shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond peeves and LOVES

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
This thread is such a great example of different strokes for different folks. I see many of you list "people asking about size/color/cost" as a peeve, but I honestly couldn't care less. If people are genuinely curious (maybe they're shopping for a ring, maybe not!), I have no problem telling them anything about it, even how much it cost!

I love my ring and am proud to show it off...but even more proud of my months of research and the amazing price we paid (vs Tiffany or any BM).

Loves:
The size (perfect)
The setting (even more perfect)
Watching it sparkle in different lighting situations, like in Costco or in my room with the lights low. The fire is amazing in low light.

Peeves:
Folks who insist on spending all the $ on the stone and getting a cheap-o setting
My fiance putting his grubby finger on my stone and not understanding why I growl

val951

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 5:23:40 PM
Author: Skippy123
The one that I don''t know if it is a Peeve or what it is?!?!? A client of mine asked me if my ring was CZ. I laughed and said nope. I smile of course because they are a client!

Do you guys get the CZ question?????

I''ve also gotten the CZ question from a client! It drove me insane, but what can you do? When the same question was asked by a co-worker though...I couldn''t help being surprised and I guess it showed in my "NO!" because she got her feelings hurt...but she still didn''t seem to believe me.

I thought of another love: Trying on my wedding band with my engagement ring. Gosh, I love those rings and I CANNOT wait to wear them both! 3 months and 28 days!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had people ask me if it is real, or is it a real diamond, since it is large, and they just do not think it would be real. I just smile and say yes. I do not like when people ask the carat weight and the cost, I just think that is so rude to ask someone...I would personally never do that, but have been amazed at how many people WILL ask that...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:04:24 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have had people ask me if it is real, or is it a real diamond, since it is large, and they just do not think it would be real. I just smile and say yes. I do not like when people ask the carat weight and the cost, I just think that is so rude to ask someone...I would personally never do that, but have been amazed at how many people WILL ask that...
I think asking cost is rude, but if a stone is so huge (as yours is), I don''t think it''s too out of line to ask how big, as long as it is politely done. I don''t know where you live, but most people haven''t seen a diamond that big in person and they are just trying to gauge what they are looking at. Am I being really off the mark here? Hm...

E B

Ideal_Rock

I'm curious about this as well. Presumably, people have diamonds because they want them to be seen. If not, a CZ would do, no?

Someone asked a question a while ago (something along the lines of "If you could buy a diamond but NO one could see it but you, in private, would you spend the money?) and I thought it was interesting, because to be honest, I wouldn't, and I think "no" would be many people's honest answer. So if you buy it, and want it to be seen (completely understandable), why would you feel like it's rude when people ask about it?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:13:54 PM
Author: EBree

I''m curious about this as well. Presumably, people have diamonds because they want them to be seen. If not, a CZ would do, no?

Someone asked a question a while ago (something along the lines of ''If you could buy a 2 carat diamond but NO one could see it but you, in private, would you spend the money?) and I thought it was interesting, because to be honest, I wouldn''t, and I think ''no'' would be many people''s honest answer. So if you buy it, and want it to be seen (completely understandable), why would you feel like it''s rude when people ask about it?
OK, maybe not two carat, but I would happily pay what we paid for my one carat even if no one were to ever see it. I love it and that''s what matters.

However, I do see your point. I mean, people can''t drive a ferrari around and expect it not to be a conversation starter to some degree. If you are uncomfortable with that, you need to stick with a ford...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:16:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal

OK, maybe not two carat, but I would happily pay what we paid for my one carat even if no one were to ever see it. I love it and that''s what matters.

However, I do see your point. I mean, people can''t drive a ferrari around and expect it not to be a conversation starter to some degree. If you are uncomfortable with that, you need to stick with a ford...

I edited my post because I wasn''t sure if the OP had specified a weight, but it was the general idea. Diamonds are expensive, and even though most wouldn''t admit it, they''re total status symbols and people wear them for that reason. If you like the way a sparkly rock looks on your finger, why not buy a really well-cut moissanite, or some other stone that compares to a diamond? Why spend $25,000 and then scoff at people that are curious about it? It just doesn''t make sense to me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I disagree that people buy them because they are status symbols...well, at least not all the time. They buy them because they have the status to afford them and appreciate the beauty of it. Some people really do buy that ferrari because they appreciate what a fine fine car it is.

I won''t get into diamonds vs other options here...well, because it''s against forum rules...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am comfortable with some attention, but sometimes it is awkward and very uncomfortable for me. I love my ring, and wear it because I love it, but that does not mean I ALWAYS want attention or ALWAYS feel comfortable dealing with every person who might be making comments...no offense, that comment, to me, is a bit like saying a woman who wears a more revealing outfit is asking for certain kinds of attention otherwise she should wear clothes that cover her from head to toe, I am sure we do not really believe that in this day and age...and of course I do leave my ring at home sometimes, that makes it moot...I also think the OP was not being size specific, but just talking more about the general reaction to any diamond...And, though I love my diamond and felt comfortable spending the money, what it cost is my business, it is not anyone's right to expect me to answer a cost question, that is pretty personal and presumptious. I did not get it so I can walk around saying the size and cost, but if someone notices it and wants to compliment the STONE, fine. It is just as pretty whatever size someone thinks it is or however much it cost, low or high, that is NOT the relevant part.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:27:24 PM
I am comfortable with some attention, but sometimes it is awkward and very uncomfortable for me. I love my ring, and wear it because I love it, but that does not mean I ALWAYS want attention or ALWAYS feel comfortable dealing with every person who might be making comments...no offense, that comment, to me, is a bit like saying a woman who wears a more revealing outfit is asking for certain kinds of attention otherwise she should wear clothes that cover her from head to toe, I am sure we do not really believe that in this day and age...and of course I do leave my ring at home sometimes, that makes it moot...I also think the OP was not being size specific, but just talking more about the general reaction to any diamond...

I didn't mean to be rude, I was just curious. We all know that diamonds are expensive, and bigger diamonds mean more money, just as a new BMW obviously cost more than a new Kia. And I didn't mean to say that EVERYONE wears a diamond as a status symbol, but many do.

I also wasn't referring to any post about size, but about hating when people ask about a person's diamond, and I'm sure people with larger diamonds get more questions than people with average to smaller. I know if I saw a killer 3 carat diamond on the street, I'd stop to admire it. Why is that awful, especially if I ask about it?

p.s. I don't agree that my question compares to a girl wearing revealing clothing and asking for attention. That's a completely different subject.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
well i''m listing that as one of my peeves. i rarely get asked about my diamond. i can count on one hand how many people that have ever randomly commented on it, but when they have, they''ve asked what size it is. i dunno. it just makes me uncomfortable. i don''t think i''ve been asked how much it is. thank goodness.

loves: i''ve with tgirl and deco and others... lost of time has been lost gazing into my little disco ball.
9.gif

my favorite spot is at my inlaws. they live out on a lake and on their porch is the PERFECT diamond gazing spot. it''s UNREAL. i tried photographing it, but no dice. maybe i''ll try a little camera movie next time.
10.gif
the colors are incredible.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:27:24 PM
I am comfortable with some attention, but sometimes it is awkward and very uncomfortable for me. I love my ring, and wear it because I love it, but that does not mean I ALWAYS want attention or ALWAYS feel comfortable dealing with every person who might be making comments...no offense, that comment, to me, is a bit like saying a woman who wears a more revealing outfit is asking for certain kinds of attention otherwise she should wear clothes that cover her from head to toe, I am sure we do not really believe that in this day and age...and of course I do leave my ring at home sometimes, that makes it moot...I also think the OP was not being size specific, but just talking more about the general reaction to any diamond...And, though I love my diamond and felt comfortable spending the money, what it cost is my business, it is not anyone''s right to expect me to answer a cost question, that is pretty personal and presumptious. I did not get it so I can walk around saying the size and cost, but if someone notices it and wants to compliment the STONE, fine. It is just as pretty whatever size someone thinks it is or however much it cost, low or high, that is NOT the relevant part.
I''m not sure that''s exactly the right analogy to make. I think a more appropriate analogy is someone who is wearing regular clothes covered in sparkly Swarovski crystals...it''s asking for that kind of attention.

I totally agree that cost is your business. But size? How many PSers asked about the carat weight here, and they''ve never seen it in person? I can only imagine what seeing in IRL life is like.
1.gif
Now I am not saying it''s not totally rude to ask, but I think it really shouldn''t come as a surprise. That really is like having that ferrari and expecting people to only say "hey buddy, nice car." You have a gorgeous diamond...something special that few people ever get to see, much less own. It''s fair game to ask how much horsepower, in my opinion!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Presumably, people have diamonds because they want them to be seen. If not, a CZ would do, no?

I wouldn''t presume that necessarily. I have lots of things I love that rarely if ever get seen by others ... and I truly would still want my same Asscher even if I wore it turned around into my palm all the time - not easily viewable by anyone else ... for the reasons I mentioned earlier (namely endless entertainment).

Maybe when I was first engaged I was a little more conscious of OTHER people noticing it -- but even then it wasn''t "the ring" per se but that I had "A ring" -- an E-Ring that made it so fun! I also probably liked/still like the fact that it''s unique ... but I could have that with a sapphire or ruby or one of those cool metal rings that are cast to mimic the shape of diamonds.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think someone seeing it and saying, How nice, or what a pretty stone, is fine. But just to assume that because I am wearing it I want people to ask what I consider to be fairly personal and private things, not true......plus, it could be fake, or I could have a large chunk of frozen spit, which would not necessarily cost as much as the equivalent sized stone of better quality. I guess the remark about if someone is wearing it they should just deal and they must want that attention or they would not have it irked me, because I see a parallel...there is just a totally erroneous assumption there about someone''s motives and choices. In certain settings I am totally fine with attention, and I have learned to tone down what I have on if I am thinking I might be uncomfortable with my ring or other jewelry in a given setting...and I know I would never, as much as I liked someone''s ring and might drool over it, I would just never ask certain things, it is not my style.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:37:00 PM

How many PSers asked about the carat weight here, and they've never seen it in person? I can only imagine what seeing in IRL life is like.
1.gif
Now I am not saying it's not totally rude to ask, but I think it really shouldn't come as a surprise. That really is like having that ferrari and expecting people to only say 'hey buddy, nice car.' You have a gorgeous diamond...something special that few people ever get to see, much less own. It's fair game to ask how much horsepower, in my opinion!

That's what I've been trying to say, only *I* personally wouldn't think it's rude at all, but to each his or her own. My cousin asked me over Christmas how much my ring cost, and I didn't mind telling her at all. She and her boyfriend are close to engagement, and she was curious as to how much money can buy. I know I asked a married friend of mine how big her diamond was before I was engaged, and she blurted it out without even thinking. It's amazing how little people know about diamonds, and I'd rather inform than hide. Especially if I'm wearing it proudly.

That being said, I'd probably feel weird telling a stranger, but I still would.
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:41:04 PM
Author: decodelighted

Presumably, people have diamonds because they want them to be seen. If not, a CZ would do, no?

I wouldn''t presume that necessarily. I have lots of things I love that rarely if ever get seen by others ... and I truly would still want my same Asscher even if I wore it turned around into my palm all the time - not easily viewable by anyone else ... for the reasons I mentioned earlier (namely endless entertainment).

Maybe when I was first engaged I was a little more conscious of OTHER people noticing it -- but even then it wasn''t ''the ring'' per se but that I had ''A ring'' -- an E-Ring that made it so fun! I also probably liked/still like the fact that it''s unique ... but I could have that with a sapphire or ruby or one of those cool metal rings that are cast to mimic the shape of diamonds.

Deco, if I saw your fabulous asscher on the street, I''d fawn all over it. And I''d hope you wouldn''t mind. I''ve never seen a beautiful asscher in person before.
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:43:52 PM
Well, I think someone seeing it and saying, How nice, or what a pretty stone, is fine. But just to assume that because I am wearing it I want people to ask what I consider to be fairly personal and private things, not true......plus, it could be fake, or I could have a large chunk of frozen spit, which would not necessarily cost as much as the equivalent sized stone of better quality. I guess the remark about if someone is wearing it they should just deal and they must want that attention or they would not have it irked me, because I see a parallel...there is just a totally erroneous assumption there about someone''s motives and choices. In certain settings I am totally fine with attention, and I have learned to tone down what I have on if I am thinking I might be uncomfortable with my ring or other jewelry in a given setting...and I know I would never, as much as I liked someone''s ring and might drool over it, I would just never ask certain things, it is not my style.
Errr...I''ve seen your ring on PS. Not frozen spit...not could ever be confused with frozen spit...
2.gif

I do AGREE with you for the most part. I am not saying you *want* attention. I also agree that it is not my style either to ask...I just admire from afar. All I am saying that your ring would be a conversation piece to many, and it is possible that they are not trying to be rude in any way by asking how big it is.

And btw, I get asked how big my stone is all the time...and it''s only a wee 1 carat!!! They aren''t asking because there are any assumptions about anyone''s motives and choices, they are simply curious as to how big (or small
9.gif
) it is.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, I think people who KNOW stones would extrapolate costs based on certain factors. I you tell them the carat weight and they ask color/clairty, they might be able to ball park a price if they are informed about stones in the current market. If a car lover sees a great car, and asks the other guy, Hey, what kind of engine is it or what blah blah pistons or wow don't you love that such and such transmission (can you tell I know little about cars?!)...that makes sense to me. I even could see money or price coming up if car lover A is looking at buying the same car B has and wants to negotiate with the dealer and have an idea of price. In terms of diamonds, most non PS people know a bit maybe, but likelier not, and they are not likely to ask, hey, what is the depth percentage and crown angle and fluourscence on that baby? I can see them asking size, which is totally fine, I just dislike when they ask the size and then say, OH! I would never wear that! or Why do you want THAT? Or say, wow, how much did THAT cost? Here, on PS, I know I am with a group of people who love bling just like me, and I really respect the views and opinions of people, and I feel okay about discussing certain things. I was a bit more shy in the beginning, but started to feel more comfy as time passed. Some random stranger on the street wanting to know how much my ring cost just skeeves me out a bit, I usually say it was a gift and I do not know, which is mostly the truth anyway! ETA: a cousin asking prices because they are looking at rings and want an idea of what things costs is totally different than a stranger grabbing your hand and asking what you spent..I would always be helpful to family or a good friend, and I would likely answer stuff posed to me by a family member or good friend, I was speaking more about random people you do not know in strange settings...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:33:53 PM
Author: jcrow
well i'm listing that as one of my peeves. i rarely get asked about my diamond. i can count on one hand how many people that have ever randomly commented on it, but when they have, they've asked what size it is. i dunno. it just makes me uncomfortable. i don't think i've been asked how much it is. thank goodness.

loves: i've with tgirl and deco and others... lost of time has been lost gazing into my little disco ball.
9.gif

my favorite spot is at my inlaws. they live out on a lake and on their porch is the PERFECT diamond gazing spot. it's UNREAL. i tried photographing it, but no dice. maybe i'll try a little camera movie next time.
10.gif
the colors are incredible.
I bet people are a little jealous. We admire it Jcrow
face23.gif
Yes do a little video. I watched all the video's on GOG so I could see the little guys sparkle
9.gif

A long time ago I asked a lady how big was her diamond. It was a 3 carat!!! I ask some people I feel comfortable with but I can kind of guess most of the time. I don't ask anymore because I feel people MIGHT think it is rude. Who knows.
I would answer someone who asked me and not get offended.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that our diamonds entertain us!!
36.gif
36.gif
hee heee

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:52:40 PM
TG, I think people who KNOW stones would extrapolate costs based on certain factors. I you tell them the carat weight and they ask color/clairty, they might be able to ball park a price if they are informed about stones in the current market. If a car lover sees a great car, and asks the other guy, Hey, what kind of engine is it or what blah blah pistons or wow don''t you love that such and such transmission (can you tell I know little about cars?!)...that makes sense to me. I even could see money or price coming up if car lover A is looking at buying the same car B has and wants to negotiate with the dealer and have an idea of price. In terms of diamonds, most non PS people know a bit maybe, but likelier not, and they are not likely to ask, hey, what is the depth percentage and crown angle and fluourscence on that baby? I can see them asking size, which is totally fine, I just dislike when they ask the size and then say, OH! I would never wear that! or Why do you want THAT? Or say, wow, how much did THAT cost? Here, on PS, I know I am with a group of people who love bling just like me, and I really respect the views and opinions of people, and I feel okay about discussing certain things. I was a bit more shy in the beginning, but started to feel more comfy as time passed. Some random stranger on the street wanting to know how much my ring cost just skeeves me out a bit, I usually say it was a gift and I do not know, which is mostly the truth anyway!
Yes, I agree to all. All I was saying that asking size may not be with any rude intent. Now, if someone asks and then exclaims "Oh, I would never wear that," simply smile graciously and say, "No, I don''t ever see you wearing it either dear."
11.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
TG, I think people who KNOW stones would extrapolate costs based on certain factors. I you tell them the carat weight and they ask color/clairty, they might be able to ball park a price if they are informed about stones in the current market.

But you''re assuming most people are informed about stones in the current market, and most really aren''t. I certainly wasn''t, before I found PS. In fact, I thought my friend''s stone was a 1ct and it''s almost 1.5cts! Shows how much I knew.

I guess I just find questions harmless. If someone''s asking you in order to rob you, that''s one thing...but if someone genuinely appreciates your diamond''s beauty and wants to know about it, what''s the big deal? Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:57:06 PM

TG, I think people who KNOW stones would extrapolate costs based on certain factors. I you tell them the carat weight and they ask color/clairty, they might be able to ball park a price if they are informed about stones in the current market. If a car lover sees a great car, and asks the other guy, Hey, what kind of engine is it or what blah blah pistons or wow don''t you love that such and such transmission (can you tell I know little about cars?!)...that makes sense to me. I even could see money or price coming up if car lover A is looking at buying the same car B has and wants to negotiate with the dealer and have an idea of price. In terms of diamonds, most non PS people know a bit maybe, but likelier not, and they are not likely to ask, hey, what is the depth percentage and crown angle and fluourscence on that baby? I can see them asking size, which is totally fine, I just dislike when they ask the size and then say, OH! I would never wear that! or Why do you want THAT? Or say, wow, how much did THAT cost? Here, on PS, I know I am with a group of people who love bling just like me, and I really respect the views and opinions of people, and I feel okay about discussing certain things. I was a bit more shy in the beginning, but started to feel more comfy as time passed. Some random stranger on the street wanting to know how much my ring cost just skeeves me out a bit, I usually say it was a gift and I do not know, which is mostly the truth anyway!
Yes, I agree to all. All I was saying that asking size may not be with any rude intent. Now, if someone asks and then exclaims ''Oh, I would never wear that,'' simply smile graciously and say, ''No, I don''t ever see you wearing it either dear.''
11.gif

TG, I might just say, Good thing it is not yours then!
2.gif

Ebree,, my whole point is that most people are not informed, and are just asking because the ring looks pretty to them or large or whatever. Again, I am fine with someone liking my ring or complimenting it, but there are just some lines that I would never cross, bling lover that I am, and if someone crosses them with me, especially when I am alone in public, it makes me uncomfortable. Exclaim away if you like my ring or think it is pretty, that is a wonderful compliment. I would just rather not go a lot further than that, because it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like to be ungracious.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:07:35 PM

Ebree,, my whole point is that most people are not informed, and are just asking because the ring looks pretty to them or large or whatever. Again, I am fine with someone liking my ring or complimenting it, but there are just some lines that I would never cross, bling lover that I am, and if someone crosses them with me, especially when I am alone in public, it makes me uncomfortable. Exclaim away if you like my ring or think it is pretty, that is a wonderful compliment. I would just rather not go a lot further than that, because it makes me uncomfortable and I do not like to be ungracious.

If that's how you feel, then I completely agree. It's never cool to feel as though you should disclose something you're not comfortable with.

ETA: ....even though I might not agree. Different strokes! Different strokes!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 10:09:51 PM

I think asking cost is rude, but if a stone is so huge (as yours is), I don''t think it''s too out of line to ask how big, as long as it is politely done. I don''t know where you live, but most people haven''t seen a diamond that big in person and they are just trying to gauge what they are looking at. Am I being really off the mark here? Hm...

TG, I live in the Main Line of Philadelphia...and while I have not seen many, there are some large and I mean large (10 to 15 carat) rings on women here, some of whom I know! So I think the women I know might oogle and look and say, Oh, is that new? Or I love your ring, but that would likely be the end of it....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond Fan,
I have a friend from Philly and she talked about the main line so I know what you are talking about.
I looked for your diamond and found it. WOW, that is huge. I think I wouldn't ask you but I would totally be wondering how many carats!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:11:14 PM
Date: 1/21/2007 11:07:35 PM

If that''s how you feel, then I completely agree. It''s never cool to feel as though you should disclose something you''re not comfortable with.

ETA: ....even though I might not agree. Different strokes! Different strokes!
9.gif

Well...I was in the mall in King of Prussia with my son buying sun glasses. I am a lefty so when I signed the charge he saw my ring and SCREAMED so the entire store could hear (and they all turned around!) OH MY GOD HOW BIG IS YOUR RING IT MUST HAVE COST A FORTUNE! (this after I had to show him ID for the purchase and he saw my address). Then he told me he had worked at Zales before this and loved diamonds, so I felt a bit better, but I was thinking about walking to my car with my son in a dark parking lot...and it did make me a bit anxious...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:13:34 PM

TG, I live in the Main Line of Philadelphia...and while I have not seen many, there are some large and I mean large (10 to 15 carat) rings on women here, some of whom I know! So I think the women I know might oogle and look and say, Oh, is that new? Or I love your ring, but that would likely be the end of it....
Boy, that''s not large....that''s MONGO!

I live in L.A. but I must not be in tune to things around me. I haven''t seen anything too giant around here...and I hang out in some pretty affluent areas.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, where does she live? (like I know her!!! lol)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 11:18:33 PM

I live in L.A. but I must not be in tune to things around me. I haven''t seen anything too giant around here...and I
hang out in some pretty affluent areas.

Same. I live in L.A. (well, Pasadena) and I haven''t seen anything insanely huge either (2 cts is huge to me!). The only really large diamond I saw belonged to a woman in a jewelry mart, and it was a total piece of frozen spit. Ugh. The other rings I see are around my size (1ct) or smaller.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up in Beverly Hills and lived there til I was 32, and as much as I love bling I cannot recall seeing many really big rings...and I KNOW I looked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results