shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/25/2008 12:08:11 PM
Author: lucas910
Basically what I''m asking is in a B&M shop, do they carry AGS diamonds? will AGS diamonds be the best/most expensive?

They could carry AGS stone but more usually they carry stones graded by EGL, which is considered looser in color and clarity grading when compared to AGS/GIA. So you could in fact be buying a lower color/clarity graded stone if the stone is graded by GIA/AGS. And as a result, these stones are usually price lower than similar grade stone of AGS/GIA. You can see that when you do a price comparison of the online stones.

Date: 11/25/2008 12:56:22 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 11/25/2008 12:08:11 PM
Basically what I''m asking is in a B&M shop, do they carry AGS diamonds? will AGS diamonds be the best/most expensive?

They could carry AGS stone but more usually they carry stones graded by EGL, which is considered looser in color and clarity grading when compared to AGS/GIA. So you could in fact be buying a lower color/clarity graded stone if the stone is graded by GIA/AGS. And as a result, these stones are usually price lower than similar grade stone of AGS/GIA. You can see that when you do a price comparison of the online stones.
Did you mean to say " you could in fact be buying a lower color/ clarity graded stone if the stone is graded by EGL rather than GIA/ AGS"?

I was wondering the same thing Lorelei!

But everything else makes sense, thanks guys.

Date: 11/25/2008 4:50:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing Lorelei!

But everything else makes sense, thanks guys.
Yes I just wanted to clarify that.

And you are most welcome, very glad to help!
35.gif

Ok, so I feel like I have a much better understanding about stones after reading around here and having my questions answered in this topic. I''m probably looking for a ~.8, F-H color, VS1-2 or maybe SI1. Cut is what I''m really learning about the most and is probably the most important to me. When I''m getting closer to buying time, I''ll ask you guys about it after I''ve put the one I''m interested in on hold.

But let''s talk bands now. I''m tending to not favor platinum as much after seeing the post on worn platinum rings. Neither me nor my girlfriend like the look of platinum after a few months. So I''m thinking white gold is a better option for her. Not only will the saved money be put into a better diamond, but she also likes the look better. If I have it all wrong (different platinum alloys?) feel free to re-direct my research.

But I have some concerns about white gold. One is the yellowing after the plating wears off. What alloys will prevent this? Can I request these alloys on a site like whiteflash? From my limited understanding, 14k will tend to not yellow as much as it has less gold in it (vs 18k).

My other questions would be can I get a white gold band with a platinum setting? Is that even recommended if possible, or is the gold strong enough on its own? Again, what about online retailers? I''m sort of unsure about getting a band online, because it''s a bit harder for me to actually tell what it will look like and if she''ll like it. What is the price/quality difference of buying the band at a B&M? Will they be offended if I bring a diamond from the internet and have them set it?

Date: 11/26/2008 2:49:17 AM
Ok, so I feel like I have a much better understanding about stones after reading around here and having my questions answered in this topic. I''m probably looking for a ~.8, F-H color, VS1-2 or maybe SI1. Cut is what I''m really learning about the most and is probably the most important to me. When I''m getting closer to buying time, I''ll ask you guys about it after I''ve put the one I''m interested in on hold. That sounds like an excellent plan and your proposed specs for colour and clarity are good too.

But let''s talk bands now. I''m tending to not favor platinum as much after seeing the post on worn platinum rings. Neither me nor my girlfriend like the look of platinum after a few months. So I''m thinking white gold is a better option for her. Not only will the saved money be put into a better diamond, but she also likes the look better. If I have it all wrong (different platinum alloys?) feel free to re-direct my research.

But I have some concerns about white gold. One is the yellowing after the plating wears off. What alloys will prevent this? Can I request these alloys on a site like whiteflash? From my limited understanding, 14k will tend to not yellow as much as it has less gold in it (vs 18k). I would check with WF concerning this, I have had various WG rings and earrings over the years and not had a problem with them yellowing at all, yet I read about a person now and then here who does have a problem with this. However the piece can be redone.

My other questions would be can I get a white gold band with a platinum setting? Is that even recommended if possible, or is the gold strong enough on its own? Again, what about online retailers? I''m sort of unsure about getting a band online, because it''s a bit harder for me to actually tell what it will look like and if she''ll like it. What is the price/quality difference of buying the band at a B&M? Will they be offended if I bring a diamond from the internet and have them set it? I believe you can but I generally hear WG band and head should be durable enough, I would check with your vendor when you decide which rock to get. As to having a jeweller set the diamond you have bought online, this can be done but do clarify should any loss or damage happen to the stone ( rare) if the jeweller will take responsibility, not all will with a diamond they didn''t sell.

Ok guys - a few more questions. Well, maybe not a few. But more questions for sure.

My basic question is this: Is there one website or jeweler that sells ''the best diamonds?'' Or does it just depend what you can find. I''m talking WF vs. B&M, for example.

Follow up questions include: Am I over thinking where I buy? I do have concerns with buying online, despite all that I have read here. Could I find the same quality with a similar price in a B&M?

You can find the same quality in BM stores but you need to know your stuff or they are going to take you. All diamonds look good in BM stores. As for price, you will lilkly pay up to 3-7% more for the same diamond that you could get online. I have never come accross a BM store that has a lower price.....That has been my experience. WF, Good old gold, james allen are great stores. Why? becasue you have upgrade policies, all the charts and reports, 1 year buy back up to 70% (WF) and great customer service. I am biased towards WF though :) BM stores tend to sell everything and really do not know as much as many people on this forum do. Yhey often pull old reports, and use words like excellent or ideal when they have no clue what they are talking about. Alot of people get fooled in BM stores becasue the lighting is so good and they think the stone is the best when in fact it could be a dud. As long as you stick to the above online people, I am sure you will not be satisfied. Other members may suggest others as well. People on here will give you honest advice, people at BM stores are hit and miss.. Good luck

I would have to say my preference (and yes I am biased) is Whiteflash, however if I couldn''t find the perfect stone there I wouldn''t hesitate to puchase a H&A round from Goodoldgold.

You are not going to find a stone that is as well cut at a B&M for the same price or cheaper. They have overheads etc etc to pay for. You also don''t get the information from a B&M that you can get online, ie. IS images, ASET images etc.

If you want to buy the best, sparkliest stone and get the best bang for your buck, then online is the best way. If you want to have the attention of someone standing in front of you and being able to see the stone in person, go the B&M. That said however, we have seem posters here dead set on having to see the stone with their own eyes and post here with a poorer cut (ie. less sparkly) stone that they could have got online. I know it''s daunting at first, but it''s really safe and you won''t regret it, providing you use a PS vendor though. We are not talking EBAY here!!!!

ETA - when the time comes to purchase, let us know your budget and what kind of setting you are looking for and we can come up with some great stones. You won''t have to worry, you will get plenty of help around here! We love this kind of stuff
3.gif

Thanks guys.

What about payments with online stores? I''d rather use a credit card for protection purposes - Is this an issue? Sales tax (Ohio)?

They take all credit cards and sometimes even paypal. Nice to get those credit card points :) If you use WF, you get a pricescope discount too so be sure to tell them.... I think sales tax is only an issue if you buy from a store located in ohio. Otherwise you are fine and will not need to pay. However, I am only 99.9% sure of that :)

Hi lucas910!

I noticed your post and thought I would offer my (minimal) experience thus far. I am also in OH and recently finalized my purchase decision. Based on your posts, our overall search has been very similar as far as budget, diamond picks and vendor selection. Actually I made my first post here just a few days prior to yours.

I would like to apologize though. I do believe that we both were reviewing the same diamonds from GOG. In fact I was the one that reserved the .85ct diamond that was referred to earlier in this thread. Here''s the link to my post

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-from-the-pricescope-pros.100409/

Since I have opted not to purchase the .85ct from GOG. I decided that the yellow florescence of that diamond was not for me (GOGs honest and detailed help regarding this was greatly appreciated). I also wanted to note that I was not intentionally lurking in attempt to grab a diamond based on other user interests. I know how confusing it can be when looking at several diamonds from different vendors and there is nothing more frustrating than narrowing down a choice only to find it is no longer available.

My searching of online vendors came down to 2 choices - WF and GOG. I have made my decision and decided to go with GOG. That decision is primarily based on the current inventory and available selections. It is apparent that both vendors have a great deal of respect and a great reputation with the pricescope community.

My experience with GOG thus far as been excellent. I plan to update my post once the transaction has been completed and I receive the ring. As far as the deposit, with GOG you have nothing to lose when reserving a diamond so that option can be utilized to help with a sense security (as mentioned earlier). As for the payment, I used a credit card for the initial deposit and then wired the remaining balance via my bank so I could receive the wire discount. I was not charged sales tax making the purchase from OH. (please note: my experience is limited to GOG therefore, I can''t speak for WF)

I owe everything thus far to the pricescope members that took the time to help and respond to my post. I do not have the experience to help you like the the other members here, but if you have any questions as far as my experience please don''t hesitate to ask. Best of luck on your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP