shape
carat
color
clarity

Flawed fancy intense vs pricey vivid?

CanaryCrazed

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'm new to PriceScope, and I came here to get some perspectives on two diamonds I'm considering for an engagement ring.
Here are the ring details:
  • 1.76ct Fancy Vivid Yellow VVS1 Oval, 9.02x6.22x4.08mm - $34,470
  • 2.61ct Fancy Intense Yellow SI2 Oval, 9.69x6.85x4.73mm - $18,904
I am under the impression that both of these stones are fairly priced (please let me know if you disagree!). I'm really torn between these two stones. I love the quality of the vivid, but am a bit afraid that vivids can look fake - and of course, the price is scary as well. For reference, our overall budget is $35k.

With the larger stone, I like the size especially size I have larger fingers (size 8) and the price - but I'm nervous that the quality would like to chipping on the edge.

Please let me know what you'd choose and why!

Attachments

• 1.76ct FVY VVS1.jpg
    1.76ct FVY VVS1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 2.61ct FIY SI2.jpg
    2.61ct FIY SI2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
I'm no expert but I found a 1.72ct SI1 fancy vivid for $28,220, just to throw something else in the mix that people who actually know things can maybe comment on: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di.../oval-cut/1.72-carat-si1-clarity-sku-20849178

It might not be eye-clean and it's a little shorter/chubbier than your FVY, I just thought the video looked like a pretty shade of yellow and it was significantly less expensive than the FVY you posted. Again, not an expert.

Have you decided on how you're setting this? Have you seen either of these diamonds in person? Are you working with a vendor or going at it alone? For this price point, I would personally want to work with a trusted vendor who would do some vetting for me.

I also wanted to link this website for size comparison for the two you found on a size 8 finger:

1725490927036.png

Thank you, newtojewels! I've seen the Diamond Database site before, but hadn't actually used it to compare two stones. This is super helpful. I'm surprised by how the 2.61 carat stone looks about the same size as the 1.76.

And thank you for finding the James Allen diamond. The hue is so pretty, but I struggle with the inclusions right in the center :cry2:

I'm no expert but I found a 1.72ct SI1 fancy vivid for $28,220, just to throw something else in the mix that people who actually know things can maybe comment on: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di.../oval-cut/1.72-carat-si1-clarity-sku-20849178

It might not be eye-clean and it's a little shorter/chubbier than your FVY, I just thought the video looked like a pretty shade of yellow and it was significantly less expensive than the FVY you posted. Again, not an expert.

Have you decided on how you're setting this? Have you seen either of these diamonds in person? Are you working with a vendor or going at it alone? For this price point, I would personally want to work with a trusted vendor who would do some vetting for me.

I also wanted to link this website for size comparison for the two you found on a size 8 finger:

1725490927036.png

@newtojewels it looks like the one you found is 25% off too!

@CanaryCrazed - have you tried on rings with yellow diamonds?

@caf , sadly I've only been able to try on one ring with a yellow intense stone. I haven't been able to find many in person. But I fell in love in the color

@caf , sadly I've only been able to try on one ring with a yellow intense stone. I haven't been able to find many in person. But I fell in love in the color
[/QUOTE

Look at this page of Leon Mege’s where he shows some fancy yellow diamonds.

Lauren B at https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/
Might also have some for you to consider.

You might consider a lab stone too to get exactly what you want. For a yellow stone I’d really want to see it in person before I committed. So make sure your vendor has a good return policy. Which means you’ll have to buy stone first.

Grace also has some https://jewelsbygrace.com/search?q=fancy+diamond&options[prefix]=last

If you’re near a bigger city - Tiffany’s and Harry Winston or a Saks or Neimans probably have some in stock. Just for you to see and get an idea of what you’d like.

Just some thoughts.

I messed up above. Just open the post and you’ll see what I wrote. Somehow it got embedded in your post.

As a colored-stones person, we choose for color. There are instances where a big, undersaturated, lighter-toned sapphire can be a knock-out with the right cut but in general the biggest lament has been not prioritizing color.

Between these two...and knowing nothing else but these photos and relative sizes...

Screen Shot 2024-09-04 at 6.37.06 PM.png

...I'd vote for the left one all day long. YMMV.

Since you are planning to spend quite a lot, it's an emotionally significant purchase, and you cannot judge these by the certificates, are you able to travel to an area where you can view a lot of FY diamonds in person? For example, in NYC you could visit Diamonds by Lauren and Leibish. If you are in another country, maybe others can suggest reliable vendors there.
I am in love with the FIY below from Diamonds by Lauren ($18,950.00):

1725505057498.png

Since you are planning to spend quite a lot, it's an emotionally significant purchase, and you cannot judge these by the certificates, are you able to travel to an area where you can view a lot of FY diamonds in person? For example, in NYC you could visit Diamonds by Lauren and Leibish. If you are in another country, maybe others can suggest reliable vendors there.
I am in love with the FIY below from Diamonds by Lauren ($18,950.00):

1725505057498.png

Stunning stone, stunning setting, tons of finger coverage, $19k! I looked at DbL but didn't see any saturated loose stones, I should have looked at rings!

1725505461108.png

1725505478225.png

I think it’s really important to compare more diamonds in person to figure out your own preferences. GIA fancy intense and vivid yellow grades cover a pretty wide range of colors, and the differences can’t really be appreciated without seeing them in person. Keep in mind that diamond fire can look more muted as color gets darker and more saturated, and the choice of setting can also have a big impact on perceived color. A fancy intense yellow can give off more fire, and in the right setting can look more saturated than a loose fancy vivid yellow.

Stunning stone, stunning setting, tons of finger coverage, $19k! I looked at DbL but didn't see any saturated loose stones, I should have looked at rings!

1725505461108.png

1725505478225.png

Yes! I saw nothing in loose stones, but I have always loved this ring, so had to share:)

For a purchase of this significance I think you need to be able to see multiple stones together and choose the one you love. That might mean working with a vendor who can call stones in for you to see.

I agree with the advice to see in person. This is a big ticket item. I have had yellow diamonds and they are very hard to evaluate by photo.

I agree with the advice to see in person. This is a big ticket item. I have had yellow diamonds and they are very hard to evaluate by photo.

I will agree here. I have one tiny one that I bought from a PS-er. It was really hard to judge in the photos, but the price was good, so I figured it would be worth the risk. It's just so gorgeous in person. The price of a flight to NYC from almost anywhere will fit into your $35,000 budget and then you have the remainder to spend on the ring.

Thank you all for your input! Luckily, the vendor is able to bring in both stones so I'll be able to see them next week. I'm hoping that the cheaper one will be lovely in person - that would save so much money!

@freddyboston - thanks for sharing this article! Though I wonder if an engagement ring that is regularly worn would make sense as an investment. I imagine it will experience wear

HI:

Putting it out there:

cheers--Sharon

Best of luck @CanaryCrazed !
It’s great that you’ll be able to see stones in person.
Most of our clients have never visited but I understand why people want to look in person.

interesting memo today about Fancy Color....

1725549444923.png
Sorry but I have to call immense BS
The first line is something about how great an investment FCDs are. Apparently this guy never ever tried to sell one.
It really gets my goat when people who know better make such glaringly false statements

Don’t forget that you do t have to choose either of these! You can always keep looking if neither is exactly what you want. For your budget, that should be the bar — something that makes your heart sing.

Don’t forget that you do t have to choose either of these! You can always keep looking if neither is exactly what you want. For your budget, that should be the bar — something that makes your heart sing.

That's such a good point! I've been nervous given the rarity of yellow diamonds. But I'm hopeful that I'll find one that makes my heart sing!

That's such a good point! I've been nervous given the rarity of yellow diamonds. But I'm hopeful that I'll find one that makes my heart sing!

They aren't that that that rare. 100% agree with @Dreamer_D that you are not stuck to just these two and that you should only get one if you love it. Let us know how you feel in person when you see them!

Diamonds by Lauren who posted above would be a great vendor to reach out to if neither one of these does the trick, whether or not you can go to NYC.

Rare but not soooo rare. Seeing these two in person will be very helpful in narrowing your preference for saturation and other factors. I hope you have fun!

Fancy yellow instead of intense or vivid, but if you like the setting this is an in-budget option! Not sure which color is more accurate since they're so different but again, worth asking about if you like the setting. The center diamond is over 3 carats and it has OEC melee!

1725717889160.png

1725717924179.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results