shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond purchase

Ashley Hoffman

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing this diamond. I have been reviewing diamonds now for the last 1-2 months, researching precision cuts and hearts and arrows patterns, learning about complementary crown angles and pavilion angles, table and depth percentages and everything in between. I’ve been looking at many different options from online vendors to local jewelry stores.

I have found this diamond which may work well and it is in my price range. The pavilion angle is on the high side for this crown angle though, and the surface graining needs to be evaluated in person. I am to see it soon to evaluate the stone on an in house ASET viewer at a local jewelry store since no electronic image is available and see if the surface graining is any issue.

Based on the GIA report and this only high definition still image that is available, would this diamond give you pause to purchase or could it be a good option?

What advice can you give to evaluate surface graining? What magnification is best and what lighting situations to use? If there is surface graining, do I need to worry about internal graining if it’s not mentioned on the GIA report?
IMG_3302.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpeg
    IMG_3301.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 56
it's not well executed cut.... Also has a black crystal on the table (see video) so might not be eye clean... The off cut and table crystal should be reflected in a heavily discounted $ price vs other non Fluor D Si1....

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

What makes you say the cut is not well executed? I’d love to learn. Thanks!

why don't you give us your size, color, clarity requirements and budget and people will be happy to look for you and perhaps suggest something that they think is better.

I am looking for 1.5 carat and D color. I am really sensitive to color and want a D because I have my ring mounted in a Tiffany solitaire setting where I can appreciate the color well. E color could be an option but D would be preferred. I want as best clarity that my budget allows with staying within the parameters above. My budget is 22-25k or around that price point.

I have looked through whiteflash, brown Gavin, blue Nile, James Allen. The diamond in my original post was one a local jeweler recommended.

Are you willing to share your budget and 4C "wants"? There are so many amazing, helpful members who can help you get a well cut, sparkler.

We were typing at the same time :lol-2:

I’m assuming these areas tell you the cut is not well executed?
it's not well executed cut.... Also has a black crystal on the table (see video) so might not be eye clean... The off cut and table crystal should be reflected in a heavily discounted $ price vs other non Fluor D Si1....

IMG_3302.jpeg

Did you see this one on the Whiteflash website?

This diamond seems nice! It was graded in 2022. Would that indicate any issues that it’s been on the market for this long?

Great find. Definitely better than the one from the local jeweler.

I am looking for 1.5 carat and D color. I am really sensitive to color and want a D because I have my ring mounted in a Tiffany solitaire setting where I can appreciate the color well. E color could be an option but D would be preferred.

So is this new stone an upgrade? It sounds like you already have a solitaire so just wondering if you are planning on keeping the stone that you have, or perhaps trading it in as part of an upgrade or making a second solitaire? Also, if your current stone is not a super ideal cut, like an ACA you may find that an E in an ACA looks white enough for you, which would probably give you more options.

So is this new stone an upgrade? It sounds like you already have a solitaire so just wondering if you are planning on keeping the stone that you have, or perhaps trading it in as part of an upgrade or making a second solitaire? Also, if your current stone is not a super ideal cut, like an ACA you may find that an E in an ACA looks white enough for you, which would probably give you more options.

And there is this E color: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...lor-vvs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-sku-a4553593

Yes, this is an upgrade for an anniversary.

No, it could have been bought and traded back in. Not everyone is willing to pay for a D colored diamond so it may not have ever sold. It is a beautiful diamond though!

Thank you! Also, do you know if I would have to be worried about the pinpoints not shown possibly causing any cloudiness?

Definitely ask Whiteflash all of your questions! They'll be happy to help you make a decision and I'm sure they can take photos/videos for you of the two suggested stones side-by-side. It's one of the huge advantages of purchasing from a super knowledgeable and well-regarded company. They won't lie to you just to make a sale.

Thank you! Also, do you know if I would have to be worried about the pinpoints not shown possibly causing any cloudiness?

No, pinpoints are very small and in a VS1 diamond, I wouldn’t worry about them. They are not in the plot of the stone so not large enough or enough of them to be included in the plot. Whiteflash can answer all of your questions though so I would ask them their thoughts. All ACA diamonds are in-house so they can look at each diamond. They can also do videos - like one comparing the D and the E diamond.

No, pinpoints are very small and in a VS1 diamond, I wouldn’t worry about them. They are not in the plot of the stone so not large enough or enough of them to be included in the plot. Whiteflash can answer all of your questions though so I would ask them their thoughts. All ACA diamonds are in-house so they can look at each diamond. They can also do videos - like one comparing the D and the E diamond.

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, how does whiteflash ACA diamonds compare to hearts on fire branded diamonds? Do you think hearts on fire does anything special or extra to make their stones have more brilliance or fire for the extra cost they are compared to others?

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, how does whiteflash ACA diamonds compare to hearts on fire branded diamonds? Do you think hearts on fire does anything special or extra to make their stones have more brilliance or fire for the extra cost they are compared to others?

No, and Whiteflash can show and tell you about their process of selecting and testing their diamonds. Hearts on Fire diamonds used to be more expensive and yet I don’t think their vetting process was as selective as WF is. Whiteflash also has a trade in policy - not sure about HOF.

Thank you for your help. I've contacted WhiteFlash and they have been excellent on the phone. I was able to get comparison videos and to have them check for fluorescence. I will be making the purchase of this stone very soon and am excited to see how it looks in person!

Thank you for your help. I've contacted WhiteFlash and they have been excellent on the phone. I was able to get comparison videos and to have them check for fluorescence. I will be making the purchase of this stone very soon and am excited to see how it looks in person!

Very happy for you! They are a wonderful company to deal with - you won’t be disappointed. Please take lots of pictures for us when you receive the diamond.
Do you have the comparison videos to share here? Would love to see them.

Both stones are branded ideal. Both are absolutely gorgeous. You can’t go wrong with either. I do think the Whiteflash upgrade policy is less restrictive. Both are great companies to work with!

Just out of curiosity, this diamond came up today on Brian Gavins website. Which diamond do you think seems to have the most fire and best cut compared to the D color whiteflash diamond linked above? https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...roducts/1-55-d-vs1-black-by-brian-gavin-round

Those two diamonds look very much alike to me. Brian Gavin was at Whiteflash for a number of years, so no surprise that they choose diamonds of very similar cut quality. Flip a coin; they are that close.

Those two diamonds look very much alike to me. Brian Gavin was at Whiteflash for a number of years, so no surprise that they choose diamonds of very similar cut quality. Flip a coin; they are that close.

Thank you! On the AGS report for the Brian Gavin Diamond, there are blue splotches of contrast in the center whereas the WhiteFlash Diamond does not have these. Does that mean anything in regards to light return?

On the Brian Gavin diamond, there are "additional clouds and pinpoints not shown" written on the cert. On a VS1, I doubt that would cause cloudiness but curious of your thoughts?

I know these two are very similar in cut style and price, and I am probably splitting hairs at this point, but this is such an important purchase that I don't want to mess it up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.01.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.01.31 PM.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 5
This is from the Whiteflash diamond. I see three images - the middle looking like the Brian Gavin diamond. Perhaps I am missing what you are talking about?
I still think they are extremely close in appearance. The comments on the Brian Gavin GIA cert are mentioned but not part of the plotted inclusions. Therefore I would not expect them to be an issue at all - particularly in a VS1 diamond.
IMG_0920.png

Last edited:
This is from the Whiteflash diamond. I see three images - the middle looking like the Brian Gavin diamond. Perhaps I am missing what you are talking about?
IMG_0920.png

I thought the picture I posted was supposed to look like the farthest to the left when looking at the ASET images you posted. I don't know what the difference between the image on the farthest left and middle image are on the picture you posted of the WhiteFlash diamond.

I thought the picture I posted was supposed to look like the farthest to the left when looking at the ASET images you posted. I don't know what the difference between the image on the farthest left and middle image are on the picture you posted of the WhiteFlash diamond.

The Whiteflash diamond has an AGS cert. AGS merged with GIA late last year. I assume that the former AGS certs featured three images as opposed to the AGS supplemental cert of today. I believe they are all computer generated images. I do not believe there is any sugnificance difference in the images. If you have seen the video of the Whiteflash diamond, that should put your concerns to some rest. While I understand your need to get it right, you can also fall prey to ‘analysis paralysis’. Pick your vendor, pick your diamond. Pick your diamond, pick your vendor. That is my honest opinion.

Thank you! Analysis paralysis is a great description for what I am feeling right now. Lol.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP