shape
carat
color
clarity

Facet search for lab cushion?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume 8 main means closer to H&A less crushed ice? My last concern on the one from Adiamor and whether the inclusions will show. I know this is a vs2 and the definition of that, but when I look at the magnified version seems like a lot of inclusions. Believe me I don’t care if it’s invisible to naked eye… but can I trust the VS2 invisible to naked eye with IGI cert? I think to the one from WF is beautiful! But more crushed ice look. Thank you for finding these too! I’m leaning toward the Adiamor. Thoughts on the vs2 issue??
Thanks so much! This is so helpful !

Neither are crushed ice, but the 8 main seems to be what you're lookng for in terms of being close to H&A style. I don't think you'll see the inclusions with the naked eye. I'd buy and see it in person. If you aren't happy you can return it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI everyone!!
My take: the term "crushed ice"...while illustrative in a manner of speaking is not gemological. And more....really hard to define.
Making matters more interesting is that the plots on lab reports aren't all that useful in most cases in determining how the actual cushion will look.
H&A is maybe an exception in that the plots pretty much look consistent.
But there are times a plot makes a stone look like it won't have the "crushed ice" effect, yet it does.
And vice versa......

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like the first one tyty found. I doubt those inclusions will be eye visible. To some extent the issue of inclusions isn’t about perception but more about your own mind and what feels OK to you. But this one seems worth seeing in person.

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
I also like the first one tyty found. I doubt those inclusions will be eye visible. To some extent the issue of inclusions isn’t about perception but more about your own mind and what feels OK to you. But this one seems worth seeing in person.

Yes I agree! I am probably going with that one!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI everyone!!
My take: the term "crushed ice"...while illustrative in a manner of speaking is not gemological. And more....really hard to define.
Making matters more interesting is that the plots on lab reports aren't all that useful in most cases in determining how the actual cushion will look.
H&A is maybe an exception in that the plots pretty much look consistent.
But there are times a plot makes a stone look like it won't have the "crushed ice" effect, yet it does.
And vice versa......

Ditto @Rockdiamond ! I feel the same way. You cant depend on the "outline" of the stone to be what you expect.

That's why I kept asking for pictures.

Looks like the WF stone is no longer available.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old mine example
b0ba1576-c799-4aa7-b37f-6f32d61289f9.jpg

I like this facet pattern! Where did you find this?

Reactions: Ann

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
I spoke to Adiamor about the diamond tyty333 recommended and this woman said “I could do better” and that it was more round shaped so why didn’t I get around. I explained I wanted the cushion. I think setting will make it look more square so I am not so concerned. She sent me others that were smaller so I wasn’t interested. I also reached out to loose diamonds regarding the post of another picture of a diamond that also looked beautiful. They will call back and hopefully get me a video.
Only downside with Adiamor is you pay for return ship and insurance so I am trying to step back and look at a couple others but I still like that one as well! Thanks for all the help. I don’t think I could sort through all the duds myself to find my gem :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lostdiamondsad You should have asked her what she meant by "better". Better is subjective. SA needs to be specific about
what "better" is.

You need to find out specifics like...(in what way does she think you can do better?)
Does the stone you're interested in have...
- blue nuance
-graining
-bad or mushy light return (subjective but hopefully they can point out any leakage).
-a small LxW for its carat weight
-a table that's too big
-a high cost for what you're getting

It is good that she sent you additional stones...but tell her you want bigger (in your budget) and see what she finds. I
mean she said you can do better but didn't come up with anything "better" from your point of view.

To be honest, its hit or miss with Sales Associates. Pricescopers tend to know more about diamonds than SAs. A lot of
SAs only look at the 4 Cs and know very little about light return and specific faceting patterns. You'll be lucky if you find
one that does. Specific questions/answers will help you figure out what they know/dont know.

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
@lostdiamondsad You should have asked her what she meant by "better". Better is subjective. SA needs to be specific about
what "better" is.

You need to find out specifics like...(in what way does she think you can do better?)
Does the stone you're interested in have...
- blue nuance
-graining
-bad or mushy light return (subjective but hopefully they can point out any leakage).
-a small LxW for its carat weight
-a table that's too big
-a high cost for what you're getting

It is good that she sent you additional stones...but tell her you want bigger (in your budget) and see what she finds. I
mean she said you can do better but didn't come up with anything "better" from your point of view.

To be honest, its hit or miss with Sales Associates. Pricescopers tend to know more about diamonds than SAs. A lot of
SAs only look at the 4 Cs and know very little about light return and specific faceting patterns. You'll be lucky if you find
one that does. Specific questions/answers will help you figure out what they know/dont know.

I could not agree with you more!! I always feel like I know more than them after my reading and I trust the pricescopers way more than the sales people as they are unbiased, looking out for your best interest and knowledgeable because
They are interested in it! She mainly focussed on its shape being more like a round and said something about l/w ratio I think . Also the stones she sent were priced about the same ( a little more) than the one I was interested in so I think she was focussed on price. I told her the ones she sent were smaller and that I was looking for 9mm ish and maybe would go to a G color . But she didn’t send more… I think I’m going with the one you found and will bite the bullet if I need to return. It’s the best option. And a four prong can square it out :)
I really appreciated the all the help!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I dont mean to dis all Sales Associates. Some SAs are GIA gemologist trained. Usually ones that work for Super Ideal
vendors so they're not all bad!

@lostdiamondsad...I think its a matter of finding the faceting pattern you like. You could receive this one and decide you want
more smaller flashes. Unfortunately, there is no one place you can go to see how they all work/reflect light/sparkle.

Make sure you check out the many videos on youtube about cushion cut stones.

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I dont mean to dis all Sales Associates. Some SAs are GIA gemologist trained. Usually ones that work for Super Ideal

@lostdiamondsad...I think its a matter of finding the faceting pattern you like. You could receive this one and decide you want
more smaller flashes. Unfortunately, there is no one place you can go to see how they all work/reflect light/sparkle.

Thanks for the advice and I asked her for more pictures of other stones and no response. What do you mean by work with super ideals? I guess vendors that say they sell those? I’m liking the one you originally chose and going with it I think. I will watch some more videos on cushions first! Thanks!!

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock

Do you mind telling me what you think of this one, compared to the F VS2 you posted for me earlier? This one is a G but VS1. Better clarity not better color. Seems to have similar faceting. As I said I don’t care if the F is a VS2 as long as it is truly clean to naked eye. From a reasonable distance.

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
Yes I agree! I am probably going with that one!
Help help! I finally decided to go with the cushion tyty333 recommended ! It was perfect and now it’s unavailable ! It someone can help to find something similar to what she posted (f, vs2, 9mm, lab cushion, I would so appreciate it! It was working budget 2k and looking like a hearts and arrows not crushed ice (which I don’t like)! I’m sorry I didn’t act sooner! Lesson learned!!

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock
Help help! I finally decided to go with the cushion tyty333 recommended ! It was perfect and now it’s unavailable ! It someone can help to find something similar to what she posted (f, vs2, 9mm, lab cushion, I would so appreciate it! It was working budget 2k and looking like a hearts and arrows not crushed ice (which I don’t like)! I’m sorry I didn’t act sooner! Lesson learned!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results