shape
carat
color
clarity

Figuring out Length

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Hello Pearl friends! This is a strand from 25+ years ago given to me I think from an old boyfriend. Sssshhh don't tell DH that I didn't part ways with some of the items of the past. I've never really worn it but perhaps a few times a year but since finding the specific pearl forum and stepping away from diamonds, it's definitely stirring up more interest. When I measure it from end to end, including the clasp, it is about 18 inches long.

If I wanted a shorter look but for comfy wearing where it isn't a choker, what length would you suggest (think I see people going for 16 inches or 17 inches? However, I'm not sure how you consider the length if the pearls are larger in circumference?

@Pomelo - hope you don't mind me asking but how did you pick the length of your first strand? I know you have the advantage of trying it out in person too. I was noticing that it looked tighter/shorter on your husband than your own neck. So I guess neck size/trapes play a part in it?

Also, if you had to guess the mm size of the pearl so I have a reference point for future shopping, what would you guess this to be?

Thanks in advance for the guidance again!

Capture.PNG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello Pearl friends! This is a strand from 25+ years ago given to me I think from an old boyfriend. Sssshhh don't tell DH that I didn't part ways with some of the items of the past. I've never really worn it but perhaps a few times a year but since finding the specific pearl forum and stepping away from diamonds, it's definitely stirring up more interest. When I measure it from end to end, including the clasp, it is about 18 inches long.

If I wanted a shorter look but for comfy wearing where it isn't a choker, what length would you suggest (think I see people going for 16 inches or 17 inches? However, I'm not sure how you consider the length if the pearls are larger in circumference?

@Pomelo - hope you don't mind me asking but how did you pick the length of your first strand? I know you have the advantage of trying it out in person too. I was noticing that it looked tighter/shorter on your husband than your own neck. So I guess neck size/trapes play a part in it?

Also, if you had to guess the mm size of the pearl so I have a reference point for future shopping, what would you guess this to be?

Capture.PNG

good job turfing the BF but keeping the pearls
silk does stretch over time and a newly strung necklace will loosen up after a few days wear
we need to see this Ex BF piece ?

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
good job turfing the BF but keeping the pearls
silk does stretch over time and a newly strung necklace will loosen up after a few days wear
we need to see this Ex BF piece ?

ah.. I can't tell what it is strung with but measuring it current day it is 18 inches. I hope the photo is showing as I can see it online below my message.
Any thoughts on what the size of the pearl is and whether 16 vs 17 inches might be better for me?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do 16 inches unless you want it to wear it with a jewel neckline. For other necklines that would probably be too short.

Pearls are measured perpendicular to the drill hole. But since your pearls are taller than they are wide, I'd say the more relevant measure in shopping for future pearls is their width along the drill hole. That should not be hard to calculate.

How many pearls are there in the necklace? And how wide is the clasp? A photo of the necklace laid out, or doubled (so we can see the clasp) would help. Then I can tell you their likely width, after factoring in the width of the knots and how many knots there are.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do 16 inches unless you want it to wear it with a jewel neckline. For other necklines that would probably be too short.

Pearls are measured perpendicular to the drill hole. But since your pearls are taller than they are wide, I'd say the more relevant measure in shopping for future pearls is their width along the drill hole. That should not be hard to calculate.

How many pearls are there in the necklace? And how wide is the clasp? A photo of the necklace laid out, or doubled (so we can see the clasp) would help. Then I can tell you their likely width, after factoring in the width of the knots and how many knots there are.

just while we are on the basics
so i have a bead board
but i have no idea how to read or drive it

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your bead board is like the ones I have, there are grooves where you lay the pearls, and numbers alongside the grooves that indicate length. If it's a curved groove you place the center of the strand in the center of the groove.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your bead board is like the ones I have, there are grooves where you lay the pearls, and numbers alongside the grooves that indicate length. If it's a curved groove you place the center of the strand in the center of the groove.

yes, thats it, but which row do i use ?? all i do know is just lay a necklace with a lentgh i like on the board and then match up the new one to that (allowing a wee bit for knots) but i feel im missing something ?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock

Capture.PNG

Hello! Ooh such a fascinating back story haha!

In terms of length, I just measured - it’s 39cm/15.5in of pearls with 2+2cm of clasp for a length of 41/43cm. I really like the clasp because (1) it’s a simple way of extending the necklace by 2cm (nearly 1 inch), and (2) it’s easy to put on. Also, the large clasp means I can actually shorten the necklace further by clasping in between pearls but I’m worried this will rub off some of the nacre.

The neck of the wearer definitely matters - it’s more choker length on both my husband and my brother.

Another thing is, I think that even for necklaces of the same length, if the pearls are larger it comes up shorter on the neck as they take up for visual space.

Edit: tagging @RosieR as we were discussing the clasp separately :)

IMG_9491.jpeg
IMG_9490.jpeg

Last edited:

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
@pearlsngems - Well I'm trying to figure out all sorts of things. I've actually never heard of "jewel neckline" before but I think after looking at google images, I am assuming a high neck line that is rounded. I'm not quite sure how to best wear the future purchase of a necklace but it seems like @Pomelo necklace seems to be very versatile especially with the extra length for the clasp.

Gosh you have a very detailed eye... I didn't even realize that the pearls were taller than they were wide. I guess after seeing all the pictures on PS, I've seen more strung the other direction (wider than tall, which I guess makes it less expensive when you are going with high end pearls. Anyhow, I counted 65 pearls/beads and the clasp was somewhere between 0.25 to 0.50 inches.

I've been in touch with Pearls of Paradise just to see what it might cost to put together a strand but so far I've only said to shoot for 17 inches and am not sure what other factors to share. Or perhaps I'm covered if there is a separate clasp!

20240508_164516.jpg

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Hello! Ooh such a fascinating back story haha!

In terms of length, I just measured - it’s 39cm/15.5in of pearls with 2+2cm of clasp for a length of 41/43cm. I really like the clasp because (1) it’s a simple way of extending the necklace by 2cm (nearly 1 inch), and (2) it’s easy to put on. Also, the large clasp means I can actually shorten the necklace further by clasping in between pearls but I’m worried this will rub off some of the nacre.

The neck of the wearer definitely matters - it’s more choker length on both my husband and my brother.

Another thing is, I think that even for necklaces of the same length, if the pearls are larger it comes up shorter on the neck as they take up for visual space.

Edit: tagging @RosieR as we were discussing the clasp separately :)

Glad no one else thinks it is shameful to hold onto jewelry from past guys... anyhow, thank you so much for going in depth about your own necklace.

What an ingenious idea regarding the clasp! Did you get it from the same vendor or did you purchase it separately if you don't mind me asking? The clasp looks super fancy and too bad it's something that isn't easily seen. Agree that the metal rub might cause damage but hopefully someone can chime in on that one. I think I remember someone commenting about stacking pearl bracelets and even nacre to nacre, there was a little bit of a change.

Appreciate you confirming that the larger pearls take up visual space. I was having a hard time asking that question but it makes sense! Thank you thank you! I wish there was some local stores to try on but it just doesn't seem that pearls are very popular.

I'll keep learning and putting all this information in my back pocket. Still haven't made the leap yet! Have a great rest of the week.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ExplorePS,
Based on your necklace being 18 inches, I calculate your pearls as approximately 7mm. (65 pearls plus the clasp that is just a bit longer than one pearl, plus 64 knots which are each about 0.3m wide, and then converting from mm to inches.)

This rough drawing of 2 pearl necklaces (or bracelets) of the same length may help you understand why larger pearls fit more snugly than smaller pearls.
why larger pearls fit more snugly.jpeg

The blue circle represents the thread running through the drill holes. It is the same in both drawings. (The length of a pearl necklace or bracelet is actually the length of the thread plus the clasp.)

The red circle shows the space that is available for the neck (or wrist, for a bracelet).

Because the larger pearls protrude farther inward from the thread, they leave less room for your neck or wrist. They fit more snugly.
An 18" necklace of large pearls will appear shorter on your neck than an 18" necklace of small pearls.

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Glad no one else thinks it is shameful to hold onto jewelry from past guys... anyhow, thank you so much for going in depth about your own necklace.

What an ingenious idea regarding the clasp! Did you get it from the same vendor or did you purchase it separately if you don't mind me asking? The clasp looks super fancy and too bad it's something that isn't easily seen. Agree that the metal rub might cause damage but hopefully someone can chime in on that one. I think I remember someone commenting about stacking pearl bracelets and even nacre to nacre, there was a little bit of a change.

Appreciate you confirming that the larger pearls take up visual space. I was having a hard time asking that question but it makes sense! Thank you thank you! I wish there was some local stores to try on but it just doesn't seem that pearls are very popular.

I'll keep learning and putting all this information in my back pocket. Still haven't made the leap yet! Have a great rest of the week.

Thanks, the necklace actually came with the clasp (it’s sterling silver with what I presume are CZs). I didn’t really like the idea of sterling silver at first but I’m really enjoying the ease and versatility of the clasp, and with surging gold prices I’m not too keen on recreating it in WG/plat - not gonna fix what’s not broken =)2

I do feel like it’s worth trying some on, maybe you can order from somewhere with a good returns policy? I always have a hard time visualising what looks good on me… I had never intended to get mid-sized baroque Tahitians (thought I wanted chunky white Edisons) but I couldn’t get the Tahitians out of my head after trying them on!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
@ExplorePS,
Based on your necklace being 18 inches, I calculate your pearls as approximately 7mm. (65 pearls plus the clasp that is just a bit longer than one pearl, plus 64 knots which are each about 0.3m wide, and then converting from mm to inches.)

This rough drawing of 2 pearl necklaces (or bracelets) of the same length may help you understand why larger pearls fit more snugly than smaller pearls.
why larger pearls fit more snugly.jpeg

The blue circle represents the thread running through the drill holes. It is the same in both drawings. (The length of a pearl necklace or bracelet is actually the length of the thread plus the clasp.)

The red circle shows the space that is available for the neck (or wrist, for a bracelet).

Because the larger pearls protrude farther inward from the thread, they leave less room for your neck or wrist. They fit more snugly.
An 18" necklace of large pearls will appear shorter on your neck than an 18" necklace of small pearls.

Wow this drawing was an optical illusion that I had to look at several times as my eyes kept being fooled that the blue circle was the same in both drawings. 100% understanding on why larger pearls appear shorter!

Appreciate you helping me understand how you derived at the calculation of the pearl sizes. At least I have a reference point now when talking to vendors. Definitely interested in something much larger than 7 mm and shorter in length to try and achieve a different look!

Thank you thank you again for teaching me and your assistance! You are so kind!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Thanks, the necklace actually came with the clasp (it’s sterling silver with what I presume are CZs). I didn’t really like the idea of sterling silver at first but I’m really enjoying the ease and versatility of the clasp, and with surging gold prices I’m not too keen on recreating it in WG/plat - not gonna fix what’s not broken =)2

I do feel like it’s worth trying some on, maybe you can order from somewhere with a good returns policy? I always have a hard time visualising what looks good on me… I had never intended to get mid-sized baroque Tahitians (thought I wanted chunky white Edisons) but I couldn’t get the Tahitians out of my head after trying them on!

Makes sense on keeping the clasp as is and maybe if you start your own pearl necklace collection, then at that time invest in a clasp made of finer metal to interchange them?

Yes, I remember your thread and appreciate you sharing the internal debate on what to settle on. You can't go wrong with Tahitians for that "edgy" look with black apparel. Appreciate you being an inspiration to me! Maybe I'll get there one day...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this drawing was an optical illusion that I had to look at several times as my eyes kept being fooled that the blue circle was the same in both drawings. 100% understanding on why larger pearls appear shorter!

Appreciate you helping me understand how you derived at the calculation of the pearl sizes. At least I have a reference point now when talking to vendors. Definitely interested in something much larger than 7 mm and shorter in length to try and achieve a different look!

Thank you thank you again for teaching me and your assistance! You are so kind!

Because you are planning to look for larger pearl necklaces, I now want to explain how to understand the size of a pearl when all you know is the millimeters (diameter). It's not as intuitive as you might think. Not understanding this concept could make you order pearls that are a much diferent size than you intended to get.

For example, would you think a 9mm pearl is twice as large as a 7mm pearl? Yet that is true. (And it weighs twice as much-- and that affects its price!)

How can this be? It's because pearls are 3-dimensional spheres-- not 2-dimensional flat circles as they appear in a photo. In other words, they are round, like marbles.

If you say you have a 7mm pearl, you are talking about its diameter. The diameter -- the measurement at its widest point-- is 7mm. That's the length of the drill hole.
But the diameter of a pearl only gives us part of the picture. The real measure of a pearl's size is its volume. In other words, how much space it takes up. How big that marble is.

This can be calculated mathematically using the equation for the volume of a sphere. Then it's just a matter of comparing the volume of one pearl with the volume of another pearl to know how much larger or smaller one pearl is compared to another.

Here's a link to where I wrote about this on Pricescope in 2021. See this post and the one after it. I did the math so you don't have to. =)2

I posted about this on the other pearl forum back in December 2013 and Jeremy then posted it on his blog, here:

His photo showing a 6mm pearl next to a 12 mm pearl says it all! The 12mm pearl is obviously not twice the size of the 6mm pearl!
In fact, it's 8 times as large.
See:
The volume of a 12 mm pearl is 904 cubic mm.
The volume of a 6mm pearl is 113 cubic mm.
904 = 8 x 113. Eight times as large!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Because you are planning to look for larger pearl necklaces, I now want to explain how to understand the size of a pearl when all you know is the millimeters (diameter). It's not as intuitive as you might think. Not understanding this concept could make you order pearls that are a much diferent size than you intended to get.

For example, would you think a 9mm pearl is twice as large as a 7mm pearl? Yet that is true. (And it weighs twice as much-- and that affects its price!)

How can this be? It's because pearls are 3-dimensional spheres-- not 2-dimensional flat circles as they appear in a photo. In other words, they are round, like marbles.

If you say you have a 7mm pearl, you are talking about its diameter. The diameter -- the measurement at its widest point-- is 7mm. That's the length of the drill hole.
But the diameter of a pearl only gives us part of the picture. The real measure of a pearl's size is its volume. In other words, how much space it takes up. How big that marble is.

This can be calculated mathematically using the equation for the volume of a sphere. Then it's just a matter of comparing the volume of one pearl with the volume of another pearl to know how much larger or smaller one pearl is compared to another.

Here's a link to where I wrote about this on Pricescope in 2021. See this post and the one after it. I did the math so you don't have to. =)2

I posted about this on the other pearl forum back in December 2013 and Jeremy then posted it on his blog, here:

His photo showing a 6mm pearl next to a 12 mm pearl says it all! The 12mm pearl is obviously not twice the size of the 6mm pearl!
In fact, it's 8 times as large.
See:
The volume of a 12 mm pearl is 904 cubic mm.
The volume of a 6mm pearl is 113 cubic mm.
904 = 8 x 113. Eight times as large!

Thank you thank you!! Appreciate the in-depth step by step analysis. You need to set up your own pearl business, my nacre friend! : ) I saved the calculation from your post for future reference. When I just look at the numbers, since you estimated that my current one is 7 mm, I think a good starting point might be 9 mm (twice as larger as the 7 mm) as that would enough of a visual change for me to create a different look.

Thinking out loud:
I'm trying to grasp the concept that volume impacts sizing different and solely think about the numbers. Going back to Pomelo's lovely necklace, she shared that her graduated necklace had sizes between 12.9mm to 8.8mm. If I'm just visualizing in my head using my own 7 mm necklace, I would have said that might be too bold of a look for me to transition to with the 12.9 mm if my comfort zone might be closer to 9 mm. However, when I'm looking at her gorgeous photos, it looks like an easy and standard size to wear! So maybe I shouldn't be afraid to go 9 mm and above.

Question - maybe it's the uniqueness of graduated necklaces? It looks like most strands have the larger mm size at the front. So using Pomelo's as an example (sorry girl I hope you don't mind being my role model/inspiration...), I guess it might be 8.8 mm closer to the neck and then 1/2 the strand near the front would be 12.9 mm. So perhaps it's easier to integrate larger mm sizes if it's part of the strand and creates an illusion?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you thank you!! Appreciate the in-depth step by step analysis. You need to set up your own pearl business, my nacre friend! : ) I saved the calculation from your post for future reference. When I just look at the numbers, since you estimated that my current one is 7 mm, I think a good starting point might be 9 mm (twice as larger as the 7 mm) as that would enough of a visual change for me to create a different look.

Thinking out loud:
I'm trying to grasp the concept that volume impacts sizing different and solely think about the numbers. Going back to Pomelo's lovely necklace, she shared that her graduated necklace had sizes between 12.9mm to 8.8mm. If I'm just visualizing in my head using my own 7 mm necklace, I would have said that might be too bold of a look for me to transition to with the 12.9 mm if my comfort zone might be closer to 9 mm. However, when I'm looking at her gorgeous photos, it looks like an easy and standard size to wear! So maybe I shouldn't be afraid to go 9 mm and above.

Question - maybe it's the uniqueness of graduated necklaces? It looks like most strands have the larger mm size at the front. So using Pomelo's as an example (sorry girl I hope you don't mind being my role model/inspiration...), I guess it might be 8.8 mm closer to the neck and then 1/2 the strand near the front would be 12.9 mm. So perhaps it's easier to integrate larger mm sizes if it's part of the strand and creates an illusion?

Sorry I need to make a correction on my post as I measured pearls the wrong way haha (measured them along the drill hole when it should be perpendicular). It’s 8.4-11.0mm, not 8.8-12.9mm!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Sorry I need to make a correction on my post as I measured pearls the wrong way haha (measured them along the drill hole when it should be perpendicular). It’s 8.4-11.0mm, not 8.8-12.9mm!

Thanks for taking the time to remeasure and share! The 8.4 to 11 mm size looks great on you, hence my reference to your lovely strand.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elongated pearls drilled the long way, like Pomelo's -- ovals, drops etc-- are typically larger overall than round pearls of the same mm size (measured perpendicular to the drill hole). Unless they are long and skinny, of course, as some freshwater are.

It will take fewer elongated pearls to make up the 18" (or whatever length ) of a necklace than the same length of round pearls.

These are 9.5-10mm. I don't find them too large at all; it's a very comfortable size. 9.5-10.0mm baroque akoya s from PP.jpeg

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Elongated pearls drilled the long way, like Pomelo's -- ovals, drops etc-- are typically larger overall than round pearls of the same mm size (measured perpendicular to the drill hole). Unless they are long and skinny, of course, as some freshwater are.

It will take fewer elongated pearls to make up the 18" (or whatever length ) of a necklace than the same length of round pearls.

These are 9.5-10mm. I don't find them too large at all; it's a very comfortable size. 9.5-10.0mm baroque akoya s from PP.jpeg

Appreciate the photo! The size indeed looks so lovely on you. Very graceful as a statement piece but not too overpowering that I can see it being worn with all wardrobe options. Very stunning!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read all the posts in detail, just wanted to throw in an idea of having a basket clasp so that the length of the necklace can be variable.

I have that for my 8-9mm strand, with a 2in section to allow me to wear the necklace from 18in to 20in.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results