shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you tell people your age?

I have no problem sharing my age. Sometimes I even get it wrong! Furthermore, I do not even mind when my students ask. I usually will have them guess for fun! Theirs and mine. :lol:

I’m of the “why would you not” camp on this. Age is a characteristic that we cannot modify. And nothing to be ashamed of no matter what the number.

I’m so stunned that I made it as long as I have ….. so I love to brag about it:)
And I find most people like to tell me their age if it comes up in conversation

I’m of the “why would you not” camp on this. Age is a characteristic that we cannot modify. And nothing to be ashamed of no matter what the number.

This. And they see my marionette lines so the jig is up. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Lol. I think all of us who have posted that we look younger than we are, have either discovered the best skin care anti aging regimen or we are all wishful thinkers! Hahhaha

Sometimes I look in the rearview mirror and wonder who the old lady is, and where the heck all the fine lines came from. I try not to look and wear lots of sunscreen.

Lol. I think all of us who have posted that we look younger than we are, have either discovered the best skin care anti aging regimen or we are all wishful thinkers! Hahhaha

Combo of both!!!

Sometimes I look in the rearview mirror and wonder who the old lady is, and where the heck all the fine lines came from. I try not to look and wear lots of sunscreen.

In all fairness, I come by them honestly (my Mom). She had no wrinkles, but those lines!

I’d tell someone if they asked. I think they can guess fairly accurately just by looking at me.

I'm not ashamed of my age, but I don't advertise it either. I definitely look a lot younger than I am. I recently got asked for ID when ordering a drink in the US and I'm literally double the drinking age there :lol-2:

I don't mind being open about my age (though not on the internet, usually). Most people tend to guess reasonably accurately to my actual age (they usually go about 5-6 years younger at most) so I'm pretty happy with that (I'm late 20s-early 30s). Though there was this one time I was out and this (super young) guy guessed I was 18-20y old, but that may have been just a way to chat me up because he was 21 :lol:

I don't have any problem telling people my age. It is what it is. But I'm not asked much. Probably because all my friends already know and strangers would have no reason to ask, unless they need to see my ID for some reason.

My answer depends on context!

With family, friends and acquaintances, they’ll know my age if they ask :)

It’s a bit different with people I’ve just met though. It’s common in Chinese culture to ask someone’s age because depending on how old you are relative to them, you’ll call each other different honorifics (eg. if I’m older, then they’ll call me “older sister”/“auntie” depending on our generation, and vice versa).

However, in a Western context, I tend to be more vague with strangers (“mid-30s”), not because I’m trying to hide anything but because I find that a broad bucket means it’s easier to identify with.

I don’t mind. It is what it is. It’s definitely in the genes & my sisters & I have had comments forever about not looking our ages. I once got ID’d for a bottle of wine (you have to be 21 to purchase from supermarkets in the UK) when I was 38 & had 2 babies sat in the trolley seat. Best. Day. Ever.

I also turned 50 in June & had people all over the house prepping, who were all wondering which lady’s 50th it was :lol-2:

However, it can also be a problem in other ways. I am a Governor at my school & a local village Councillor & sometimes people question my experience or knowledge, or talk over me to an older looking colleague. I find that REALLY infuriating.

So swings & roundabouts. At some point my face will catch up with the numbers & I’m cool with that. My father died at 58 & my oldest sister recently turned 59. It’s not lost on us that as funny & as flattering as it can be when someone says “No WAY are you that old!” some people don’t have the luxury of growing old. You look like you look & nothing more. It’s irrelevant, really.

I keep myself healthy & flexible & apply lots of lovely lotions & potions & hope for the best & the longest life that I can!

Yes, I’m 51 and I tell anyone who asks. I don’t mind it because I look younger due to good Asian genes and I want to have the respect and authority earned, especially at work, where I at a very senior level, but don’t always look the part!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP