shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting started on OEC search

cjuncosa

Rough_Rock
HI all - Im getting going on trying to put together an engagement ring around an OEC but feeling a little overwhelmed and that I dont know what I dont know yet. Id like to know if there are any pitfalls or other things to consider when sourcing a lab grown OEC. Obviously (maybe not obvious?) Im looking for the best light performance and that prototypical petal pattern but Im not sure where that leaves me as my knowledge of OECs/OMCs are all legacy natural stones and dont/didnt benefit from modern cutting & methods. Are there specific cuts to look for, specific vendors, is re-cutting the way to go ... Im sorta lost on where to go next.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hey! It’s normal to feel overwhelmed with a lab-grown OEC. Focus on cut quality and proportions to get that desired petal pattern. Check out reputable vendors who can help you find the best options. If you find a stone that’s close but not quite right, consider asking about re-cutting. Joining a diamond-focused community can also provide great insights. Good luck!

Depending on your budget you could reach out to Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem (high end) or Alex Park on IG (low end). They both source OMC/OEC stones. Good luck!

HI all - Im getting going on trying to put together an engagement ring around an OEC but feeling a little overwhelmed and that I dont know what I dont know yet. Id like to know if there are any pitfalls or other things to consider when sourcing a lab grown OEC. Obviously (maybe not obvious?) Im looking for the best light performance and that prototypical petal pattern but Im not sure where that leaves me as my knowledge of OECs/OMCs are all legacy natural stones and dont/didnt benefit from modern cutting & methods. Are there specific cuts to look for, specific vendors, is re-cutting the way to go ... Im sorta lost on where to go next.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I would suggest reaching out to Jonathan at Distinctive Gens. Check out their website for lab OEC’s.

Another option is to search threads in this part of the form for the term OEC and contact vendors who others have had success with, buying stones you like the look of.

For the best modern optics, Distinctive Gem and Canera seem to be the best. I think Alex Park has the most authentic looking stones.

I would suggest reaching out to Jonathan at Distinctive Gens. Check out their website for lab OEC’s.

I was going to ask about this vendor - Ill reach out! Thanks!

Depending on your budget you could reach out to Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem (high end) or Alex Park on IG (low end). They both source OMC/OEC stones. Good luck!

Yes those two vendors are a great place to start

Jonathon does technically superb old cuts designed for light return.

Alex regularly lists very nice authentic looking lab old cuts.

DeBebians lab OEC ring
That one is on Reddit. It's an OEC lab diamond and ring from DeBebian's. I don't know whether the owner is on here or not. People have gotten stones from Tianyu and Fiorese, and Ouros. (May not have spelled those right.) Depends whether you want the very best or not. Anything from Jon / Distinctive Gem would be perfection, though.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics