shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Greatest Christmas gift ever? 10.2ct Diamond Ring

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
My grandmother told me years ago that she was going to give me this ring but I had no idea that it would be this Christmas. I don't know if anything will ever top it! I'm not sure if it's just my computer screen but it looks a little bit more brown in the photos than it does in person. It's a tinted a really pretty pale yellow. Now I just have to figure out how to get it appraised and insured.

marquis2_0.jpg

marquis3.jpg

marquis1.jpg

marquis4.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock
OMG!! :o :geek: :shock:
That is huge!!

Congratulations on receiving such a lovely gift. :appl:

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! It's an ugly winter day outside but hopefully the sun will come out at some point so I can get some pictures of it actually sparkling.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Happy Christmas to you indeed!!! :bigsmile:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
definitely the greatest christmas gift ever!! i'd love to see more pictures because that's soooo amazing! congratulations on receiving such a beautiful and meaningful gift!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! How cool. It is pretty and huge!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow!!! :o I'd say you win the prize for the best jewelry Christmas gift alright! :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:o WOW, It's HUGE. I bet you are one happy lady!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is amazing, what a wonderful Grandma you have. Wear it in good health and cherish it always. :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! :love: :-o :shock:
That truly has to be the greatest Christmas gift ever!!! Amazing stone - wow wow wow....

How wonderful that you were the lucky grandchild chosen to keep this precious possession! That's very special for you! Enjoy this gorgeous stone - would love to hear the history behind it - if you know any...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a HUGE stone! What a great grandmother you have to gift that ring to you!

Enjoy - that truly makes a Christmas to remember, huh?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
W :love: W!!!

akemibabe

Rough_Rock
that's a beautiful ring!!!! and an awesome rock!!!! congrats!!!! :love:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy guocamole!!! It's spectacular!!! What an awesome grandmother, you are one veeeeeery special grandchild! :bigsmile: I just adore the colour. Enjoy! :love: :love: :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! - that is an awesome christmas gift!!! :appl:

FYI - if you go under the Pricescope resources tabs, there is a link to appraisers.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool.
First I'd have a reputable jeweler remove it from the setting since an appraiser can evaluate it better.
Then I'd get a professional independent appraisal (from an appraiser who does NOT sell diamonds).
This will help decide what to insure it for.
Also if you ship it you need to document its value prior to shipping it, in case there is a claim.

Then I'd ship it to GIA for a grading report which will hold more weight than any appraisal when it comes to the clarity and color grades.
You can ship it to GIA yourself, you don't need to pay a jeweler to do this for you.
Call GIA labs for instructions.

Since the value is likely over USPS's registered insurance limit of $25,000, I'd ship it to GIA via a high-security shipper like Brinks or Malca Amit.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a WOW! Are you going to wear it in that setting? Quite a rock! Merry Christmas for sure!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the replies. I am a VERY lucky lady! I happen to be the only grandchild who likes jewelry and my grandmother would let me play dress up in her jewelry when I was little. She showed me this ring for the first time when I was about 15 and told me that it would be mine one day. I just assumed that she'd will it to me so this was certainly a HUGE surprise (pun intended) and a Christmas to remember.

The history is a little unclear. From what I can gather, a friend of hers had some money trouble and had to liquidate some of her jewelry collection. She asked my grandmother if she'd buy this ring from her and she did. This was probably in the 1950's? I think she really bought it because her brother's wife was always trying to one up her on jewelry and she knew she couldn't out do this one. lol So the history is really more funny that heartwarming but I've always loved it just the same.

Thank you, Kenny, for the input. I found the link here to a few appraisers in my area. One gave an idea as to what his fees are on his website and it looks like it may be about $1000 for an appraisal. Eek! So I guess this will be living in my safety deposit box for a second. I'm going to start saving though because I would like to send it to GIA one day to have it graded as well.

Luv, I think I will leave it in this setting. I've always loved simple settings with tapered baguettes.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
TheGeckoLady|1324957758|3089032 said:
Thank you for all the replies. I am a VERY lucky lady! I happen to be the only grandchild who likes jewelry and my grandmother would let me play dress up in her jewelry when I was little. She showed me this ring for the first time when I was about 15 and told me that it would be mine one day. I just assumed that she'd will it to me so this was certainly a HUGE surprise (pun intended) and a Christmas to remember.

The history is a little unclear. From what I can gather, a friend of hers had some money trouble and had to liquidate some of her jewelry collection. She asked my grandmother if she'd buy this ring from her and she did. This was probably in the 1950's? I think she really bought it because her brother's wife was always trying to one up her on jewelry and she knew she couldn't out do this one. lol So the history is really more funny that heartwarming but I've always loved it just the same.

Thank you, Kenny, for the input. I found the link here to a few appraisers in my area. One gave an idea as to what his fees are on his website and it looks like it may be about $1000 for an appraisal. Eek! So I guess this will be living in my safety deposit box for a second. I'm going to start saving though because I would like to send it to GIA one day to have it graded as well.

Luv, I think I will leave it in this setting. I've always loved simple settings with tapered baguettes.

Gecko-really cool ring!!! it definitely is huge and very unique.

I think the GIA fee is less (and appraiser fee also although perhaps more with such a large item?) Anyway it might be worth looking into if you want to insure your piece. If you do get it graded I would be interested to hear the results. Thanks for sharing!

sofie

Rough_Rock
This is so beautiful and what a heirloom! Great present.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowza!! Congrats!!!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful gift from your grandmother, grandmothers' are very special people. You must be very close to her to receive such an amazing ring. Treasure that big rock :love:

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Wow thats an amazing heirloom piece! Wear it in good health!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well that's a dream if ever there was one. Enjoy it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you're a lucky gal! :appl:

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, what a beautiful one~!!! Very nice

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! :appl:
I love the proportions on your stone - the marquise is my favorite shape.
Wear that beauty in the best of health and joy.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, huge rock! Love the shape and the simple setting. Best of all though is the story! I love that your grandmother gave it to you while she's still living so she can see you enjoy it!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! That is a rock!
:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results