shape
carat
color
clarity

Dust Request For My Kitty Please

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1313031532|2988307 said:
An addition to what MZ said about constipation -- you can add pure pumpkin (1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp daily) into his food if constipation becomes an issue. It took my girl some time to get used to the pumpkin but she's ok with it now and she simply can't poop without it. Sheesh, you know what a close knit animal loving community PS is when we start sharing poop tales :bigsmile:

Ha agreed! And thank you for the tip about the pumpkin-I'll keep an eye on him! So since we're talking poop-does the medication make them constipated? Or is it the special food?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So happy to hear the good news....now fatten that kitty up!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY for a happy kitty and a happy kitty mummy! :bigsmile: Big cuddles to your handsome furbaby xx

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad it is something treatable...plus you are getting lots of good advice from others who have dealt with the same issue.
Sounds like you are taking very good care of the kitty...hopefully he will fatten up and continue to improve.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Thing - I'm so glad to hear that you should be able to treat your sweet boy!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1313035102|2988331 said:
An addition to what MZ said about constipation -- you can add pure pumpkin (1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp daily) into his food if constipation becomes an issue. It took my girl some time to get used to the pumpkin but she's ok with it now and she simply can't poop without it. Sheesh, you know what a close knit animal loving community PS is when we start sharing poop tales :bigsmile:

Ha agreed! And thank you for the tip about the pumpkin-I'll keep an eye on him! So since we're talking poop-does the medication make them constipated? Or is it the special food?

In Maggie's case, it's the disease that causes it. Constipation and/or diarrhea are major symptoms of IBD. She would have bouts of constipation followed by bouts of diarrhea & projectile vomiting. Canned food is much easier to digest and because of its higher liquid content, makes it easier for her to go. My vet didn't mention the steroid being a factor with the constipation. It does have implications for liver and kidney function and over time, can cause diabetes.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1313085582|2988666 said:
thing2of2|1313035102|2988331 said:

In Maggie's case, it's the disease that causes it. Constipation and/or diarrhea are major symptoms of IBD. She would have bouts of constipation followed by bouts of diarrhea & projectile vomiting. Canned food is much easier to digest and because of its higher liquid content, makes it easier for her to go. My vet didn't mention the steroid being a factor with the constipation. It does have implications for liver and kidney function and over time, can cause diabetes.

Okay, gotcha. Well now I'm wondering how I'll know if he's constipated! Are there any symptoms aside from not pooping? The problem is I have 2 other kitties and it's not always easy to distinguish between them, if you know what I mean. :cheeky:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="Matata| It does have implications for liver and kidney function and over time, can cause diabetes.[/quote]

yes, it does. over time LaHonda developed diabetes. then it went away. then it came back. neither instance had high numbers but we had to watch it closely and make sure her dosage was correct re meds for diabetes. i will also say that it is very important to get these tests done on a regular basis. it is easy to go on symptoms alone and end up over medicating the disease and causing further problems.

re the constipation: she also had to go into the vet to get "cleaned out".........with a diet change, lactalose, and subcutaneous fluids we were able to manage this part of the disease for a good length of time.

i don't mean to be doom and gloom, this is a serious disease and over time took LaHonda's life. the stress of everything and the then reoccuring diabetes finally took its toll on her at almost 18 years of age. please note that she lived at least 2-3 years with things being managed. however, i knew early in 2010 she wouldn't make it to 1/1/2011. don't ask me how i knew but i did.

the diet change is the biggest and best thing you can do for kitty right now.

btw, i ordered some of the food that Matata recommended to try on my old 17 year old Harley cat who has kidney and heart disease.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results