shape
carat
color
clarity

Find me a solitaire setting plz..... for a man.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450497076|3963372 said:
fyi: not sure it matters to you but I did not find this in the Men's Ring section; it popped up when I searched "Engagement Rings, Solitaire, round stone

lol.. it does not matter. I never buy any jewelry or bag from men's section anyways. i like this alot. But they only deal with members of the trade. I guess I need to find a jeweller who have access to their products??

Yes, just like Stuller and Adwar, USNY is not available to consumers, so you have to go with your local jeweler or preferably through your diamond vendor - the best/easiest is to have your diamond vendor set your diamond in your setting (which 95% of the time means no additional setting fee and also your diamond is covered/insured by the vendor during the setting process) - most diamond vendors are amenable to ordering a setting from Stuller/Adwar/USNY.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450540411|3963506 said:
Asscherhalo_lover

The more I look at these, the more I like the simplicity.
Is a tension set equally reliable and secure as a bezel or prong setting? From what I see, the stone is held by the pressure applied from two sides. I assume there is a small "slit" on either side where the girdle can sit. What happen if you accidently "stretch" the ring"? And I am also concerned about the ring being accidently squeeze, applying excess pressure on the stone....

Yes, Love it!

img_10147.jpg

img_10148.jpg

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Flying, here are a few pics while doing a search. You might want to email MichaelE for a quote on custom, he's reasonable.

7fadbfee-1030-417b-adff-462f45546ab8.jpg

46bfe2fc-87df-4c5b-95f1-745ef3f8af5b.jpg

e7635f41-2560-4475-aa0f-cdcca532e9d2.jpg

1553e700-7bce-47b6-b024-e1841aa89182.jpg

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last 2 pics

983f1c08-5391-4c6a-b647-0b8db0adc513.jpg

7f4dd0ad-5ca0-4193-8131-a11e449293d5.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450540411|3963506 said:
Is a tension set equally reliable and secure as a bezel or prong setting? From what I see, the stone is held by the pressure applied from two sides. I assume there is a small "slit" on either side where the girdle can sit. What happen if you accidently "stretch" the ring"? And I am also concerned about the ring being accidently squeeze, applying excess pressure on the stone....

I've been reading PS for 10 years.
I've read threads of people sad because their diamond was lost from a prong setting.
They had no idea how/why/when it fell out.
They just looked down and the diamond was gone. ;(

Compared to a tension settings prongs are very thin and delicate.
Prongs often are pointed.
They can and do catch on things and bend away from the diamond.
Just putting a sweater on or putting a hand into a pocket could accidentally catch and bend a prong without your knowledge. :errrr:

Tension settings are thick and beefy.
The ones from competent makers are made of special alloys and with processes that makes them very strong.
If you did something violent enough to bend them you'd not only know it, you'd probably end up in the emergency room.

Look how little of the girdle is protected by prongs.
Now compare how much more of the girdle is protected by a tension setting.
No comparison.
IMO tension settings are safer than prongs.

Yes, there is a cut out in the metal that grips the diamond.
If your diamond is, say 4 mm in diameter you can tell bruce to make the ring 4.5 mm for additional protection.
If you prefer you can tell him to make it more narrow than the diamond's diameter for a more-visible diamond.
Every tension setting is custom made to the diamond being set.

Be sure to consult him regarding clarity considerations before selecting your diamond.
He won't set certain low-clarity diamonds if there are certain mechanical concerns such as certain feathers and (I think) twinning wisps? or knots? Ask him.

I believe only two natural stones are strong enough to withstand the high pressure a tension setting applies to the stone, diamond and sapphire.

I believe a full bezel would be even more protecting of the girdle than a tension setting.
But then you lose more of the diamond's face up size AND reduce the area where light can get in and out of the diamond.

Another benefit of the tension setting is the side view.
Usually when I see my diamond I did not flip my wrist up to get a perfect top-down view.
I usually see it off axis or from the side ... especially when driving and my hand is on the steering wheel.
Tons of light enters and exits even a well-cut diamond from the side/pavilion.
The tension setting lets you enjoy all of this without looking through bars, or the view being blocked by a bezel.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for inputs on material hardness, photos, vendors, and links.

Kenny. You answered all my questions on tension settings. Now I know why he suggests S1 or better for clarity on his website.
I am 70% leaning towards this option and waiting for a reply from Bruce.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1450589697|3963755 said:
Thanks everyone for inputs on material hardness, photos, vendors, and links.

Kenny. You answered all my questions on tension settings. Now I know why he suggests S1 or better for clarity on his website.
I am 70% leaning towards this option and waiting for a reply from Bruce.

Cool.

FWIW, I'd guess this the busiest (rather - the craziest) time of the year for him and all vendors, so maybe he won't respond as quickly as posters here report.

I also should add I didn't mean to state titanium will always darken.
Perhaps our experience was the result of work-related exposure to chemicals.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the setting for my solitaire diamond that my gifted to me when I was in my teens (now sold), and I liked the setting as it was quick masculine and suited my style then and now:

0_31.jpg

I like the two rings by Boone Rings, in Cobalt Chrome, in a chunkier version (one day, I hope to set a CS in one of these settings):

sculptedroundwplatinum.jpg
helixxlite.jpg

DK :))

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just gonna sit back, wait for bruce's reply, and look thru JA's diamond inventory.
JA is not offering IS images around this time anyways.

Yes, I am considering cobalt chrome as well. The metal is harder and whiter than titanium from the link diamondseeker provided.
Having that said,I do not mind titanium darkening over time. That's how it behaves.

Once I decides on the setting and JA starts offering IS images, I do another thread for a diamond.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. I hit a speed bump. Although I was looking forward to working with Bruce, I am now a bit discouraged because of the shipping cost and insurance, combined with FEDEX's terrible delivery service in my area.
USPS/Canada post is not an option.

by diamondseeker2006 » December 19th, 2015, 9:53 am
I think it may be possible for ID Jewelry to just take a man's wedding band with an raised edge or milgrain edge and set a diamond into it so that it flush with the surface of the ring. Ask them.

I will go with Plan B, and use my exisiting wedding band.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-5th-reincarnation.156876/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-5th-reincarnation.156876/[/URL]
In the above thread,does anyone know what's holding the diamond in place possibly??
There is no prong, tension, bezel or dome. There is no metal overlapping the crown/girdle.

I just want to know my mounting options before speaking to local jewellers.

Thank you.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I just realized it was mentioned as flush. I did not know what it meant...

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 3 weeks of researching and phone calls, I have found a goldsmith who quoted me $275 Canadian ($190 US) for a 14k gold flush or bezel setting with 5 gram of gold. That's the entire band, setting and labour for mounting a diamond, which I am to supply. I am think it is an amazing offer

Second option is that he also told me that he can add a 14k white gold bezel head to my existing band.
http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-rings/classic/platinum-4.0mm-traditional-slightly-curved-wedding-ring-item-1368
I did not ask for the price, because I was not too sure of platinum band + white gold bezel head combo. Is this commonly done? He said it is. In fact, he was not too comfortable dealing with platinum because of high melting point; honesty which I really appreciated.
If I go this route, the design I am thinking about is this..
http://nodeform.com/products/round-diamond-modern-low-profile-bezel-set-wedding-ring
Except, I will ask for a thinner and even lower profile bezel.

Do you have any other suggestion on a simple design/setting that can use 5~7g of gold???

Also, I am looking for a Ideal Cut 0.30~0.40c. The color range I am thinking is J to N. J and K are easy finds. Where do I find L,M,N, beside the PS search engine? the only vendors I see Solomon Brothers, IDJ, Ritani, USA Certed, and White Flash. My budget for the diamond is $500 USD. But I will consider upto $650 if it is a great deal. Strong to Very Strong Blue Fluor is preferred, but not required..

Thank you again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results