shape
carat
color
clarity

Destination wedding ? Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 1:42:40 AM
Author: shimmer
My wedding coordinator set up an appointment to get our license (and we bring the $65 cash), I believe it is at the lady''s house! It is a residential address anyway.

The ceremony fee ($450) covers the officiant and coordinator (which will be at the ceremony). There is also a beach permit fee for $20 that I missed (thanks Structenggirl!).

Thank you shimmer, my SO was just asking how much was it for the license fee and I said I''ll find out Thanks. Also that''s not bad for the ceremony fee because the officiant and the coordinator is included great deal!. Great I could email him this info. Thank you again.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 2:13:53 AM
Author: Inanna
I''m not sure how much you''ve been looking online yet (there''s so much information to take in when you''re first researching), but I found a lot of really nice, laid-back but elegant houses on Sunset Beach (Oahu), ranging from $1750 (!) - $10k per week:

http://www.vrbo.com/4597 $6k

http://www.vrbo.com/182019 $10k

http://www.vrbo.com/39353 $7k

http://www.vrbo.com/109663 $5.5-6.5k

http://www.vrbo.com/217184 $1750

When we initally were thinking about rentals, we divided the number of bedrooms by the pro-rate cost per day for the rental (for us this was $7734/10 bedrooms/4 days). All in all, the cost for us was $193 (including tax and cleaning fees) per bedroom, per night... in the area where we''re having our wedding, no hotel could beat that rate, especially when we considered all the benefits (private beach, 2 kitchens, 2 pools, decor, etc).

BTW - Can you tell I love VRBO?
2.gif
I think I have the next 10 years of vacations planned already!

Oh Inanna, I don''t think I could Thank you enough!!! Thank you Thank you so so much. Yes I think it is the best idea to go with VRBO its very practical and great with prices, your right you could definitely divide how many people could fit in the house like how you did the break down very very smart way. oh I''m just so happy right now because now I don''t feel lost anymore I could see the different ways we could do this. I''m talking to my sisters right now and we are all so excited. My sister was even saying how my dress should be how it would be nice flowy not to heavy material and all that. They like the idea of the VRBO. Thank you again.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:41:51 AM
Author: Anaïs
Date: 2/18/2009 8:16:27 PM

Author: rockin11

XOXO, We got married in Hawaii in 05. We got there a few days early and stayed in Waikiki(lots going on in the area) at the Marriott there and then for our wedding we moved a day prior to the JW Marriott Ihilani. The JW is maybe 20-30 min. from Waikiki. It is by Turtle Bay if you have heard of that one..its a super popular hotel too. I liked the JW b/c it was out of the way and somewhat secluded compared to when we were downtown. The JW has many weddings all the time and at every budget. It was just us when we got married and I think it was maybe 1500?? We added on a few things. They have people at the hotel that help plan your wedding with you(most all hotels have this as well) We contracted out for our photog..HIGHLY recommend!!!! I would NEVER use anyone else! He was absolutely amazing in so many ways. Super friendly and he ended up being my unofficial wedding planner. He got me my hair/makeup artist as well as a few other odds and ends. He has many resources for everything. DH and I both agree that he made our wedding..he was the highlight of the day! Actually, I keep up w/ him and he is even better than when we got married! (I think he travels to other Islands as well)

I enjoyed getting away for our wedding!! I hope this helps. LMK if I can help in anyway if you have any more questions. Have fun planning!

Here is link to where I posted a few wed pics on here..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wedding-pics.107562/

Here is a link to photog website.

http://www.amodophoto.com/site/index.php

JW Marriott

http://www.ihilani.com/

Turtle Bay

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

Actually, Turtle Bay and Ko Olina (where the JW Ihilani is) are pretty much on opposite sides on the island. If I were to get married in Hawaii though, I would get married at Ko Olina too. Nice choice.

They also have a lovely chapel on the property if you are into that kind of thing... view from chapel

Thank you for suggestion the place I will definitely look into it!
1.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Hi xoxo,

I''m a bit late to this thread but as Inanna mentioned, I''m currently planning a DW in Hawaii in August 09. My plan is exactly the same as her''s, to rent an estate to have the wedding and reception. Mine is going to be small, about 20 people. Totally casual... just a short, intimate ceremony followed by dinner.

Securing a place has been a rough going. I originally thought I was getting this awesome place in Oahu but wound up deciding against it because the property management had an "event" fee, as well as a host of restrictions regarding which vendors I could use. The rental rate was already expensive as is but the added restrictions made it more hassle than the place was worth. I''ve actually had a tough time finding a place in Oahu that would allow weddings, even small, relaxed ones like mine. Based on my research, there appears to be tension among the residents and rental property owners so many don''t allow weddings or parties. And of the places that do, they take advantage and charge an event fee that ranges from $500 to $3K for nothing except the privilege of having additional feet on the lawn.

Now, I''ve turned to Maui. Of the couple of places I''ve found that are suitable for my needs, they have been friendly and accommodating regarding the wedding and are willing to dispense with the event fee. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that something will work out soon, as I just want to get a venue secured so I can get on with the rest of the planning!

You''ve received a lot of great advice here. I''ll just add a couple. If you choose the rental route, try to find places that are rented by owners and not property management companies. I''ve found owners to be more flexible and willing to negotiate. Forget the email, call. I''ve gotten much better responses to my wedding plan when I call and explain what I''m doing in a nice, reasurring manner. Oh, and if you want links to various vendors in Oahu, let me know, I''ve got TONS!

Going the hotel route or designated wedding locations can certainly ease the trouble of planning everything and pulling it all together. There are tons on each island to choose from. I agree with Inanna that if you go with the rental route, be prepared to do it all... from catering to renting tables, chairs, china, lights, tents, etc., unless you hire a coordinator. It''s a lot to do and can be overwhelming, especially since you''re planning from afar. I haven''t decided if I''m gonna hire a coordinator or not yet. Maybe after the nth time I scream into my pillow after trying to line something up!
3.gif

Have fun planning!

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:20:16 PM
Author: panda08
Hi xoxo,

I''m a bit late to this thread but as Inanna mentioned, I''m currently planning a DW in Hawaii in August 09. My plan is exactly the same as her''s, to rent an estate to have the wedding and reception. Mine is going to be small, about 20 people. Totally casual... just a short, intimate ceremony followed by dinner.

Securing a place has been a rough going. I originally thought I was getting this awesome place in Oahu but wound up deciding against it because the property management had an ''event'' fee, as well as a host of restrictions regarding which vendors I could use. The rental rate was already expensive as is but the added restrictions made it more hassle than the place was worth. I''ve actually had a tough time finding a place in Oahu that would allow weddings, even small, relaxed ones like mine. Based on my research, there appears to be tension among the residents and rental property owners so many don''t allow weddings or parties. And of the places that do, they take advantage and charge an event fee that ranges from $500 to $3K for nothing except the privilege of having additional feet on the lawn.

Now, I''ve turned to Maui. Of the couple of places I''ve found that are suitable for my needs, they have been friendly and accommodating regarding the wedding and are willing to dispense with the event fee. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that something will work out soon, as I just want to get a venue secured so I can get on with the rest of the planning!

You''ve received a lot of great advice here. I''ll just add a couple. If you choose the rental route, try to find places that are rented by owners and not property management companies. I''ve found owners to be more flexible and willing to negotiate. Forget the email, call. I''ve gotten much better responses to my wedding plan when I call and explain what I''m doing in a nice, reasurring manner. Oh, and if you want links to various vendors in Oahu, let me know, I''ve got TONS!

Going the hotel route or designated wedding locations can certainly ease the trouble of planning everything and pulling it all together. There are tons on each island to choose from. I agree with Inanna that if you go with the rental route, be prepared to do it all... from catering to renting tables, chairs, china, lights, tents, etc., unless you hire a coordinator. It''s a lot to do and can be overwhelming, especially since you''re planning from afar. I haven''t decided if I''m gonna hire a coordinator or not yet. Maybe after the nth time I scream into my pillow after trying to line something up!
3.gif

Have fun planning!

Hi Panda Thank you so much for chiming in, I just spoke with my sisters and one of them totally loves the rental route and the other would rather have the hotel. oohh but I know at the end it should really be the both of us my So and I to decide. I think what I would do is I would look around and get the quote for both. But honestly I would rather do the rental instead. I like that idea the best. Also we will be discussing our budget so that I could explain to him all the possibilities of different venue. Panda that''s so exciting Maui is so beautiful and I hope everything works out soon for you. I''m crossing my fingers. If once we find out which Island can I please get some of your vendors if its in Oahu.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results