dad! But hey, in this case he's just wrong, and YOU know he's wrong, so... yeah, back to ogling!

Circe|1316654643|3022561 said:
Yssie - thanks! And just out of curiousity ... what's your story? Inquiring minds want to know! :bigsmile:

Gosh, no story. I just can't get that ring out. of. my. head. Fortunately DH truly doesn't care what I do with my ring, so long as I'm wearing my band and I don't spend the rainy day funds, so... there may be a reset in the future, to a 5stone trellis w/ 8prong centre. My misbehaving mind has already started to design this hypothetical ring. But it *definitely* won't be while - not until gold prices drop and we've rebuilt from buying the house, and some other projects are dealt with (my new earrings, my mum's ring). I'm thinking baby gift, in a few years, maybe... 8)

Yssie my dear, if you go that route we will have to find a way to meet in person because that would be a ring I would NEED to see!!

But you'd lose your anonymity if we met 8)

Only to you :bigsmile: I would make an exception.

Dreamer_D|1316928346|3024849 said:
Yssie|1316777701|3023708 said:
Dreamer_D|1316743752|3023509 said:
Yssie|1316729407|3023335 said:
Ack - sorry about your dad! But hey, in this case he's just wrong, and YOU know he's wrong, so... yeah, back to ogling!

Circe|1316654643|3022561 said:
Yssie - thanks! And just out of curiousity ... what's your story? Inquiring minds want to know! :bigsmile:

Gosh, no story. I just can't get that ring out. of. my. head. Fortunately DH truly doesn't care what I do with my ring, so long as I'm wearing my band and I don't spend the rainy day funds, so... there may be a reset in the future, to a 5stone trellis w/ 8prong centre. My misbehaving mind has already started to design this hypothetical ring. But it *definitely* won't be while - not until gold prices drop and we've rebuilt from buying the house, and some other projects are dealt with (my new earrings, my mum's ring). I'm thinking baby gift, in a few years, maybe... 8)

Yssie my dear, if you go that route we will have to find a way to meet in person because that would be a ring I would NEED to see!!

But you'd lose your anonymity if we met 8)

Only to you :bigsmile: I would make an exception.

LOL! I'm sure my ring-to-be is delighted to realize it merits such accommodations :bigsmile:

Circe that stone is gorgeous!!!! Will I be getting the priviledge to see it in person? Oh I hope SO!!!!! :love:

I don't have anything to add to this thread yet...but my time will come!

Black Jade|1316736723|3023442 said:
Circe, I love your new diamond! that is so beautiful-- I love that antique style and I am so glad you got your dream!
I don't have a lot of photos of my jewelry up because I am so bad at taking photos and worse at uploading.
Also,a computer broke down on me awhile ago and a lot of photos were in there.
But here is my marquise, if it comes up (fingers crossed)
It's a lot more sparkly than the photo looks--but I was grateful to just get a photo in which you can tell it's a diamond. It's 1.19 center, J color, I1 clarity with .78 ctw sidestones. I'm wearing it (I never wear the two together in real life) with a .49 ctw 5 stone princess cut ring, H color VS2 clarity and I never wear them on that hand (had to use my right hand to take pictures with, though).

Black Jade - Thank you! And, yay, I love seeing people's beauties! That marquise is GORGEOUS - I love the shape in general, and that's an awesome example. I would never in a million years peg it at 1.2 - it looks more like 2, period! And your earrings and pendant look lovely, too - so white!

ChloeTheGreat said:
Circe, congrats on the new bling and thanks for the kind words. I, too, love that my family has heirlooms to be passed on. (My mother gave me a strand on pearls that belonged to her mother for my college graduation.)

Here is a crappy cell phone picture of the beautiful ruby ring that I hope my sister will share with me someday when it gets passed down to her. :naughty: My mother had it appraised several years ago and it was valued at about $30,000. As much as I love rubies, I don't know anything about their value or the value of vintage jewelry...but it must be nice quality for that appraisal value! Owning this ring is beyond my wildest dreams!
2011-06-02%2018.20.18.jpg

ETA: Quite the finger coverage on my size 7 finger!!!

Chloe - W.O.W. That is quite the ruby! Sarah Ferguson, eat your heart out. I think it would only be sisterly for the two of you to share and share alike (and that way, the family parure gets to enjoy periodic reunions!)

Dreamer, Amy, Deia, thank you so much! And, Deia, on the last ... maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

::looks shifty::

Look, none of you actually thought I had the self-control to wait several months, did you? My husband sure didn't. After I thoughtfully pointed out how long refurbishing a vintage piece could take, he said (and I quote) - "So ... early anniversary gift, then? I thought that might be the case ...."

I am now gloating over my glittery new toy like a happy rodent. It is a thing of beauty, I tell you. :rodent:

Yesterday was pretty much an all day affair: I went and picked up the ring, took it to the appraiser, had it sized and the prongs tightened, gloated ... the best kind of exhausting!

Long version to come in SMTR or RT, but in the meantime: it appraised as a J/K (the appraiser said it faced up like a J, but he was always cautious with old cuts because they had a tendency to face up whiter than they'd be graded) VVS2. It measures at an average of 8.8, with a depth of 59% and a 53% table: he figured it to be two and a half carats-ish, and a transitional cut - high crown, small table, but pretty long LGF for that flowery look.

So, as one assumes when buying vintage, there was a little variation ... but I'm absolutely delighted with the bottom line! Imagine me glowing like this, if in a slightly more centered fashion. :mrgreen:

Glowing .....jpg

Circe|1317140614|3026904 said:
Yesterday was pretty much an all day affair: I went and picked up the ring, took it to the appraiser, had it sized and the prongs tightened, gloated ... the best kind of exhausting!

Long version to come in SMTR or RT, but in the meantime: it appraised as a J/K (the appraiser said it faced up like a J, but he was always cautious with old cuts because they had a tendency to face up whiter than they'd be graded) VVS2. It measures at an average of 8.8, with a depth of 59% and a 53% table: he figured it to be two and a half carats-ish, and a transitional cut - high crown, small table, but pretty long LGF for that flowery look.

So, as one assumes when buying vintage, there was a little variation ... but I'm absolutely delighted with the bottom line! Imagine me glowing like this, if in a slightly more centered fashion. :mrgreen:

Congratulations Circe, looks like you did very well with your transaction! Can't wait to see it!!

Oh congrats Circe, it looks gorgeous! :appl:

I thought I had already commented but it looks like I didn't! Your ring is absolutely gorgeous-I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see it in real life! :appl:

Thanks, Bright Ice, Rosetta, Thing! It just finally occurred to me to run its numbers through the HCA, and I'm pleased to say I guessed right - FIC, 1.4. Yay for technology corroborating visual impressions!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP