shape
carat
color
clarity

excellent customer service at AGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to say how impressed I've been with the level of service provided by the AGL and Cap Beesley. It's one of the top colored stone labs in the US, but working with them has been more like working with the great appraisers on Pricescope and DT such as Dave Atlas, Rich Sherwood, and Marty Haske...they're very approachable and interested in discussing at length the relative merits of a stone that you're considering. It's rather different than the anonymous / corporate sort of response that you get from the big diamond labs.

An AGL full report is just about the most thorough grading report in the business, with separate grades for color, clarity, cut, finish, light return, origin, etc.; Beesley himself spent a fair amount of time on the phone with me going over each aspect of my report, explaining what his thinking was that went into each grade, and answering a few questions I had about potential improvements with some minor recutting.

I've made this comment here before, but I really don't understand why folks don't expect reports for colored stones the way they do for diamonds, even for a purchase of a few thousand dollars; or at least make a sale contingent upon a satisfactory result like I did. There's rather more involved with colored gem grading than for diamonds, but buyers expect less information or no information at all. Huh. And the cost of a full AGL report really isn't out of line with what the big diamond labs charge, or even what independent appraisers charge for a detailed analysis.

----------------
On 2/21/2004 12:47:40 PM elmo wrote:

I've made this comment here before, but I really don't understand why folks don't expect reports for colored stones the way they do for diamonds, even for a purchase of a few thousand dollars; or at least make a sale contingent upon a satisfactory result like I did. There's rather more involved with colored gem grading than for diamonds, but buyers expect less information or no information at all. Huh. And the cost of a full AGL report really isn't out of line with what the big diamond labs charge, or even what independent appraisers charge for a detailed analysis.
----------------

Hi Elmo,

it is good to see your feedback on your great experience with AGL. Many folks who are in the market for colored stones care about the color they are looking for. A priority on clarity and cut isn't emphasized as much as it is in the diamond market. Especially the kind of inquisitive educated buyers here on Pricescope. I think from a consumers standpoint most people are in the market for color and don't really investigate the nuances of colored stone grading compared to the grading of diamonds.

I think you bring up some great points. Consumers need to realize colored stone grading is especially important and getting a cetified independent appraisal when purchasing an expensive gem quality stone and full dislosure concerning any treatments is paramount in gem grading which would greatly affect the price of a gem and whether it's being mis-represented.

Purchasing a high gem quality piece can be a great experience, but there are many nuances which need to be disclosed in color grading that differ from diamond grading. Origin, Whether or not the gem has been enhanced, and if the gem is a natural if marketed as so.

I think for the most part when people are not looking to spend a whole lot of money a gem grading report isn't really neccessary, but when folks are looking for a real high quality piece they should always insist on getting what they paid for which would definitely warrant a appraisal and/or gem grading report....
21.gif

Great Post!
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics