shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond for Dad to give to Mom. Should I pull the trigger on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waitingimpatiently

Rough_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181460.htm

Hey guys, this diamond was suggested by a Pricescoper (thank you Ellen) and I have confirmation from several other PS''ers that this looks like a good stone. The HCA looks good. That is about all I know to do. Anyone see any reason why this is not a good stone or good value for the money? Thanks so much in advance. I''m a nervous nelly!
32.gif

Ellen is good at suggesting beautiful stones so it would be one I would definitly pop on hold ASAP so as to stop a lurker snagging it while you make your final choice :D

Should be a beauty

Snag it!

Hey great suggestion. I have lurked around this site myself enough to know that I should do that. Truth be told, I reserved it yesterday, although it doesn''t show on the site...

Awesome just wanted to make sure :D

Nothing worse then finding the one and then finding it gone

Date: 12/7/2008 11:55:23 AM
Author:waitingimpatiently
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181460.htm

Hey guys, this diamond was suggested by a Pricescoper (thank you Ellen) and I have confirmation from several other PS'ers that this looks like a good stone. The HCA looks good. That is about all I know to do. Anyone see any reason why this is not a good stone or good value for the money? Thanks so much in advance. I'm a nervous nelly!
32.gif
You are welcome!

Have you spoken to your SA about it? If not, just ask them to verify that it performs nicely, they will be honest with you.
28.gif

And thank you Dee!

I spoke to James about it. He seemed to think people here might notice that the culet was off slightly but my understanding of our conversation was that he still felt that it performed well.

Thank you all again for indulging me and helping me through this process. I really, really appreciate it.

Date: 12/7/2008 12:24:07 PM
Author: waitingimpatiently
I spoke to James about it. He seemed to think people here might notice that the culet was off slightly but my understanding of our conversation was that he still felt that it performed well.

Thank you all again for indulging me and helping me through this process. I really, really appreciate it.
I think it looks great, super size also!

I doubt your mom will notice anything, except the size.
9.gif
2.gif

Be sure and post pics when it''s done!

Date: 12/7/2008 12:38:26 PM
Author: Ellen

I doubt your mom will notice anything, except the size.
9.gif
2.gif

Be sure and post pics when it''s done!

Agreed. Go for it!

Your mom is going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks gorgeous! Ellen makes GREAT suggestions, so I''m sure it will be beautiful.

Are you going to have Whiteflash set the diamond too? Or is your dad taking care of that part? In any case, you may have thought of this already, but it just occurred to me that for such a meaningful, sentimental gift, it would be really nice to have an inscription inside the band.

SYC, thank you for the suggestion. That is a good idea. We are going to initially have it set in a temporary setting so my dad can surprise her with it. We will then let her pick out the setting she wants. I will pass the inscription idea along to my dad. I''ll bet he will like that idea.

Date: 12/7/2008 3:51:38 PM
SYC, thank you for the suggestion. That is a good idea. We are going to initially have it set in a temporary setting so my dad can surprise her with it. We will then let her pick out the setting she wants. I will pass the inscription idea along to my dad. I''ll bet he will like that idea.
Ah, that is so sweet! She will love it
1.gif

It''s definitely big for the budget.

Can you ask WF if the culet is off-center?

JulieN, the culet is off center. Is that a major problem?

Date: 12/7/2008 4:48:04 PM
JulieN, the culet is off center. Is that a major problem?

That is what causes the Good symm on the GIA report. From the ASET and IS, it looks good so Should not affect light performance.

An off-center culet that I could see would bother me as much as a big inclusion I could see. It's should be a good deal for what it is, and it seems like the major factor on the price here is the symmetry, but as mentioned, still has pretty solid performance.

Now, here is an interesting choice: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1107217.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

It seems to me like the major factors on the price here is the Very Strong Blue fluor (which may make it look oily, although it is extremely rare) and the clarity (which may be more eye-cleanish than eye-clean, but most people 40+ do not have good near field vision) which you would have to talk to JA about. it is much bigger than the 1.7, has better cut, and higher color, and a bit cheaper...

Date: 12/7/2008 3:51:38 PM
You''re very welcome. That''s a great idea to have it set in a temporary setting so she can pick the setting she wants. Good luck with it all -- your mom is going to be so thrilled!!! Just remember PS is a great resource for asking about different settings, etc. when the time comes!

it looks FAB! dont be nervous--Whiteflash is a top notch great business too boot!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Dad pulled the trigger on one this morning! I''ll be sure to post pics...
31.gif

Date: 12/8/2008 11:07:21 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Dad pulled the trigger on one this morning! I''ll be sure to post pics...
31.gif
Congrats!!!

Date: 12/9/2008 6:05:38 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 12/8/2008 11:07:21 PM
31.gif
Congrats!!!
Ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP