shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to purchase a stone in the next 48 hrs. I need your help !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a few months. I''ve learned a lot from you guys and I believe that I am ready to purchase a diamond finally. I bought the setting for my girlfriend years ago as a promise ring. It''s time now to get serious. I have found two diamonds, one on Angara and the other on Bluenile. Both have GIA certificates. I have no images of these diamonds as the sites do not provide them. I need your help in choosing one as they will only be on hold for the next 48 hrs.

1) 0.9 carat Round Brilliant (No diamond map)
Color: F
Clarity: VS1 (crystal & pinpoint)
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: m-stk (Faceted)
HCA: 0.8
Price: $4,865.44

2) 1.2 carat round brilliant
Clarity: VS2 (crystal, feather, needle)
HCA: 0.7
Price: $8,880

My girlfriend has a size 5 ring finger. She is pretty petite but she liked both 0.9 and 1.2 carat sizes we viewed at Tiffany''s. My original budget was going to be 7k so one is a little below and the other is a little above. Are these good deals?

Thanks in advance everyone !!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Need the crown, pavillion angles and other specs on the GIA report. What is your budget? Something to think about is blue nile does not have an upgrade policy. Also, yust as an FYI Blue nile will hold longer than 48 hours. All you need to do is ask.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assuming those HCA scores are correct either is likely to be a fine choice. Only you can decide what amount you want to spend...there's a big difference there.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I bet both are beautiful diamonds......did a search and those diamonds are priced rather well. Good luck in choosing between the two and congrats on your upcoming engagement
36.gif

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
1) Measurements: 6.18 - 6.22 x 3.83 mm
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.8%
Crown angle: 34.5 deg
Pavillion angle: 40.6 deg
Culet: None

2) Measurements: 6.83 - 6.85 x 4.18 mm
Table: 57%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown angle: 34 deg
Pavillion angle: 40.6 deg
Culet: None

I want the diamond that is a better deal. Is 9k expensive for a 1.2 carat?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have large fingers so I would take the larger stone, but with smaller fingers I might take the smaller stone and get a nice blingy band with the difference!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. It''s just that a 0.9 carat on a size 5 finger and a 1.2 carat, what are your thoughts on bigger is better? Can people easily tell 0.9 carat from a 1.2 carat?

Tolive

Rough_Rock
Come on, you are an Engineer, a few thousand dollars more to please the love of your life I think it's a great trade off :)
Congrats btw!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
That is true. She says a diamond forever. I just want her to be happy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:01:30 PM
Author: ChemEngineer
That is true. She says a diamond forever. I just want her to be happy.

Has she expressed her preference for size? We can only guess what she would like but she would KNOW what she wants.
2.gif

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Thanks Breann,

I''ve been searching straight for about 3 months every night and am pretty sure I cannot budge on the clarity and color. I can tell the difference with a G but the F is harder for me. Also, I have confirmation from bluenile that the 1.2 carat is eye clean. I''ve looked at other SI1 that they told me were eye clean but the inclusion sizes and locations did not look like it would actually be eye clean.

After looking at diamonds in person for months now. I''m actually pretty sensitive to the color, cut and clarity now =)

Thank you for your input !!! I''m excited !!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Tolive , not meaning to get down on what you said bc engineers can get paid tons of mulla once in their field for awhile but he could be just out of school and not wanting to spend alot, its his finances not ours that are going to buy his diamond. We should respect someones budget here on pricescope.....sorry, just had to say something bc my hubby is bout to graduate with engineer degree too and he by no means will be making tons of money right out of school

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/29/2008 5:35:25 PM
Author:ChemEngineer
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a few months. I've learned a lot from you guys and I believe that I am ready to purchase a diamond finally. I bought the setting for my girlfriend years ago as a promise ring. It's time now to get serious. I have found two diamonds, one on Angara and the other on Bluenile. Both have GIA certificates. I have no images of these diamonds as the sites do not provide them. I need your help in choosing one as they will only be on hold for the next 48 hrs.

1) 0.9 carat Round Brilliant (No diamond map)
Clarity: VS1 (crystal & pinpoint)
HCA: 0.8
Price: $4,865.44

2) 1.2 carat round brilliant
Clarity: VS2 (crystal, feather, needle)
HCA: 0.7
Price: $8,880

My girlfriend has a size 5 ring finger. She is pretty petite but she liked both 0.9 and 1.2 carat sizes we viewed at Tiffany's. My original budget was going to be 7k so one is a little below and the other is a little above. Are these good deals?

Thanks in advance everyone !!
It depends on how picky you are. In basic terms both could be promising. For a cut fanatic there is not nearly enough information here to make an educated decision.

The HCA is a rejection tool. Its scores are based on averaged numbers and don’t account for lower halves, stars, potential painting & digging or cut consistency (crown and pavilion angles are given as single numbers but based on 8 measurements). You have the GIA ‘EX’ grade as well, which is another good indicator, but it's also a simple 2D evaluation and ‘EX’ has a far wider range than many enthusiasts are comfortable with… The good news is that GIA EX coupled with those HCA scores in that 0.7-0.9 range imply diamonds that aren’t in the dangerous steep/deep area of EX that troubles many pros. With 40.6/34.0 averages diamond #2 has nice angles as long as it was consistently cut.

So we're back to how decisive you would like to be. Both could be promising but there is simply no way to know consistency or to verify light performance pedigree without some indicator such as an ideal-scope or ASET photo.

Date: 11/29/2008 5:54:27 PM
Thanks for the input. It's just that a 0.9 carat on a size 5 finger and a 1.2 carat, what are your thoughts on bigger is better? Can people easily tell 0.9 carat from a 1.2 carat?
What are the mm spreads? Since they are both GIA EX there won't be a lot of weight hidden in the girdle, but depths of 57.5-63.0% are allowed in EX...and the overall depth/spread make a difference in how big they face up - as does cut performance.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Neat,

We went to go look at diamonds at Tiffany''s and she expressed her opinions on clarity, cut, and color. Carat, however, we just narrowed it down. 0.7 was too small, 1.5 was too large. She liked the 0.9 and 1.2. I think the 1.2 looked amazing on her but she had some reservations with the size and price (It was 25k at Tiffany''s). So I don''t know what she really wants, all I know is between a 0.9 and 1.2...

Do some women really not like larger diamonds?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:09:45 PM
Neat,

We went to go look at diamonds at Tiffany''s and she expressed her opinions on clarity, cut, and color. Carat, however, we just narrowed it down. 0.7 was too small, 1.5 was too large. She liked the 0.9 and 1.2. I think the 1.2 looked amazing on her but she had some reservations with the size and price (It was 25k at Tiffany''s). So I don''t know what she really wants, all I know is between a 0.9 and 1.2...

Do some women really not like larger diamonds?
Of course there are. Reasons include wearability (smaller stones can be worn doing lots of things that a larger stoned ring would need to be removed for), social circle, preferred style of setting, and, of course, cost.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
No, not all women want large diamonds....but by your description of your GF it seems like 0.9-1.2 makes her happy and that she is leaving it up to you to decide what size between her preference to get her. What setting did she end up liking at Tiffs? Does she want Plat, YG, OR WG?

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Thanks Breann,

I am a pretty young engineer. I''m 25 and have been working for 2 years now. I have been saving for months and my budget is variable because this will decide for me whether I get a new car now or in a couple years from now. I have saved enough for the ring and a wedding. My girlfriend made sacrifices by moving to Southern California for me since she lived her whole life in Northern California. I feel I need to make her happy and ensure her that we will be together forever and I understand the magnitude of her sacrifices.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Platinum. I plan on using her promise ring as it is very special. It is a four pronged 36 white diamond ring with a blue topaz (her birth stone) in the center.

That''s the other problem. In order to put the diamond in the ring I''ll have to sneak her promise ring away from her which she wears every day =\

Tolive

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:07:47 PM
Author: Mrs W
Hello Tolive , not meaning to get down on what you said bc engineers can get paid tons of mulla once in their field for awhile but he could be just out of school and not wanting to spend alot, its his finances not ours that are going to buy his diamond. We should respect someones budget here on pricescope.....sorry, just had to say something bc my hubby is bout to graduate with engineer degree too and he by no means will be making tons of money right out of school

Hey Breann, I totally agreed with what you said :) I do apologize for the wrongful tone I had in my comment...

A diamond engagement ring purchase is really a personal thing in my opinion, on one hand you have to be sure the one you buy is the one she loves, on the other hand, you'll have to balance your budget and expectations and certain compromises have to be made...

To make it short, get the one that you and you future wife will absolutely love for the many years to come :)

Both stones will be nice I'm sure :)

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
John,

I posted the measurements a couple posts below my first post.

I understand what you are talking about, but the problem is when I ask the people at these companies, are the diamonds eye clean and do they have intense sparkle I don''t know if I could trust them. What I have to go on are these GIA certificates. That is also the problem with GIA, there is no light performance charts like AGS. I just hope that either of these will be a good pick.

What I was told by an expert jewelery at Tiffany''s was that if the ring is faceted that usually is a tall tail sign that the person who cut it was an expert. Therefore, I''ve only been looking for faceted diamonds.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this sounds so sweet....This really is a special engagement, I love to help guys like you! Well, one way to get the ring is when she is in the shower, sneak in there and take it off the counter......just beware that when she comes out of the bathroom frantically looking for the promise ring you have to keep a straight face or you will give it away that you took it!
41.gif

You should put that blue topaz from her promise ring into a necklace or someother piece of jewelry and present it to her at the proposal....sooo romantic!

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Tolive,

I understand what you meant and I really appreciate your opinion. I am interested in what other people think and like receiving feedback. Thanks.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
ChemEngineer,

What you could do is have both diamonds sent to an independant appraiser and see which one you like better and return the other. I do know Bluenile''s return policy is 30 days, not too sure on Angara tho.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:00:05 PM
I do not think its too expensive for a 1.2 with your specs, the diamond i posted here is more than yours at the same specs just to let you know what others vendors might cost. I also did open a search with G color and SI1 diamonds(don''t know if your interested in that)and they were cheaper than your bluenile diamond

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193886.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
That link is to a stone that is over 10k? Am I missing something or is that link the wrong one?

If you want to best cut (and the most sparkly, you don''t have enough info to go on).

I would purchase from a vendor that has more info, ie whiteflash or good old gold.

Those prices look a little low for a really well cut stone of those specs. Here is an ACA for example and it''s a lot more.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1467016.htm

I really think you should consider G colour - in a really well cut stone you won''t notice the colour difference at all (poorer cut stone show more colour), and drop down to SI1 clarity - if eyeclean you can''t tell the difference, so why pay for a higher clarity?

Cut is what makes the stone sparkle and look fabulous. You should definately have this as a priority.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:32:47 PM
Oh, this sounds so sweet....This really is a special engagement, I love to help guys like you! Well, one way to get the ring is when she is in the shower, sneak in there and take it off the counter......just beware that when she comes out of the bathroom frantically looking for the promise ring you have to keep a straight face or you will give it away that you took it!
41.gif

You should put that blue topaz from her promise ring into a necklace or someother piece of jewelry and present it to her at the proposal....sooo romantic!

Wow, thank you, that''s a really tremendous idea. I appreciate your help.

I''ve been trying to think of what I could do for her and I actually came up with something pretty crazy and I don''t know if I''ll be able to pull it off. I plan on bringing her to Disneyland and trying to work something out so that the characters come out when I propose at a special location (secret) which she loved going to as a child. I also plan on bringing her parents down so they could be there to witness it (b/c they live up north).

Thanks again. I guess the car could hold off for now. My car works, and it''s a 2004 so there is no need to get a new one. I''m just being selfish ^_^

P.S. I think I''m leaning towards the 1.2 carat new even though it may be VS-2. The Bluenile people told me it was eye-clean and they are always so quick with their responses.

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 6:40:16 PM
ChemEngineer,

What you could do is have both diamonds sent to an independant appraiser and see which one you like better and return the other. I do know Bluenile''s return policy is 30 days, not too sure on Angara tho.

That''s the thing. I really don''t know much about Angara. I''m a little bit hesitant from buying from them. I fully trust Bluenile because I''ve bought from them before. Do you think I could I get the diamond appraised within the 30 days from bluenile? How long does appraisal take?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466974.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466960.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1445151.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4732/ gorgeous stone, same price as your second one, but fantastic cut.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4510/

These are all gorgeous stones, really well cut and sparkly. You will need to contact the vendors directly to see if they are eyeclean. You won''t notice the colour difference as they are better cuts.

Good luck! Don''t forget to ask for the PS discount
1.gif

beach

Brilliant_Rock
It takes about 1.5 hours and many independent appraisors let you watch the whole process. Do NOT take it to a jeweler

ChemEngineer

Rough_Rock
Honey,

Thanks for those picks. I guess you''re an expert and finding the best. Those looks really good at first glance. I guess I should keep looking then before I just go with the Bluenile choice. I''ll continue looking before I pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results