clarity

Emerald + OEC in an Antique-Inspired Setting

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Flipping gorgeous in EVERY way, from the colour to the diamonds to the setting & those CLAWS!!
Thank you @Ally T - I have been dabbling in vintage/antique rings/stones and wanted something that looked the part. So happy that the OECs are every bit as sparkly as I hoped. I've always admired everyone's claws and DK did such a great job with them - I am hooked haha. Looking forward to more claw projects :D

I am drooling on my keyboard over here.
Haha thank you @derbygal ! :mrgreen:

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mean the stones are amazing but that setting?! So swoopy and spiky, it's amazing! The design is really special. Did you have inspiration settings?

Bit nervous about your band - those diamonds look look like they might press and rub and eat the prongs of your beautiful new ring, although it's slightly difficult to tell from the top view... Do you need a spacer? :think:

Hello @Lykame ! Thank you for the kind words - I sent DK this: "I would love a 3-stone ring in this fashion (antique-looking, lots of claw prongs)" some inspo photos and he did the rest with some input from me along the way.

My main inspiration was @elle_71125 's AMAZING Esme:
1721261363217.png

Then I sent him this photo that I wanted features from:
1721261398536.png
This was his design number 1, so I think he was on the right track from the beginning. Slight changes from me (less swirls, E-W orientation, thicker shank, bigger OECs) and we were good to go!
1721261876028.png

Re: the band, my wedding ring setting doesn't really hurt my ER (they are both platinum) and I wear the pair every day without a spacer. I don't anticipate wearing the emerald ring as often on my left hand, it was just easier to photograph! That being said, I will look out to see if there is indeed any rubbing with this new ring, thanks for the heads up!

IMG_8560.jpg

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 This ring is divine and looks so wearable! I really love how delicate the proportions are.

Emeralds are so hard to photograph, and buy online… did you ask JR for something in particular? Did you select it from their online inventory? Was there a color target? I’ve been wanting an emerald ring forever but get stuck on finding the stone to start with.

How did you land on OECs for sides? Do they complement the cushion facets best? Personal preference? I’m an MRB girl (only bc they are objectively “easier” to buy in terms of cut) and would default to them unless that’s a bad idea with an emerald or a cushion.

I really respect your fearlessness. Your collection has grown with such unique pieces while I still ponder one. Thanks for any advice!

Hello @HockeyMama ! I did the very simple method of just combing through JR's website :bigsmile: I watched all the videos and perused all the photos very closely.

My main parameters were cushion shape or emerald/Asscher shape and I wanted bright green/lively + Colombian origin. I sent them a list of the emeralds I was interested in and they sent me a video with all of them together. Screenshot:
1721262508209.png
Once I chose the emerald, they sent off to GIA and then it was off to DK!

I was choosing between pears and rounds for the sides and when I decided I wanted a more "old world"/antique look, I thought, why not OECs! DK said he would be able to source them, so I trusted his eye. I also felt like the OECs worked with the faceting of the cushion (not super precise).

Thank you - my jewelry acquisition style is a bit different. I have all these projects in my head, and I do a lot of daydreaming/pondering before I purchase a stone/decide on a design. So when I finally start, it comes together very quickly. I also wasn't too focused on getting the "perfect specs" for this one, since it was a smaller project. That may be the difference - I believe you are looking for a significant emerald ($20-30k)...and when you are spending that much, you should definitely take your time to ponder and make sure you are making the right decision! Good luck on your search, and the inspection/return period is your best friend. I would have had no issues returning the stone to JR if I wasn't happy with it!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG GORGEOUS!! I also have a recent JR emerald purchase in a DK setting that I am obsessed with!!

I LOVE your emerald, it positively GLOWS! Gorgeous! Enjoy it!!
I just peeked at your ring and I totally understand why you are obsessed! Beautiful!!Thank you and enjoy yours as well @Inked !!
1721263999969.png

That glow is otherworldly!
I think so too! Thank you @JPie ! ::)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 - what a beauty! Congratulations!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
what a stunning emerald! It absolutely glows. I bet you stare at it all day long. Congratulations!

HockeyMama

Shiny_Rock
Hello @HockeyMama ! I did the very simple method of just combing through JR's website :bigsmile: I watched all the videos and perused all the photos very closely.

My main parameters were cushion shape or emerald/Asscher shape and I wanted bright green/lively + Colombian origin. I sent them a list of the emeralds I was interested in and they sent me a video with all of them together. Screenshot:
1721262508209.png
Once I chose the emerald, they sent off to GIA and then it was off to DK!

I was choosing between pears and rounds for the sides and when I decided I wanted a more "old world"/antique look, I thought, why not OECs! DK said he would be able to source them, so I trusted his eye. I also felt like the OECs worked with the faceting of the cushion (not super precise).

Thank you - my jewelry acquisition style is a bit different. I have all these projects in my head, and I do a lot of daydreaming/pondering before I purchase a stone/decide on a design. So when I finally start, it comes together very quickly. I also wasn't too focused on getting the "perfect specs" for this one, since it was a smaller project. That may be the difference - I believe you are looking for a significant emerald ($20-30k)...and when you are spending that much, you should definitely take your time to ponder and make sure you are making the right decision! Good luck on your search, and the inspection/return period is your best friend. I would have had no issues returning the stone to JR if I wasn't happy with it!

Thank you so much for taking the time for this detailed reply. I think I’m stuck because I’ve made it a big thing. I so love your piece and if I ended up with something nearly as beautiful I would be thrilled.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 - what a beauty! Congratulations!
Thank you so much @mrs-b ! I adore your collection, so that means a lot! :kiss2:

what a stunning emerald! It absolutely glows. I bet you stare at it all day long. Congratulations!
It was a truly lucky find @iluvcarats - thank you! Haha my husband just told me to “stop being weird” because I kept looking at it/posing my hands this way and that :lol:

Thank you so much for taking the time for this detailed reply. I think I’m stuck because I’ve made it a big thing. I so love your piece and if I ended up with something nearly as beautiful I would be thrilled.
Anytime @HockeyMama ! I don’t think you’re stuck - you’re being very thoughtful about your emerald choice, as you should be. I’m sure you will find the one that hits all your requirements and it will be glorious! If it means anything, this is the third loose emerald (and 5th emerald ring) I’ve purchased, so it gets easier to recognize what you like/don’t like when purchasing online ;))

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hello @Lykame ! Thank you for the kind words - I sent DK this: "I would love a 3-stone ring in this fashion (antique-looking, lots of claw prongs)" some inspo photos and he did the rest with some input from me along the way.

My main inspiration was @elle_71125 's AMAZING Esme:
1721261363217.png

Then I sent him this photo that I wanted features from:
1721261398536.png
This was his design number 1, so I think he was on the right track from the beginning. Slight changes from me (less swirls, E-W orientation, thicker shank, bigger OECs) and we were good to go!
1721261876028.png

Re: the band, my wedding ring setting doesn't really hurt my ER (they are both platinum) and I wear the pair every day without a spacer. I don't anticipate wearing the emerald ring as often on my left hand, it was just easier to photograph! That being said, I will look out to see if there is indeed any rubbing with this new ring, thanks for the heads up!

IMG_8560.jpg

Ah thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response! Your inspiration pieces are amazing too - your final design totally nails the claw prongs! So awesome.

Very glad your band doesn't seem to be digging into your ring. Even better if you're not actually wearing them together all the time.

On a separate note, I love the side profile of your band, too. That's lovely. I love shared prong settings.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response! Your inspiration pieces are amazing too - your final design totally nails the claw prongs! So awesome.

Very glad your band doesn't seem to be digging into your ring. Even better if you're not actually wearing them together all the time.

On a separate note, I love the side profile of your band, too. That's lovely. I love shared prong settings.

Thank you so much @Lykame ! IDJewelry did a great job with my band - I’ve worn it everyday for almost 5 yrs and do not baby it at all, and it’s held up well!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
First time I saw you show this ring my mind immediately jumped to the memory of Esme before I registered the different shape and design and consciously realised it was a new ring. You did splendidly. The colour steals the show.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First time I saw you show this ring my mind immediately jumped to the memory of Esme before I registered the different shape and design and consciously realised it was a new ring. You did splendidly. The colour steals the show.

Thank you so much @Avondale ! Elle’s lovely Esme was the main inspiration for this ring, so for you to think it was the same ring is a wonderful compliment! ::)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just STUNNING!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results