shape
carat
color
clarity

Fanta 、Mandarin and Spessartine

But it had lots of inclusions so now I’m wondering whether to get it
What kind?
The sugar sprinkles kind or feathers (is it the liquid bearing kind that have the rainbow effect?) , or something else?

@landscape, I would appreciate your advice on this.

1. Can a spess be red? And if it were red, could it be vivid neon like the orange spess?

2. Also, could this type of red spess turn brownish in yellow light? Actually, I don't really know what yellow light is.

The problem I have is the light in the UK is very unforgiving.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Comparison of samples
Through the comparison of samples, we can easily distinguish Fanta 、Mandarin and Spessartine
2.jpg

@landscape , so like that big one right in the middle, is it orange or red?

Is it always neon ?

I am dithering on a purchase because garnets are hard to buy. I really want a good red one and the bigger it is, the uglier it will be if I get it wrong. Add the UK grey light into the matrix, I am always chickening out of buying it.

@landscape, I would appreciate your advice on this.

1. Can a spess be red? And if it were red, could it be vivid neon like the orange spess?

2. Also, could this type of red spess turn brownish in yellow light? Actually, I don't really know what yellow light is.

The problem I have is the light in the UK is very unforgiving.

Thank you so much.

1. Some spessartine are reddish in color and some are yellowish, but the main color is orange. This 30+ carat spessartine is orange with a reddish hue. This reddish hue spessartine is very bright

DSC_4514a.jpgDSC_4520a.jpg

2、Whether spessartine looks neon depends on whether the dark area is very dark (this is related to the element content of the gemstone), usually the dark area is light in color and looks neon.
The spessartine garnet I circled in green on the picture will be neon, the others will not
DSC_4559a1.jpg

Is it always neon ?

I am dithering on a purchase because garnets are hard to buy. I really want a good red one and the bigger it is, the uglier it will be if I get it wrong. Add the UK grey light into the matrix, I am always chickening out of buying it.

Any gemstone needs to be viewed in natural light, and the color is based on the color in natural light. Need to focus on the darkest part, if the darkest part is very dark, this spessartite has no neon, it will be very dependent on the intensity of the light and the angle of incidence.

I thought I didn’t like orange too! Then one day at a gem fair I saw a bright neon orange stone and it just sang to me. But it had lots of inclusions so now I’m wondering whether to get it

There are mandarin spessartite with good clarity, and you will find them when you look for them patiently.

Thank you so much for your advice.

There are mandarin spessartite with good clarity, and you will find them when you look for them patiently.

Yes I’ll do that, thanks landscape! Love your photos of merelani mint garnets too
Merelani and Fanta are on my mind these days

Is it always neon ?

A dealer on IG was recommending this to me but I’m not keen because I want a more Fanta orange colour

He’s maahe_gems and here’s a pic of the reddish spessB3AD5D90-F606-4B57-9A6E-34451273719C.png

What kind?
The sugar sprinkles kind or feathers (is it the liquid bearing kind that have the rainbow effect?) , or something else?
I forgot to take a pic and now I can’t remember
But I do remember that it is very neon because I walked by the display case and did a double take. Before seeing that orange stone I had never liked orange, but amongst all the nice stones in the display case, that one orange stone sang to me

A dealer on IG was recommending this to me but I’m not keen because I want a more Fanta orange colour

He’s maahe_gems and here’s a pic of the reddish spessB3AD5D90-F606-4B57-9A6E-34451273719C.png
I think this spessartite is not bright enough, the color of this one is similar to the one I circled in green
捕获11a.jpg
DSC_4553a.jpgDSC_4554.jpg
DSC_4559aa.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice on the pic~I am also purchasing one to set in a pendant. Hope it doesn’t disappoint:)

Please show the photo after you have set it!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics