shape
carat
color
clarity

Help : How to start buying a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Hi to everyone here.
I''m so lost. I''ve read all about the 4 Cs all about ideal scopes and stuff.
I know roughly what I want in terms of cut, size etc.
But when I go to a local jeweller (I''m in Singapore), the diamond all looks the same to me.
I don''t know if what I''m paying for is worth it.

I''m trying to buy online, but again there are so many retailers, how to tellt eh good ones?

Can someone please offer some advice?
33.gif

Thanks,
Lau

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Lau, welcome.

If you can: a) limit to GIA & AGS, first, and then,
if AGS0...relax and pick one you like, and if GIA, apply HCA (get the store to help you limit these...if they want your business), and ideally, buy an idealscope to confirm your purchase.
If online, WF, GOG, JA, and the Infinity crew are all a good place to start.

confirming and additional notes below my signature.

Regards,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 2:28:22 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Lau, welcome.

If you can: a) limit to GIA & AGS, first, and then,
if AGS0...relax and pick one you like, and if GIA, apply HCA (get the store to help you limit these...if they want your business), and ideally, buy an idealscope to confirm your purchase.
If online, WF, GOG, JA, and the Infinity crew are all a good place to start.

confirming and additional notes below my signature.

Regards,
Welcome Scutor,

Ditto Ira''s advice!

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Ira and Lorelei, Thanks for the advice. I never knew there are so so much to learn about diamonds.
Mind if I ask what''s HCA?

I''ve looked around and it seems cheaper to buy online from US than to buy direct from shops in Singapore.
I seem convinced to buy a triple AGS 0 diamond in order to get the maximum shine? Would you guys think it''s worth the money?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 3:06:22 AM
Author: sctutor
Ira and Lorelei, Thanks for the advice. I never knew there are so so much to learn about diamonds.
Mind if I ask what's HCA?

I've looked around and it seems cheaper to buy online from US than to buy direct from shops in Singapore.
I seem convinced to buy a triple AGS 0 diamond in order to get the maximum shine? Would you guys think it's worth the money?
Ira and I are pleased to help and ask away if you have any questions!

HCA means Holloway Cut Advisor, a very useful tool which is used for eliminating lesser performing diamonds, leaving you with the ones which score under 2 to evaluate further.

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

As to what to purchase it depends on what you value more, AGS0 are would narrow the field although I personally prefer not to assume anything but to evaluate each diamond carefully, there are well cut GIA diamonds out there - if you work with a trusted vendor who has all the cut info available such as reflector images etc then you could find a lovely diamond that way, so it depends on what you value the most.

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei,

I think the most important thing to me is that the diamond should sparkle. And I assume that means cut is very important?

Some of my friends are asking me to buy diamonds later, saying that the economic crisis will bring the prices down. Is that a good idea.

Assuming I hope to get a sparking 0.9 carat diamond. Color D-F and anything till VS2, how much should I be expecting to pay?

Many Thanks
Val

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 9:47:59 AM
Thanks Lorelei,

I think the most important thing to me is that the diamond should sparkle. And I assume that means cut is very important?

Some of my friends are asking me to buy diamonds later, saying that the economic crisis will bring the prices down. Is that a good idea.

Assuming I hope to get a sparking 0.9 carat diamond. Color D-F and anything till VS2, how much should I be expecting to pay?

Many Thanks
Val
You are most welcome!

And yes cut is incredibly important as without a good cut you won''t have a pretty diamond.

Here are some examples of what you are looking for so you can compare prices.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/I299703/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5031/

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197285.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I''m looking for the diamond preferably below $4000 as a birthday gift.
I realised maybe 0.9 carats is too big for the price.

What do you all think of these few?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1204040.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213138.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197170.asp

Can I ask, I realise there is a big jump for price between S1 and VS2 and between colour F and Colour G.
Between the 2 which is more important, assume all Ideal Hearts and Arrow.
Is it better to get a S1 with Color F, or Color G with VS2?

Is good old Gold a more expensive jeweller, or are their diamonds of better quality?

Thanks for all your help :)

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Some people prefer to go to G VS2 (G is still colorless and you will not see any VS2 inclusions with your naked eye) because sometimes when you go into the SI category (not always, but sometimes) some people are able to spot the inclusion with an unaided eye.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 4:33:41 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking for the diamond preferably below $4000 as a birthday gift.
I realised maybe 0.9 carats is too big for the price.

What do you all think of these few?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1204040.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213138.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197170.asp

Can I ask, I realise there is a big jump for price between S1 and VS2 and between colour F and Colour G.
Between the 2 which is more important, assume all Ideal Hearts and Arrow.
Is it better to get a S1 with Color F, or Color G with VS2?

Is good old Gold a more expensive jeweller, or are their diamonds of better quality?

Thanks for all your help :)
Those all look very nice, you could ask for the Idealscope images on two of the diamonds which haven't been uploaded yet to be sent to you. I am not sure what criteria JA use for their h&a diamonds, I don't think they provide hearts images for these diamonds which are of help in judging them. As to colour and clarity, with all SI clarities, make sure that the diamond is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor, in other words if you don't want to see any inclusions visible at close scrutiny from any angle, let the vendor know that. F and G colour are both good quality and will be very white, so I would choose according to whether the SI is eyeclean or not.

GOG are also an excellent vendor with a superb rep here, they also do hearts and arrows diamonds with Idealscope, reflector and hearts images.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sctutor,

Welcome to PriceScope... as you can see, like you i'm a newbie, and another thing alike is I'm from Singapore too...

I won't try to give you any advise since there are so many people here who are more qualified to do that than I am, I personally received a lot of help from Lorelei, and many of the other posters here..

What I can give you though, is encouragement based on personal experience... I have recently bought an engagement ring and a wedding band from online vendors... one of them is a PS Vendor (Whiteflash) and while the other one isn't (DiamondsIdeal), both sell top notch stuffs and both have excellent customer service.. from answering questions, providing supporting documents, special request during shipping and all the way to aftersales.. thumbs up...

So, be thorough, be careful, be diligent, be willing to ask questions and receive advises, and be ready for a most amazing and satisfying shopping and buying experience...

all the best to you...
1.gif

Edited to add the following: -

p.s. forgot to mention, besides WhiteFlash and DiamondsIdeal, I have also worked with many other vendors including Good Old Gold, James Allen, BlueNiles, UnionDiamonds, DiamondsOnWeb etc (now you know how hard i searched for the perfect diamond and setting
3.gif
)... and though I did not buy from any of them, they had proven to be most helpful and generous in their advises too...

So don't worry... dare to find and identify, and query about those you fancy, post them here for some expert opinions, and i assure you you'll find yourself one heck of a great diamond...
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good post and input Blast!
emthup.gif

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 10:58:27 AM
Author: Lorelei
emthup.gif

thanks.. i learn from the best (you know who)..
2.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 11:01:34 AM
Author: blastdoor

Date: 2/1/2009 10:58:27 AM
Author: Lorelei
emthup.gif

thanks.. i learn from the best (you know who)..
2.gif
2.gif
* simpers and blushes....* you are too kind!
12.gif

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for you help.
Now I''m even a step closer to get my diamond :)

sctutor

Rough_Rock
hey...I''ve been searching around with all your advice (limited to only vendors who shipped in Singapore)

I''ve somewhat taking a liking to this one
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213131.asp

I''ve also search through whiteflash and GOG, but the diamonds of the same specification (or at least what it seems to a novice like me) seems to be more expensive...

Would be thankful if you guys can tell me if this is a good choice?
I see that there is a central inclusion at 10x image, but the agent at JA says that it''s naked to the eye.

Is the price fair? (I''m just graduating, so price is sadly so impt)

Thanks lots

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 11:01:17 AM
hey...I''ve been searching around with all your advice (limited to only vendors who shipped in Singapore)

I''ve somewhat taking a liking to this one

I''ve also search through whiteflash and GOG, but the diamonds of the same specification (or at least what it seems to a novice like me) seems to be more expensive...

Would be thankful if you guys can tell me if this is a good choice?
I see that there is a central inclusion at 10x image, but the agent at JA says that it''s naked to the eye.

Is the price fair? (I''m just graduating, so price is sadly so impt)

Thanks lots
It looks like a potentially very nice diamond sctutor!

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and everyone else.

I''ve learnt so much for here.

I''m really down to my final 3 diamonds now. Can you guys help me with what you think is the best buy of the 3?

1)

2)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213126.asp

3)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213139.asp

I Only have the ideal scope for no.1 as attached.

Hope you guys can help

Lau :)

T12-028id.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:48:19 PM
Thanks Lorelei and everyone else.

I've learnt so much for here.

I'm really down to my final 3 diamonds now. Can you guys help me with what you think is the best buy of the 3?

1)

2)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213126.asp

3)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213139.asp

I Only have the ideal scope for no.1 as attached.

Hope you guys can help

Lau :)
I will gladly take a look for you!

Ok, they all look good, if budget is an issue then you could go for the first, if you are unsure, contact your JA rep and ask them to discuss each diamond with you as they will be able to describe the nuances of each and tell you which might be the best suited for your purposes. Josh has an excellent eye by all accounts so you could contact him.

sctutor

Rough_Rock
oh no, help...

I woke up this morning (which is night in the US) and the price of the diamond I wanted to buy suddenly went up from 3.4k too 3.7k.
I never knew price can suddenly change like this?

Do you guys think it''s still worth it to get the diamond....

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:58:52 PM
oh no, help...

I woke up this morning (which is night in the US) and the price of the diamond I wanted to buy suddenly went up from 3.4k too 3.7k.
I never knew price can suddenly change like this?

Do you guys think it's still worth it to get the diamond....
yeah.. it does happen...

at least 2 of the stones i was monitoring had a significant price jump between the before and after Christmas period last Christmas.. and after that, they disappear really quickly... but not all stones go up in price at once..

as for whether its still worth it or not, i guess its very much up to the individual as it really is a personal thing..

if you have really good vibes with the stone and you feel you really like it, and its at a price that you can accept, then it is worth it...

otherwise i'm sure there are many many other stones for you to look at and choose from that can satisfy your specs and requirements and within your budget..

you should also not forget the cost of a setting (if you're getting one) and other misc costs (shipping, insurance, customs duties, which is at 7% for Singapore, apprasial fees etc).. these would eventually give you quite a "surprise" if you're not careful with them...

good luck and all the best...

sctutor

Rough_Rock
you guys think if I call Jim, he will be able to offer me the price we discussed yesterday?
Any experience?

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
I have not tried negotiating but i definitely find the sales persons helpful and patient when talking to them over the phone... so no harm trying i think, even if he really can''t help you with the cost, i''m sure he would be able to help you one way or another...

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Anyway, are you referring to the third diamond you listed? the 0.87 carat G-VS2 H&A at $3,645.00 with their Valentine''s Day offer?

If you take advantage of the Pricescope Benefit it is further discounted to $3,570.00 (a lot closer to $3,400.00 than $3,700.00)..

the other two are at $3,370.00 with the Pricescope benefit..

to take advantage of the Pricescope Benefit all you need to do is go to James Allen through the Pricescope webpage instead of going there directly.. you can do that by keying in your diamond specs at the Pricescope homepage and link to the individual vendor through the search results..

and just to bring up a point, the 2nd diamond you listed actually scored a 2.2 Very Good on the HCA... and you will really need to see the IS for this one if you think you might want to go with it...

p.s. my personal point of view, these babies might disappear really fast with offers like that, if you''re really keen, you might wanna put them on hold first, then quickly make your final decision... good luck.. :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 12:15:52 AM
you guys think if I call Jim, he will be able to offer me the price we discussed yesterday?
Any experience?
I don''t know how this works if the price suddenly goes up while you are discussing a diamond with a vendor, but as Blast said ask Jim. That is what I would do!

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Thanks Blastdoor and Lorelei,

Ya those are the 2 stones I''m taking about.
The funny thing is the Price was 3484(Un-discounted) just 12 hours ago. Now is 3.7K....
If you search at the pricescope "search by cut" you can still see the older pricescope price of $3200.

I took a day leave to settle this, and sadly morning here is night in the US.

Maybe I''ll call Jim. I''ve not sure how it goes, I assume I just call the hotline and ask for Jim? Is that how it works?

Would need advice from you guys again to look for stones if this fails.

Thanks for all your help, made me feel better, I''m a little restless cos as a student it took me some time to save up about 3.1k to get this stone. It''s bad being poor ;-)

Thanks,
Lau

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 5:03:18 AM
Thanks Blastdoor and Lorelei,

Ya those are the 2 stones I''m taking about.
The funny thing is the Price was 3484(Un-discounted) just 12 hours ago. Now is 3.7K....
If you search at the pricescope ''search by cut'' you can still see the older pricescope price of $3200.

I took a day leave to settle this, and sadly morning here is night in the US.

Maybe I''ll call Jim. I''ve not sure how it goes, I assume I just call the hotline and ask for Jim? Is that how it works?

Would need advice from you guys again to look for stones if this fails.

Thanks for all your help, made me feel better, I''m a little restless cos as a student it took me some time to save up about 3.1k to get this stone. It''s bad being poor ;-)

Thanks,
Lau
Yes just call JA and ask for Jim, or Josh might be able to help you if Jim isn''t around. Just shout if you need any more help!
35.gif

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Just called, Jim is not in the office.
Josh was helpful but wasn''t able to commit without Jim.

Josh mentioned that prices reflected on pricescope was somewhat misrepresentated. Although was actually looking at the James Allen Prices instead.

Apparently most of the H&A prices went up too, because another friend of mine looking at a 0.9 C diamond from JA also found a $700 increase in price overnight.

I''ll have to wait an hour before calling Jim. Hopefully I''ll get a good diamond.

Lau

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 10:03:23 AM
Just called, Jim is not in the office.
Josh was helpful but wasn''t able to commit without Jim.

Josh mentioned that prices reflected on pricescope was somewhat misrepresentated. Although was actually looking at the James Allen Prices instead.

Apparently most of the H&A prices went up too, because another friend of mine looking at a 0.9 C diamond from JA also found a $700 increase in price overnight.

I''ll have to wait an hour before calling Jim. Hopefully I''ll get a good diamond.

Lau
Keep us posted., I am not sure what he meant by the prices being misrepresented, there is a discount on the PS search I believe which you can get if you pay by bank wire but apart from that I am not sure...

sctutor

Rough_Rock
Ok, tried calling direct to Josh to get to Jim but no pick up.
Just at that time got a email from Jim.

Essentially, Kim said they realized that several of their H&A diamonds were listed on the website at cost price.
They realized it yesterday and corrected.

Jim was earnest in his email and I can't fault him for this mistake. He offered a further $70 discount to $3300.
I probably need to go for a smaller diamond to fit my $3100 Budget or raised $200 more.

Can you guys help me with this? with my budget, should I get
1) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193804.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
or
2) http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1848243.htm

OR should i raised the $200 (which is about SGD$380) more for
1) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213131.asp?b=16&a="12&c=77&cid=131 --"> which I posted the Ideal scope
or
2) http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1843965.htm

Thanks lots and lost
Lau

oh and I left this out

3) http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1848247.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results