shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a Minoru Hotta ring?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The pieces really are made of hundreds of tiny cubes, perfectly aligned.

There's a video of the technique online. I don't think I'm allowed to link to it, but basic searching will find it. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it seems to skip over some crucial details...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The pieces really are made of hundreds of tiny cubes, perfectly aligned.

There's a video of the technique online. I don't think I'm allowed to link to it, but basic searching will find it. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it seems to skip over some crucial details...

It's honestly mind blowing. Sadly, the prices are incredibly high. 9k USD for the one I'd theoretically like to own....

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pics up above look like CAD renderings. Does the real thing look like this? reminds me of all the fancy cutting board reels I keep getting served.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Those pics up above look like CAD renderings. Does the real thing look like this? reminds me of all the fancy cutting board reels I keep getting served.

If you look right at the end of the technique video on Ganoksin (not allowed to link), you can see a finished ring. It looks a lot like the other pics. Granted, it's a simpler ring, only three rows wide. My guess is that the pics are of real rings. Note the textured white surface on the 3rd and 4th pics above, with DOF blurring at the back - this would not normally be shown in a CAD. I also at least suspect (may be wrong) that Minoru Hotta might regard CADs as beneath his dignity as a craftsman.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:shock:I couldn't afford any of it, but if that's what they can do, it's absolutely remarkable!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He has pics of finished rings on his IG and they look exactly rhe same. It's beyond impressive

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
My Japanese friend visited last week. I requested him to visit the Minoru Hotta store upon his return. He did, and he met Minoru Hotta! They got along so well that they are going to have coffee together to continue their conversation. My friend’s photos of the jewelry show them to be exactly like the ones on the Instagram and the website. Hotta-San shared that the most challenging part of making the jewelry from gold, silver, and platinum is that they all have different melting points. He had to make technical calculations. Sheer brilliance!

Sharing my friend’s photos. The person in the last pic is Minoru Hotta. He happened to be at the Isetan store in Shinjuku when my friend stopped by.
43940ce9-522a-40a3-a27e-ce2e170cc4aa.jpeg
12c6d148-86c2-4bff-81e4-19dbc875d27c.jpeg baa29105-b608-46c3-8842-f9c8b79fc887.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Japanese friend visited last week. I requested him to visit the Minoru Hotta store upon his return. He did, and he met Minoru Hotta! They got along so well that they are going to have coffee together to continue their conversation. My friend’s photos of the jewelry show them to be exactly like the ones on the Instagram and the website. Hotta-San shared that the most challenging part of making the jewelry from gold, silver, and platinum is that they all have different melting points. He had to make technical calculations. Sheer brilliance!

Sharing my friend’s photos. The person in the last pic is Minoru Hotta. He happened to be at the Isetan store in Shinjuku when my friend stopped by.
43940ce9-522a-40a3-a27e-ce2e170cc4aa.jpeg
12c6d148-86c2-4bff-81e4-19dbc875d27c.jpeg baa29105-b608-46c3-8842-f9c8b79fc887.jpeg

Oh my goodness I'm so jealous!!!! Incredible, he's a freaking genius

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for starting this thread, @lovedogs!
Now my friend has a new friend in Hotta-san, and I will probably get to meet Hotta-San at some point.

So amazing, I love it. One of his pieces is on my bucket list for sure

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results