shape
carat
color
clarity

[Help] Should I continue the process of creating a ring from this ~1ct Sapphire stone

dj508

Rough_Rock
IMG-20240716-WA0001.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_204352_Gallery.jpg

IMG-20240716-WA0004.jpg
Hello I need your help
I have bought a sapphire and ask for a precision cut

Here are 7 pictures taken from it.

This darker part moving, is it shadowing?
Is it still great stone and deserve to be set as a ring or should I stop the process and ask for refund? The cost of this stone was 1500$

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-20240716-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240716-WA0002.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20240716-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240716-WA0003.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240716_204257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240716_204257_Gallery.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240716_204322_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240716_204322_Gallery.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I see a lot of extinction and possibly dark zoning (hard to tell). How do you feel about the color? To me this isn't a desirable color - it's very brownish, if it is meant to be "orange". But taste in color is subjective, and I certainly have loved things that aren't "trade-ideal!". I don't think the performance is particularly good based on your photos, and it will look darkly brown much of the time, with some orange sparkle. That definitely would not be worth $1500 to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree. Lots of zoning/extinction, and not a great color. Definitely not worth 1.5k to me, so I personally wouldn't move ahead. But evrtypne has different preferences!

Hello and welcome to the boards! Is this stone unheated? True orange sapphires are scarce. So if this stone has not been treated, I think the color is pretty cool (it's zoned). All elongated cuts are going to have some manner of extinction (dark areas that seem to move with the light/stone). I am surprised, however, that it seems to be as prominent in a precision cut. Nevertheless, everyone's tolerance for these things is different. It's your money and your future ring. If you're enjoying the stone, it's certainly worthy to be set it. If you have nagging doubts, don't "throw good money after bad." Best of luck!

dj508

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your messages.

I have to admit I don't feel comfortable with this stone, and I feel I'm losing my money. This is why I wanted to ask here because you are saying the truth.

I believe it was heated first because otherwise it would be even higher in price.

I'm not fan of this big darker part on the stone, and even the extinction on some angle. I really hope to get a refund

Thank you for your messages.

I have to admit I don't feel comfortable with this stone, and I feel I'm losing my money. This is why I wanted to ask here because you are saying the truth.

I believe it was heated first because otherwise it would be even higher in price.

I'm not fan of this big darker part on the stone, and even the extinction on some angle. I really hope to get a refund

Sounds like you have your answer, and I'm glad we could be of some assistance. Return the stone and find one you truly love!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@dj508 I've kept, and even set, stones that I wasn't particularly fond of. Bad decisions all. I have NEVER turned out to love a stone that I didn't much like at first look!! They do not "grow on me." So, since this sounds like a big purchase, I think you're absolutely right to return. Post here (perhaps in a new thread) if you'd like recommendations for a stone that might meet your needs better!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dj508 I've kept, and even set, stones that I wasn't particularly fond of. Bad decisions all. I have NEVER turned out to love a stone that I didn't much like at first look!! They do not "grow on me." So, since this sounds like a big purchase, I think you're absolutely right to return. Post here (perhaps in a new thread) if you'd like recommendations for a stone that might meet your needs better!

Yup, same as my experience!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your second photo, what would happen if you rotated it 180 degrees clockwise? (Like flipped it horizontally?) Would the same "pole" look dark or would it be the one that previously looked light?

If this is color-zoning and not some other property, I think it is too pronounced and insufficiently "cool" (as opposed to simply being a defect) for that price-point.

dj508

Rough_Rock
In your second photo, what would happen if you rotated it 180 degrees clockwise? (Like flipped it horizontally?) Would the same "pole" look dark or would it be the one that previously looked light?

If this is color-zoning and not some other property, I think it is too pronounced and insufficiently "cool" (as opposed to simply being a defect) for that price-point.

It's not from me the video I have bought the stone with video and had a precision cut on it. The dark color is moving when the stone is rotating

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sage advice is if you don't love it you will simply waste money setting a stone you don't love. For that amount I personally would be looking for something substantially better colourwise.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, this is shadowing. Quite pronounced for such a light coloured stone.

When you say you had a precision cut, do you mean you bought a stone that was already precision cut, or that you selected the stone in its native cut and then had it recut especially for you? Because that would affect your return options.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a no from me as well.
If your heart doesn’t sing when you opened the parcel don’t think it will “grow on you” because it won’t.
I don’t think it’s an attractive sapphire, that dark section whether extinction or natural zoning is very distinctive and “unseeable”. Some people love an unusual look but………….
For $1,500 you can do a lot better.
Ask here next time before you buy. While it’s great to be able to return a gem if you don’t like it, the shipping costs both ways will be your responsibility and will quickly add up.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say your heart doesn’t need to sing but you need to wear it heaps and find it useful.

Either heart sings or it needs to be useful. If it can’t do either then it’s a no.

dj508

Rough_Rock
Yes, this is shadowing. Quite pronounced for such a light coloured stone.

When you say you had a precision cut, do you mean you bought a stone that was already precision cut, or that you selected the stone in its native cut and then had it recut especially for you? Because that would affect your return options.

It was native cut and I asked for a precision cut.

Finally the seller proposed today instead of refund to get a new stone and try again (I could also decline and ask for refund) . I've accepted this suggestion with some criterias, and no more precision cut.

We are now searching for 1/1.25 carat orange sapphire with no extinction, zoning, and good native cut.

I don't trust anymore the precision cut he proposed.

The deal is if I don't find good stone with criterias needed then I get a refund.

But I hope it will work and we will be able to setup the ring with great stone. Just no precision cut.

Last edited:

dj508

Rough_Rock
Thank you again fir all your messages it helped me a lot in this. I believe we've had no luck with the master cutter from Bangkok. I don't trust anymore the precision cut to be honest

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Precision cut in general is not the problem, the particular cut in this particular case is the problem. To be honest, it doesn't really seem precision to me, not with that result. In any case, you're right to not trust the skills of their cutter anymore. Hopefully they can offer you a stone that fits your requirements as is.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut isn't the issue. It's the material of the stone itself.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again fir all your messages it helped me a lot in this. I believe we've had no luck with the master cutter from Bangkok. I don't trust anymore the precision cut to be honest

Whats your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this?

This might be too yellow:

Under 1ct but I love this color

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and this one

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True precision cut options:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was native cut and I asked for a precision cut.

Finally the seller proposed today instead of refund to get a new stone and try again (I could also decline and ask for refund) . I've accepted this suggestion with some criterias, and no more precision cut.

We are now searching for 1/1.25 carat orange sapphire with no extinction, zoning, and good native cut.

I don't trust anymore the precision cut he proposed.

The deal is if I don't find good stone with criterias needed then I get a refund.

But I hope it will work and we will be able to setup the ring with great stone. Just no precision cut.

good luck
i love orange

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock

I don’t know about you, OP, but I love these! Good luck in your search, and keep us posted on your finds! I love a cheerful stone.

dj508

Rough_Rock
Whats your budget?

Really beautiful indeed.

Don't know if the jeweler I'm with has some source contact there to get stones like these. The one we had was from Sri Lanka.

Here indeed the precision cut is a success.

Jeweler will come with a series of stones in videos and I will choose from them.

We are based in Europe

Budget was around 1500$ just for the stone.

If I doubt will post some photos of the series if you want

dj508

Rough_Rock

Hello it's me again

What do you think of this one?

Size : 1.80ct

It's not exactly the size I'm searching for but I feel at least the quality is good without window etc.

Do you think 1.80ct is not too big for a center stone for a three stones ring?

I said to my jeweler that I want to keep it for some days and decide what to do.

Hello it's me again

It's not exactly the size I'm searching for but I feel at least the quality is good without window etc.

I said to my jeweler that I want to keep it for some days and decide what to do.

This looks to be a lovely color and cut. And I think it's quite a nice size for a 3-stone ring. :)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good to me. Beautiful colour, no window or bowtie. I'd be happy with a stone that looked like that.

It's deep. This gives less face-up area than usual for the weight. But that's not a problem if you are happy with it at the price. (And maybe the depth is contributing to the colour.) You would have to allow for the depth when designing the setting.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! My only worry would be any treatments if it’s a sapphire. If it’s a sapphire can you verify that it’s not BE treated and if it’s BE treated you should only be paying peanuts for it.

Otherwise it’s lovely and definitely not too big at all! I own an 8 carats orange stone!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Hello it's me again

:love:This is a fine stone, beautiful color and a very nice cut.
I would feel very good about it. Definitely make sure it doesn't have BE treatment, heat only is okay.
It will make a lovely three stone with nice presence and it won't be overwhelming.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results