shape
carat
color
clarity

Can vendors beat Blue Nile?

cpower03

Rough_Rock
Sorry this is my first post but, I was researching diamonds and was looking for a coupon code for Blue Nile. One of the people said why use Blue Nile when you can use a vendor from the boards? See the original discussion here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/best-bluenile-discount-around.131106/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/best-bluenile-discount-around.131106/..[/URL]. So my question was can vendors really get the same stuff that Blue Nile has? I've already selected a diamond and if I don't have to deal with Blue Nile, that would be most preferable (:

I appreciate all of your help!

Yes Wink and highperformancediamonds can beat blue nile for you. But not on their signature line as those are in house stones from what I understand. On the rest he can. But if you are trying to buy something other than a round... I wouldn't bother calling in anything from bluenile. You need to work with a vendor that has selection and images .

ID jewelry can get most diamonds listed on BN as long as they are in NYC and beat their pricing.

I'm just looking for a Round 0.5 carat diamond. I found one that I really like with a setting that I really like. How would I go about getting a hold of these vendors?

The long story short is, my wife and I got married when we were 19 and broke college student, I promised her an engagement ring in the future and a 0.5 carat is all I can afford. Our anniversary is coming up (3 years now) but, we have a son and I'm paying for her college out of my pocket though I have a decent job.

I don't trust blue nile after some friends bought from there so I would love to get a hold of a vendor that could beat blue nile in pricing and hopefully have a similar setting.

Oh, in that case, we can help you find a better stone than buying blind from Blue Nile in the first place! We can give you some examples.

What is your budget for the stone and for the setting?

That would be great, I'm looking at a VS2, .51 carat, ideal cut, vg polish, vg symmetry, thin to medium fact, 62% depth, 55% table, with no fluorescence (I hate it for personal reasons), with an E color.

Something that is relatively close to that would be great. I just want it to shine (:

I don't really have a stone budget but my setting budget is $700, i picked the Petite Cathedral Micropave Sapphire and Diamond Engagement Ring in 14k White Gold from Blue Nile, the stone itself was just shy of $2,000 but, I was hoping a vendor could beat that so I could just pay straight cash and be done.

I like your specs except I will tell you that you can't see the difference between 55 and 56 tables, so give us a little flexibility on that. :)) Also, E color is expensive and you would hardly be able to tell the difference between E and F. So will you please consider F as well? Both are considered colorless.

You're going to need to pick a setting where you choose the diamond so they can set your diamond. Link us that setting you like so we can think if there is a similar one elsewhere. I'll look for diamonds while you do that.

I'm knowledgeable enough about diamonds to know that an F vs. an E is merely a price difference. So F is fine. E turns out to be the only one that I could find on blue nile that didn't have a really thick girdle (dead diamond weight imo). The setting is http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_21015 here. My wife has a thing for Sapphires so anything with a sapphire in it would do just fine. I'm not super picky about the table or depth as long as they aren't way out there. I have a preference for gold settings simply because of the affordability, I would even step down in gold grade to reduce price because my wife could care less.

If it makes a difference the blue nile diamond has a price of $1,925.

If you ever want to upgrade in the future, GOG and WF have a better policy compared to JA and BN.

cpower03|1394250054|3629777 said:
I'm knowledgeable enough about diamonds to know that an F vs. an E is merely a price difference. So F is fine. E turns out to be the only one that I could find on blue nile that didn't have a really thick girdle (dead diamond weight imo). The setting is http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_21015 here. My wife has a thing for Sapphires so anything with a sapphire in it would do just fine. I'm not super picky about the table or depth as long as they aren't way out there. I have a preference for gold settings simply because of the affordability, I would even step down in gold grade to reduce price because my wife could care less.

In this case, I'd probably recommend Good Old Gold, because they can find you a setting under a thousand dollars in white gold. I might suggest a ring with small sapphires to either side of the center stone rather than alternating down the shank. You'll occasionally have to have white gold rhodium plated, but it will be fine. I am looking at settings, but they carry a few brands that probably would have something you'd like.

So I've seen some of the diamonds posted and most of them are very similar to the one that I found on Blue Nile and most of the prices are higher. I was actually quite surprised but, I also have a strong preference for GIA certified diamonds.

With that in mind, how would I go about getting another vendor to beat the diamond price? Would I just call them and ask?

Why GIA? AGS is well regarded as well. You just call the vendor and ask. Sometimes they cannot do it if a particular stone is not located in the U.S. You'll probably receive better service from GOG or WF, though. They provide more details about each stone.

Just so you know, AGS has even stricter grading on cut that GIA, so fewer stones will meet AGS ideal standards as opposed to GIA Excellent. I didn't really pay attention to which labs graded the stones because I knew they'd all be AGS or GIA. I have had stones grade by both.

The thing is, you don't really know that Blue Nile beats these prices, because only their Signature stones can be compared to these. You are paying a little more to be sure you are getting the best cut stone for your money, and you cannot do that at BN because they don't do idealscope images or images of the stones, for that matter. So in a way, you get what you pay for, because all the vendors here are competitive on pricing. They just offer different things.

Anyway, I found some settings that Good Old Gold carries that have sapphire accent stones. I think they are a little nicer quality than the one from BN, too.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8988W44SA

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8990W44SA

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER9491W44SA

Wow, you have a very good point. I understand your point now.

Just know that I came here once exactly like you did! My husband said he wanted to get me a new diamond ring for a big anniversary and I knew we knew nothing at all about diamonds when we first got engaged and married at 21! So I started researching and found Pricescope. Thankfully I ended up learning before we bought! I know some people take the chance with buying a stone by paper, but each diamond is different and you (we) need to see it before spending thousands of dollars. I also like the evidence that there is no leakage (idealscope images), because some GIA excellent cut stones will have leakage. It is worth a few more dollars to me, at least. :)) And it seems like you are after great quality at a good price, and trust me, that is what most of us are after as well!

Ask Good Old Gold to call in that particular diamond and ask if they will price match. I have done that before, as well. Beautiful stone!
Did you like any of the settings I linked? They can access others, I just knew that Gabriel had some with sapphires.

Just call GOG or IDJ and see if they can price match. Both of them carry a lot of nice settings. Like DS, I got engaged and married young at 23 and I got my upgrade just after I turned 25. It is very nice of you that you want to get an engage my ring for your wife. I hope you can find something nice that makes both of you happy.

I didn't really like any of the settings, I was looking for something simpler than the ones that Gabrielle has. I guess if worse came to worse, I could always order the stone and the setting and have it set somewhere else. I'm just trying to find something nice that I can afford that I know my wife will really like.

The truth is, I never bought my wife a diamond, we were both poor, I worked full time and went to school full time and supported her and we wanted to get married. The ring was something that we couldn't afford but, we wanted to be married more than she wanted a ring. I've saved up for quite some time to get her a ring if only a half carat and even if it's 3 years later than it should have been.

What kind of setting do you like? Have you looked at IDJ's and GOG's website? Does it have to have sapphires and diamonds on the band?

I think that is sooo sweet! We got married soon, too, and had a small wedding!

Anyway, Good Old Gold carries many ring companies products. They can certainly find you a more simple setting. I tried looking through Stuller first but it was harder to find anything on their site. I love a simple three stone ring with small sapphire sides. I am sure they can do that for you. Just call and tell them you found them on PS and that you want a specific stone called in, and you were told that Jonathan said they will price match and that you only need an idealscope image and that is all. (You've already been able to see the stone.)

How do I know if an idealscope image is good? I would really like to get the ball rolling on this. I recently got a new job because I just graduated (I have an Accounting degree) I've been pinching pennies forever to save up for this ring. I don't eat out, I never go out with friends and etc. Between paying for my wifes school out of pocket (she changed majors 3 times and ran out of financial aid but, I'll keep paying until she finds her thing of which I believe she has), rent, car, health insurance, food, gas, etc, etc, etc it's been hard. I will eventually buy her a nicer one but, I always wanted her to have something that was hers. This is her big surprise so she has something that is hers and was picked just for her. She's not picky and would be happy without one and has never asked for one, that is why I think she deserves it.

Just come back and post once you get idealscope images. Some experts will help you. It is very sweet of you and I'm sure your wife will be thrilled. IDJ is closed tomorrow, so give GOG a call tomorrow and just tell them what DS just wrote. Have you asked JA about the wire and PS discount? The diamond you like should cost between $1800-1900 after they applaud the discounts.

Will GOG price match the wire discount price or do they have their own? I'm heavily leaning towards them because I found a few settings that I really REALLY liked from them, they don't have sapphires but, they are beautiful far nicer than the other sites that I have found so I think that I will go with them if they have the diamond that DS showed me earlier from JA.

I'm not sure which diamond you're talking about, but before you contact GOG, chat with JA and find out the price after all the discounts. Then, let GOG know the price and if they can match it.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP