shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 2.76 CT Natural Diamond, Ideal Cut Round

clrslice

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I am new here and in the thick of engagement ring researching mode! Found the PriceScope.com community super helpful so far, and am looking for your thoughts on this ROUND natural diamond I came across.

The IGI Report specs are:

June 2024
Round Brilliant
8.94 - 8.97 x 5.57 MM
- 2.76 Carats
- I Color
- VS 1
- Triple Excellent, IDEAL CUT ROUND BRILLIANT

Table: 57%; Depth 62.2%; Crown 35.2; Pavilion 41; Medium to Slightly Thick (Faceted); 15% above Girdle, 43.5% below Girdle

The HCA score is 2.8
The Stone Algo Cut score is 8.3

Pic.jpg

Also a video link of diamond.

Thoughts, concerns?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
People here would usually recommend that natural diamonds be GIA/AGS certified rather than IGI as IGI can be soft on color/clarity grading. This might be a GIA J/VS2 for example. Note that, even if it is an I, some people can see tint especially in this larger size range and from the side view. You may not notice or you may notice it and not be bothered by it, that's very personal. I very easily see tint in my J but my partner literally can't see the color difference between it and my G even side-by-side.

Additionally, the pavilion is a little steep which leads to some potential light leakage. I can't click your video link (I'm on a plane!) but I'm seeing signs of leakage in the ring around the center in your photo. I'm not an expert, though. Remember that you want an HCA score of 2 or lower unless you have imaging like Idealscope or ASET to confirm that there isn't leakage.

I would strongly suggest getting a GIA diamond, even if you need to go a bit smaller. I also suggest getting a diamond with safer angles or that has been vetted by an expert. A very sparkly and well-cut 2.5 carat diamond will have more visual presence than an average 2.76 carat diamond.

Of course, how picky you should be depends on the price which I don't think you posted. What's your budget? Are you in the US or another country? What kind of setting are you looking for? People who are actually experts can help you find better options.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm in the US, and would like to set the round diamond in a cathedral solitaire platinum setting, with four prongs.

Last edited:
I don't think you posted your budget or your country, which would impact the recommendations.

But if I wanted a top-quality 4 prong cathedral ring, I would go to Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, or Victor Canera.

From Whiteflash:
Diamonds: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search/?carat=2.4,2.99&color=G,J&clarity=VS1,SI2&t=aca

Settings:
I didn't see as many choices in-stock at Brian Gavin and Victor Canera but you could always reach out to ask.

Victor Canera in particular has really nice, handmade settings with subtle details and beautiful craftsmanship:
If I didn't need the perfection of a "super ideal cut" but still wanted to have honest expert eyes on it to ensure the diamond quality, I would reach out to Diamonds by Lauren or ID Jewelry (people here have liked working with Yekutiel). Here are the cathedral solitaires at DbL:
Or you can let the experts here find and vet diamonds for you. Again, I really don't think you should go with that IGI option.

Thank you!

What should I look out for, that makes this diamond not well cut?

- Are the dimensions off?

- Is it the arrows?

- Does the diamond have fish eye?

Last edited:
I would also pass...

Anything in particular of note?

As for the potential light leakage previously mentioned, I was wondering, that given the diamond was not taken totally parallel to the camera lens (holding diamond with tweezers, instead of laying on a totally parallel surface), also evident by this screen shot I took of the video sent,
1729171554872.jpeg

would the slight deviation make the top arrows darker than the bottom arrows?

It’s priced at $18,500

Last edited:
The diamond you posted is poorly cut. You can easily see how the area under the table is lighter than the area around the table. That is leakage where the stone is not reflecting light back to your eye and in fact it’s see through! You don’t want that. It will affect sparkle negatively.

The diamond you posted is poorly cut. You can easily see how the area under the table is lighter than the area around the table. That is leakage where the stone is not reflecting light back to your eye and in fact it’s see through! You don’t want that. It will affect sparkle negatively.

Maybe the angle of the diamond vs the lens not being parallel.

Here is a better picture I snipped from the video

IMG_8850.jpeg

If you post your budget and color/clarity requirements folks on here can suggest well cut stones for you, but without knowing a budget it will be hard to help.

If you post your budget and color/clarity requirements folks on here can suggest well cut stones for you, but without knowing a budget it will be hard to help.

Budget: $25k
Round
Cut / Polish / Symmetry: Excellent
Color: I or better
Clarity: VS2 or better
Carats: 2.6 CT or higher

Thanks!

IMG_8850.jpeg

It's a poorly cut stone. And the IGI cert of an I probably means you can look for a GIA J which will give you more options in your range.

Here are a few perfectly cut I/VS and eye-clean SI diamonds from Whiteflash. These would be like the "super ideal" diamond in the video I linked above. You can call them or email them to ask for a comparison between these diamonds and paying by wire brings them very close to your budget: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...color=F,J&clarity=VS1,SI2&price=0,28000&t=aca

These are definitely much better options and just note that an ideally cut diamond will look larger than a poorly cut stone that is a bit bigger as it will sparkle and have brilliance across the whole stone.

IMG_8850.jpeg

Still not well cut. Sorry!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP