shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Experts--Triple A grade??? (from the 1960''s)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aliciamt7

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

I used this forum years ago when we were learning about diamonds for my engagement ring. Now, 3 married years later, I need to seek your expert information once again!

We are getting a diamond ring that is a family heirloom that my grandfather bought in the 60''s for my grandmother. Supposedly he paid a lot of money for this ring back then and the cert from the jeweler said something about Triple A grade. what does that mean? Anything? I know that that''s probably not used nowadays, but does anyone know what that would have meant back then? My husband is bringing me the ring later on today with the cert so i will have more info on it then, but I was curious about this terminology!

Thanks for any input!!

Alicia

Bumping for you for an expert''s help.

I have seen old grades with as many as 6A''s. Figure it is a pretty good diamond in color and clarity, better than AA, A , B or C and not as good as AAA, AAAA, AAAAAA. Some gemologist is just going to need to regrade it for you if you want today''s relatively standardized grading.

Historically all kinds of names & symbols have been used.

Take color for example: Before the GIA color grading scale you could find color grades of A, B, C, 0, 1, 2, 3, I, II, III, etc. AA was started by dealers wanting to one-up the 'others,' so logically the 'others' started using AAA. Adjectives were used too... "Blue-White," etc. There were no clear definitions.

This is why GIA started their color grading scale with the letter D: They did not want their top symbol to have any association with prior systems. Thanks to the reputability and global understanding of GIA's system color and clarity grading is pretty standard across the globe (though strictness and consistency still varies). Even AGS, which overlays a numerical system, incorporates and refers to color/clarity in GIA's terms.

I'm not sure what would trump AAA... Maybe double-dog or triple lindy?
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP