shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY Help Taking ASET Scope Photos of Mounted Diamonds

Gnmu

Rough_Rock
Any tips for looking at a mounted diamond through ASET scope? The reason being. I purchased an e-ring from DeBeers a few months ago. Now, I'm very happy with the ring, but having come across this site, I was extremely curious how its ASET images would match up against these "super ideal" cuts (unfortunately I didn't ask for them at the time, though admittedly they probably don't have them).

So like any "reasonable" person, I went out and ordered an ASET scope AND an ideal scope. The problem though is that some shots I can see less/more light leakage under the table, and second, glare in the ASET scope is more prominent (maybe because the metal reflects more light). So I can't tell if it's glare or just light leakage. I'm also holding the ring by hand, so the shots probably aren't the most accurate.

Anyone have DIY methods of taking good ASET/IS images?

Note: I'm expecting *some* light leakage because I have a 34.5/41.0 CA/PA combo which I've gathered is quite borderline, though to be honest I don't see that many darker areas (apart from around the base of the arrows) under the table and to the naked eye, it still looks gorgeous.

Its glare from the light hitting the lens in the scope.
The diamond is to far into the scope in the ASET image.
The diamond is very well cut.

Beautiful stones and photos.
There is no leakage. The white on the arrow is the reflection of the lense. You got some light entering from the side , hitting the pavilion, causing the white under the table.

@Karl_K. Thanks! I'll give your tips a try.

@flyingpig. Thank you! And please tell me your DIY ASET scope in your photo doesn't work and I didn't just spend 50 dollars on an ASET scope haha. Actually, would putting the diamond in a tube help eliminate light interference? (Do I really want to do that).

This is the preferred method if you want to eliminate any light interference. The backlight hits and enters the pavilion from the bottom, not from other angle. Use laptop or smartphone screen as backlight. (White wall paper )
aset-light-tray.jpg
You may have inteference if you do like this especially if you multiple light fixtures in the room. The diamond appears glassy and crystal-like, as like in your photos.
aset-with-diamond.jpg

A great background light is a monitor with a white screen(open notepad or or other text editor full screen) with no other bright lights close. hold the scope up to your eye roughly 10 inches away from the screen, then center the stone in the scope and adjust the distance until the arrows are solid blue then tilt the stone so that all the arrow shafts under the table are even in length.
Adjust the distance the stone into the scope until the arrows go black then back out until they go blue, then just a bit more and you should be good.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP