shape
carat
color
clarity

Fanta 、Mandarin and Spessartine

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Pure spessartine garnet may not be found in nature. Usually, what we call spessartine is a mixture of spessartine and almandine. The higher the proportion of almandine, the more reddish the color

Fanta garnet and Mandarin garnet are famous spessartine ,Fanta garnet is yellowish orange, and Mandarin garnet is reddish orange.
Fanta and Mandarin are only the names of certain specific colors in spessartine garnets. Most spessartine garnets cannot be called Fanta or Mandarin. Only bright and no dark tone spessartine can be called Fanta or Mandarin

Fanta garnet samples 10ct+, with bright yellowish orange color
DSC_6247.jpgDSC_6249.jpgDSC_6258.jpgDSC_6253.jpg

Fanta garnet sample 4ct+, with bright yellowish orange color
c.jpg
DSC_9361.jpg

Mandarin garnet sample 30ct+,bright reddish orange color
5.jpgDSC_4514.jpg6.jpg

Spessartine sample 6ct+ yellowish orange color but dark tone.It can't be seem as Fanta garnet

DSC_4553.jpg

Comparison of samples
Through the comparison of samples, we can easily distinguish Fanta 、Mandarin and Spessartine
2.jpg

You're talking my language, lol! My very favorite family of stones, just love them! Here are a few of mine, Namibian, Loliondo and Nigerian. They are slightly less red and slightly more orange IRL.

Spess Family.jpeg

Beautiful beautiful stones ❤️
I dream of owning my very own perfect bright yellowish-orange garnet!

I tend to favor the ones with a touch of yellow more than the deeper colored ones.

I want one of these one day to replace the lab orange saphire ring i brought in Tinky's memory (that i fear is lost)

I had never heard of garnets in any colour but red till i started hanging out with you good peeps
I love the green ones but i think the orange are my favourite
i really love orange ('70's child)

I like posts like this, sometime you really don't understand what is meant by the color description provided by the sellers.

Because gems have different colors under various lights, the best way is to compare gems of various colors together to easily see the difference

Beautiful beautiful stones ❤️
I dream of owning my very own perfect bright yellowish-orange garnet!

I tend to favor the ones with a touch of yellow more than the deeper colored ones.
Garnet has a high refractive index, but most of them has a dark tone. Some bright garnets are very beautiful, and Fanta without dark tones is also very beautiful garnets

How do you folks get them to show up so well in photos?

The camera seems to add 10 lbs of meh to my Spess whenever I try and take photos.

SLR camera, tripod, wireless shutter

I want one of these one day to replace the lab orange saphire ring i brought in Tinky's memory (that i fear is lost)

I had never heard of garnets in any colour but red till i started hanging out with you good peeps
I love the green ones but i think the orange are my favourite
i really love orange ('70's child)

Garnets are a large family, with various colors, and of course there are also green garnets, such as demantoid, tsavorite, and mali garnet. I will also post garnets of various colors in the future

Funny, I LOVE spessartine, but I don't care for the color orange. Go figure.

SLR camera, tripod, wireless shutter

Ah - I was thinking color wise - the orange never reads true for me and needs lots of post processing to look true to life.

@landscape thank you so much for the education. Very informative and great looking at all those beautiful examples.

As I understand your terminology, light orange garnets with a yellow modifier are described as fanta spess, whereas light orange garnets with a red modifier are described as mandarin spess. Are these color designations generally accepted in the trade?

My wife and I were looking at this spess recently

5.92ct Spess Pear 1 (2).jpg

I'm thinking maybe too dark to be called mandarin, particularly towards the point? Pears are my wife's favorite shape, I know pear shaped blue sapphires often have dark points, do pear shaped spess have the same issue?

I’ve set into a ring an included but highly crystalline spessartine and arrived in time for Christmas. :) IRL, you hardly see the inclusions and I thought the color is lovely to be made into jewelry. The halo is made with Russian demantoids, colorless and yellow diamonds.

Attachments

• 18A4E680-2A69-4C24-B352-8C4E5219653B.jpeg
    18A4E680-2A69-4C24-B352-8C4E5219653B.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 108
  • A74E596C-F865-479E-9AEF-10E6E7DA2508.jpeg
    A74E596C-F865-479E-9AEF-10E6E7DA2508.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DB371B95-EADE-47DA-8F2A-81D3E5DBF834.jpeg
    DB371B95-EADE-47DA-8F2A-81D3E5DBF834.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 128
@landscape thank you so much for the education. Very informative and great looking at all those beautiful examples.

As I understand your terminology, light orange garnets with a yellow modifier are described as fanta spess, whereas light orange garnets with a red modifier are described as mandarin spess. Are these color designations generally accepted in the trade?

My wife and I were looking at this spess recently

5.92ct Spess Pear 1 (2).jpg

I'm thinking maybe too dark to be called mandarin, particularly towards the point? Pears are my wife's favorite shape, I know pear shaped blue sapphires often have dark points, do pear shaped spess have the same issue?

fanta spess or mandarin spess not light orange. It's strong orange but no dark tone.
This pear strong orange but with dark tone.I think this not fanta spess or mandarin spess

Here’s my mandarin spess! The seller took better pictures than me so just screenshotting from there 7789E5E4-2334-4967-8CE7-18BC7D07103C.png

Attachments

• AE60112D-761D-4675-B27E-6EFA9F3BBAE6.png
    AE60112D-761D-4675-B27E-6EFA9F3BBAE6.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 24
Very educational! Thanks for posting. Loving the beautiful pics of the stunning gemstones in this thread

Pure spessartine garnet may not be found in nature. Usually, what we call spessartine is a mixture of spessartine and almandine. The higher the proportion of almandine, the more reddish the color

Fanta garnet and Mandarin garnet are famous spessartine ,Fanta garnet is yellowish orange, and Mandarin garnet is reddish orange.
Fanta and Mandarin are only the names of certain specific colors in spessartine garnets. Most spessartine garnets cannot be called Fanta or Mandarin. Only bright and no dark tone spessartine can be called Fanta or Mandarin

c.jpg
DSC_9361.jpg

5.jpgDSC_4514.jpg6.jpg

Spessartine sample 6ct+ yellowish orange color but dark tone.It can't be seem as Fanta garnet

DSC_4553.jpg

Comparison of samples
Through the comparison of samples, we can easily distinguish Fanta 、Mandarin and Spessartine
2.jpg
Are these from your collection..? Or are they vendor photos of available stones..? Im interested in some of these :)

You're talking my language, lol! My very favorite family of stones, just love them! Here are a few of mine, Namibian, Loliondo and Nigerian. They are slightly less red and slightly more orange IRL.

Spess Family.jpeg

Which stones are from Namibia/Nigeria/Tanzania? They’re all fluorescent bright!!

Are these from your collection..? Or are they vendor photos of available stones..? Im interested in some of these :)

All the stones are my own, and the photos are also taken by myself. They are in my private collection and not for sale.

I love garnets! What an amazing family of stones, with such diversity of colors. Even the inclusions are interesting.

c.jpg
DSC_9361.jpg

5.jpgDSC_4514.jpg6.jpg

DSC_4553.jpg

Comparison of samples
2.jpg

hi Landscape, would you accept a fanta if it has bright yellow orange colour but a lot of inclusions? I'm looking for a 5ct fanta but all the neon ones i've seen have loads of inclusions

hi Landscape, would you accept a fanta if it has bright yellow orange colour but a lot of inclusions? I'm looking for a 5ct fanta but all the neon ones i've seen have loads of inclusions
Light-colored inclusions can give spessartite a neon feel. If this Fanta stone is used for inlays, a small number of inclusions are not easy to detect during social distancing and are acceptable. Of course, the price must be reasonable. . If the Fanta stone is used as a collectible gemstone, the clarity requirements will be higher, because it is observed from a very close distance, and too obvious inclusions are unacceptable

Thank goodness I don’t like orange or I would need another gemstone! I also thought I didn’t like green though and I ended up with a gorgeous Merelani mint garnet that I love.

Thank goodness I don’t like orange or I would need another gemstone! I also thought I didn’t like green though and I ended up with a gorgeous Merelani mint garnet that I love.

I thought I didn’t like orange too! Then one day at a gem fair I saw a bright neon orange stone and it just sang to me. But it had lots of inclusions so now I’m wondering whether to get it

Light-colored inclusions can give spessartite a neon feel. If this Fanta stone is used for inlays, a small number of inclusions are not easy to detect during social distancing and are acceptable. Of course, the price must be reasonable. . If the Fanta stone is used as a collectible gemstone, the clarity requirements will be higher, because it is observed from a very close distance, and too obvious inclusions are unacceptable

Thanks landscape ☺️

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics