shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucas910

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone -

I''ve been browsing this forum for a little while, and decided to register and post.

I need help finding an engagement ring. Diamond must be round. I can''t decide between white gold / platinum right now. The price of platinum would take away from the money I have for the diamond, as I don''t have an unlimited budget. What alloy of white gold can I look at that won''t yellow (as fast)? I have about $4000 to spend, but might be able to spend a little more if it really meant the difference between something good and something great.

I have been sorting by price to see what I can get. I think the size I''m looking for is around .8 or so. I''ve looked at bluenile, but I like the info provided on jamesallen better. I have done the diamond cut analyzer, and found a couple good ones.

But what else is there? What other sites should I be looking at? Should I be looking at actual stores and comparing also? Or just keep browsing jamesallen and bluenile? I haven''t bought a substantial piece of jewelry before, and don''t want to screw it up.

Hi and welcome to Pricescope! How about something like this in a simple Tiffany setting http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5133/
Good Old Gold and Whiteflash have a great upgrade policy; I would check out the other upgrade policies as well. I like to use this tool to look for stones and select excellent excellent for cut since cut is king https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx also make sure it falls in the AGS 0 catagory for cut.

Lucas,

Welcome to Pricescope!

Skippy''s done you right here...and GOG has a well earned good reputation. I would choose them generally over BN & JA.

Otherwise...though I''d like to favor JA over BN...this time, they don''t seem to have the selection...so between these two...BN has several. Sort for AGS...because they have them, in what you want...so why not!

thanks, I learned from the best Ira.
28.gif
1.gif

Lucas, I bought from WF but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from GOG.

I''ve dealt with Whiteflash and would recommend them to anyone. They''re wonderful!

Skippy - thanks for that link! That diamond got a great score on the cut adviser tool (1). That's the lowest score I've found so far. I looked at whiteflash earlier, but they seemed very expensive. It may have been my search settings though. I'll give them and GOG a try.

Can anyone tell me what's with hearts and arrows vs traditional round cut? Is there a traditional round cut? I'm a bit confused about these.

Ok - so I was just reading about hearts and arrows. Apparently this is the best, am I correct?

Also, that diamond that skippy posted appears to be the best I can find on GOG for the price. How visible will SI1 be with that cut? Also, I'm not finding a return policy on GOG, but I'm guessing that I just can't find it - is there one?

I would also ask about this one - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5038/

It got a .9 on the cut advisor, but I'm not sure if paying that much extra for one step up in color + zero fluorescence is worth it? I actually like how the cheaper one looks better, but it may just be the picture.

this one looks great to me also - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5125/

scored a 1.1. What do you guys think?

Date: 11/24/2008 11:27:41 AM
Author: lucas910
Ok - so I was just reading about hearts and arrows. Apparently this is the best, am I correct? Well it depends, some diamonds that aren''t of top cut quality may show an arrow pattern yet not be the best performers or meet the strict criteria to be considered a true hearts and arrows diamond. Some may prefer a branded H&A cut diamond, others may just want a well cut stone, it depends on what your priorities are. Some of the vendors here such as WF and GOG do offer superbly cut hearts and arrows diamonds which have proved very popular.

Also, that diamond that skippy posted appears to be the best I can find on GOG for the price. How visible will SI1 be with that cut? Also, I''m not finding a return policy on GOG, but I''m guessing that I just can''t find it - is there one? Yes GOG do have a return policy and an upgrade one also. As to whether an SI clarity is eyeclean to your expectations, the only way to know is to ask the vendor who can physically examine the diamond.

I would also ask about this one - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5038/ Looks like a great stone. Also scores under 2 on the cut advisor are considered equal as it isn''t intended to be used to select diamonds. The idea is that in most cases you see which diamonds score 2 or below then evaluate from there using Idealscope images and trusted vendor/ appraiser input. If you have all the info available as with the GOG diamonds then the cut advisor''s use is limited.

It got a .9 on the cut advisor, but I''m not sure if paying that much extra for one step up in color + zero fluorescence is worth it? I actually like how the cheaper one looks better, but it may just be the picture. Depends on your preference and budget, Jon at GOG would gladly discuss the diamonds you are interested in with you to help you make the right choice.

this one looks great to me also - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5125/

scored a 1.1. What do you guys think?

H&A is not necessary the best. It is just a marketing point for excellent optical symmetry. A stone can have excellent optical sysmmetry but still not qualify as a H&A stone, just that they are not marketed and you will not be able to see if a stone is optically symm unless you have a H&A viewer.

The stone that skippy linked to is probably cheaper because of the yellow fluor, which could be detrimental to the overall color grade of the stone in certain lighting while a blue fluor will have the other effect. Medium fluor is not noticeable in most daily viewing conditions. Ask GOG to advise on this stone if you are interested in it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I''m not sure if I want SI1. Also, fluorescence on the linked stone may be an issue. I''m going to continue doing more research. Does anyone have other sites that are reputible? Whiteflash didn''t really have much in the .8-1 range. I''ve also looked at bluenile, GOG, and some at jamesallen.

Date: 11/24/2008 12:10:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure if I want SI1. Also, fluorescence on the linked stone may be an issue. I'm going to continue doing more research. Does anyone have other sites that are reputible? Whiteflash didn't really have much in the .8-1 range. I've also looked at bluenile, GOG, and some at jamesallen.
Just ask Jon the vendor at GOG concerning the fluorescence in this diamond, it may not be an issue or have any adverse affect on the colour as it is a stone which has been hand selected by an expert. Jon will be able to tell you for sure.

Here are some more reputable vendors you can check out.

www.winkjones.com

www.niceice.com

www.pearlmansjewelers.com

YOu are in good hands here. Just as an FYI, a lower score on the cut advisor does not mean a stone is better (ie., .8 versus a 1.1) Anything under 2 is likley going to be great.

Thanks again for the replies - I've read more about the cut adviser and understand it better now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with that. I'll email Jon regarding the diamond I was looking at and see what he has to say about it. Thanks everyone.

update: Emailed Jon. Will check later to see what he says about them. What do you guys think about Bluenile and JamesAllen?

Hey Lucas,
Yes, I would suggest going to various stores to get an idea of what she/you like, and then look on-line for similar settings. I happen to like Knox jewelers
link
You can always find a stone at good old gold, whiteflash, or james allen, and then have it set by wherever you buy the setting.
Good luck with your search!

Date: 11/24/2008 3:01:33 PM
Thanks again for the replies - I''ve read more about the cut adviser and understand it better now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with that. I''ll email Jon regarding the diamond I was looking at and see what he has to say about it. Thanks everyone.

update: Emailed Jon. Will check later to see what he says about them. What do you guys think about Bluenile and JamesAllen?

Don''t love Bluenile because they have no upgrade policy, their customer service is hit or miss, and they are *mostly* drop shippers so they don''t provide a lot of info on their stones.

James Allen is totally fine but they carry a wider array of diamonds than some vendors, so you have to look harder for a winner.

Tuckins - Yeah, I probably will end up buying the diamond separate unless I can find something I really like online. I know what kind of setting she wants, but I''d rather see it in person than with a few angles online.

Neatfreak - I noticed that also with bluenile. I like the selection compared to others I''ve looked at, but they don''t give as much info. Thanks guys!

Date: 11/24/2008 12:10:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I''m not sure if I want SI1. Also, fluorescence on the linked stone may be an issue. I''m going to continue doing more research. Does anyone have other sites that are reputible? Whiteflash didn''t really have much in the .8-1 range. I''ve also looked at bluenile, GOG, and some at jamesallen.
I have an SI1 stone from GOG, and it is completely eye clean. The inclusions are clear crystals and can only be seen with a loop. An eye clean SI1 can be a great deal and save you some $$$.

Unfortunately the one I was looking at on GOG got reserved. But that''s good to know, I''m sure there will be more!

-Any input on why the one I found on JamesAllen is that much cheaper? Is it just because it''s a .79, or is JA cheaper? I like that price and from what I can tell it''s a good diamond. I''d love some of your (very helpful) input.

Just a note, if you find a stone you are thinking of, reserve it FIRST before posting about it here. Lurkers have been known to follow threads and steal away the ones we recommend.
Good luck with the search!!!!

New one on GOG - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5119/

This would replace the one that was reserved - nice price, 1.3 on the cut adviser.

This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

@honey22 - I'm not sure I'm quite ready to buy yet. I definitely will do this when I'm ready to pull the trigger (great advice, I'd hate to lose out on the perfect diamond). Right now I'm sort of still getting the feel for what to look for and what I need - I'm just trying to get feedback on diamonds that I pick to see what I need to learn. Reading feedback on here helps me immensely and I really appreciate it. I've only been seriously looking into anything other than the 4 c's for the past week or so. Lots to learn!

Date: 11/25/2008 1:52:01 AM
New one on GOG - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5119/

This would replace the one that was reserved - nice price, 1.3 on the cut adviser.

This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

@honey22 - I''m not sure I''m quite ready to buy yet. I definitely will do this when I''m ready to pull the trigger (great advice, I''d hate to lose out on the perfect diamond). Right now I''m sort of still getting the feel for what to look for and what I need - I''m just trying to get feedback on diamonds that I pick to see what I need to learn. Reading feedback on here helps me immensely and I really appreciate it. I''ve only been seriously looking into anything other than the 4 c''s for the past week or so. Lots to learn!
This is a lovely diamond!

Date: 11/25/2008 12:55:52 AM
Also:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01363644?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Are the necessary measurements in either of those reports to put into the cut adviser? I wasn''t sure which ones were which.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197306.asp

The price on that one excites me. Sorry about all of these links guys, I can''t help it.

All the numbers looks good, as expected from AGS0 stones. The numbers are there on the AGS report and the GCAL report too. If the numbers are too small, input into the AGSL reportcheck here to get the numbers.

Date: 11/25/2008 12:55:52 AM
Also:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01363644?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Are the necessary measurements in either of those reports to put into the cut adviser? I wasn''t sure which ones were which.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197306.asp

The price on that one excites me. Sorry about all of these links guys, I can''t help it.
With the diamond highlighted, be cautious with this one as it has a grade making SI1 cloud, check whether it is visible with the naked eye or not.

All-

I understand that AGS is the type of report (which as far as I can tell has the highest standards and is thus the best to have) and 0 is the best while 10 is the worst. But when you say AGS0 you''re referring to the cut quality as stated on the AGS report, correct?

Date: 11/25/2008 11:56:07 AM
All-

I understand that AGS is the type of report (which as far as I can tell has the highest standards and is thus the best to have) and 0 is the best while 10 is the worst. But when you say AGS0 you''re referring to the cut quality as stated on the AGS report, correct?
Yes, AGS 0 is their top cut grade awarded to qualifying diamonds. AGS is the name of the lab.

And AGS is the best for some reason?

I'm still a bit unsure about buying online and am just trying to find the differences between online and B&M diamonds. How many labs are there? I've heard of AGS and GIA - basically the two I've seen online. What about the B&Ms?

Basically what I'm asking is in a B&M shop, do they carry AGS diamonds? will AGS diamonds be the best/most expensive?

I'm sorry if I sound like I don't know what's going on - I sort of don't. It's a lot to jump into in just a few days! But you guys have been so helpful - thanks again.

Date: 11/25/2008 12:08:11 PM
And AGS is the best for some reason?

I'm still a bit unsure about buying online and am just trying to find the differences between online and B&M diamonds. How many labs are there? I've heard of AGS and GIA - basically the two I've seen online. What about the B&Ms?

Basically what I'm asking is in a B&M shop, do they carry AGS diamonds? will AGS diamonds be the best/most expensive?

I'm sorry if I sound like I don't know what's going on - I sort of don't. It's a lot to jump into in just a few days! But you guys have been so helpful - thanks again.
GIA Excellent cut grade is broad and can allow for some proportion combinations which may not result in the best performance of a diamond. AGS cut grading is considered to be the ' gold standard' of diamond cut grading. As to the other labs, GIA and AGS are the industry standard, this page goes into detail on how the grading labs rank. There are other labs such as EGL, IGI, HRD to name a few more.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Some brick and mortar stores carry AGS0 cut grade stones, Jareds sell them. You will also find GIA graded diamonds in brick and mortar stores as well as IGI which are often found in mall stores apparently.

I am very glad you have found us helpful, some of us Pricescopers have been doing this a long time and are dedicated to helping folk navigate the diamond buying process! If you do have any questions please feel free to ask, also you can try the search tool at the top right as there is lots of good info in the archives.

AGS is considered the best as their ideal cut grade are significantly tighter than GIA while their grading on color and clarity is consistent with that of GIA.

There are quite a few labs around, some B&M even carries un-graded stones or stones graded by the store-owner or a local appraiser, appraiser lab.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP