shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken engagement - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/29/2008 10:52:29 PM
Author: RBD hunter
Again sorry for the situation

May be for the better in the long run?

In My Opinion (some may say warped)
20.gif

I would think if the diamond is of good size and quality?

If you don’t need the money right now....Save it for another time.

A quality diamond has no memory
36.gif

The used ring is pretty much a wash (ie trade in material toward something else)

Nothing wrong with a second hand diamond and no real way of actually tracking (it''s bought and sold history)

I too am guilty of checking out craigslist and ebay for specific certified diamonds.

not for resale but personal use. (Private party sellers only)

General pawn jewelry seems to at best net 25 cents on the dollar
15.gif

Same goes for Ebay 25-50 cents on the dollar

(ebay has a wider audience of buyers and is a plus)

You may find that someone looking for just what you have to sell

(then again you have a sea of PITA scammers)

Not sure where the best place to sell a quality diamond really is today,

so it is best to buy from a company with some type or return/trade up policy.

Very bad idea, see discussion above. If a woman hears that the stone was bought for someone else he''d be in a world of trouble.

Thinking Tiff''s is your best bet, even if it''s 10 months since your purchased it. Please let us know how it goes. Then Signed Pieces and Pearlman''s. Good luck.
1.gif

RBD, a Tiffany Legacy is much more valuable intact. It would totally kill the value to remove the diamond. I imagine the diamond is small if the original price was in the $8,000 range anyway. If he wanted to hang onto it, he could trade it in to Tiffany''s the next time he gets engaged. But my understanding is that the new ring must be at least double the value of the ring being traded. Still, a Legacy is a sought-after ring and will retain more value than most other rings.

Date: 11/29/2008 10:59:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
RBD, a Tiffany Legacy is much more valuable intact. It would totally kill the value to remove the diamond. I imagine the diamond is small if the original price was in the $8,000 range anyway. If he wanted to hang onto it, he could trade it in to Tiffany''s the next time he gets engaged. But my understanding is that the new ring must be at least double the value of the ring being traded. Still, a Legacy is a sought-after ring and will retain more value than most other rings.
I was using a general life situation.

If there is any way to get Tiffany to get it back
(that would be the best option indeed)

the resale of used jewelry is a real eye opener.

Date: 11/29/2008 10:56:59 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/29/2008 10:52:29 PM

Again sorry for the situation

May be for the better in the long run?

In My Opinion (some may say warped)
20.gif

I would think if the diamond is of good size and quality?

If you don’t need the money right now....Save it for another time.

A quality diamond has no memory
36.gif

The used ring is pretty much a wash (ie trade in material toward something else)

Nothing wrong with a second hand diamond and no real way of actually tracking (it''s bought and sold history)

I too am guilty of checking out craigslist and ebay for specific certified diamonds.

not for resale but personal use. (Private party sellers only)

General pawn jewelry seems to at best net 25 cents on the dollar
15.gif

Same goes for Ebay 25-50 cents on the dollar

(ebay has a wider audience of buyers and is a plus)

You may find that someone looking for just what you have to sell

(then again you have a sea of PITA scammers)

Not sure where the best place to sell a quality diamond really is today,

so it is best to buy from a company with some type or return/trade up policy.

Very bad idea, see discussion above. If a woman hears that the stone was bought for someone else he''d be in a world of trouble.

Don’t get me wrong
I''m not suggesting he try and pass the ring or diamond off to another girl in the future.
My point was there are still people looking for diamonds
and would really like to have a nice stone for a new project or an upgrade.

Date: 11/29/2008 11:09:56 PM

Date: 11/29/2008 10:59:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I was using a general life situation.

If there is any way to get Tiffany to get it back
(that would be the best option indeed)

the resale of used jewelry is a real eye opener.
Yes, I hope Tiffany will take it back. If not, he''ll get far more for the Tiffany Legacy ring intact as opposed to just selling the stone. Resale of Tiffany jewelry is generally better than non-designer pieces.

Hopefully Tiffany will take it back. If not, you have a few options already listed. I''m interested in this Tiffany broken engagement program - I didn''t realise they did that!

Date: 11/29/2008 3:23:35 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 11/29/2008 2:23:17 PM
Author: John Pollard
I have a friend who manages a Tiffany & Co so I rang her up to get an indication of what you may expect Albert. For an in-store purchase the return period is typically 30 days, but they do have a broken engagement assistance program for up to six months as neatfreak reported. If you’re within that time frame they will evaluate the ring for wear (which involves sending it to NY) and provide you with a refund amount based on that evaluation. She implied they are very reasonable about this. Outside of six months there''s no guarantee but she strongly urges you to contact your original store and salesperson, regardless.
That was really nice of you, John.
1.gif
Yes it was, but then, he''s nice like that. Which makes up for the weirdness.
9.gif
2.gif

Albert, I''m really sorry to hear how things turned out. I hope you have good luck with the ring.

Date: 11/30/2008 8:04:50 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/29/2008 3:23:35 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 11/29/2008 2:23:17 PM
Author: John Pollard
I have a friend who manages a Tiffany & Co so I rang her up to get an indication of what you may expect Albert. For an in-store purchase the return period is typically 30 days, but they do have a broken engagement assistance program for up to six months as neatfreak reported. If you’re within that time frame they will evaluate the ring for wear (which involves sending it to NY) and provide you with a refund amount based on that evaluation. She implied they are very reasonable about this. Outside of six months there''s no guarantee but she strongly urges you to contact your original store and salesperson, regardless.
That was really nice of you, John.
1.gif
Yes it was, but then, he''s nice like that. Which makes up for the weirdness.
9.gif
2.gif
Hey - I resemble that!
41.gif

She''s fun to talk to, so the act was not totally selfless, but thanks for the note G&E.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP