shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with unusual external feather inclusion?

cpc1997

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello! I am new here and I have a question about my engagement ring. I love my ring and I feel bad asking about this because I am so lucky to have a ring like this, but on my diamond there is a feather that was marked by GIA but if I run my fingernail along it, it gets caught every time and it is very much external or surface reaching. My question is- is this normal? Should I get it repolished? I don’t want it to lose that much weight. If I look at it with my naked eye it is so small it can’t really be seen but under the loop it looks like a crack and I am scared one day it will cause my stone to break if hit wrong. Please let me know your thoughts I have attached images. Thank you so much IMG_0563.png

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0565.png
    IMG_0565.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5519.jpeg
    IMG_5519.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 39
Feathers by GIA definition reach the surface - so that’s normal.

‘Normal’ to feel them with fingernail - I think so but not all do. Sometimes they develop an additional chip/cavity along the crack - so depends on whether you are feeling the crack or the chip?

Is it insured?
If a diamond is hit hard enough to cause damage it might happen whether there’s a feather or not.

If you don’t want to lose weight/size - then you shouldn’t look into getting it recut to remove the feather(s). You also aren’t guaranteed having anything in the end. Except the cutting cost?

If the diamond is not ‘mind clean’ then you need to do what you need to do to make it so. A higher clarity grade or a feather in a different area. I’m not sure someone randomly telling you it’ll be fine will be enough. No way to tell what knock/hit/drop will be disastrous on any diamond - no matter the inclusion or lack of.

I have a S12 feather in a size/location that plenty of people here wouldn’t consider mind clean. I know there’s no guarantee. I gamble. The price (and all over look as it’s an antique) was right.

JMO
Maybe an expert will say different.

Someone close to me had a diamond with an eye visible feather.
I1 max if it had a report.
I was dropped into a sink and 1/2 the stone shattered.
The side with the feather looked brand new the other 1/2 was chunks and dust.
I haven't worried about the majority of feathers since other than near points of princess and pear cuts.
A cavity with a large feather is another.

Someone close to me had a diamond with an eye visible feather.
I1 max if it had a report.
I was dropped into a sink and 1/2 the stone shattered.
The side with the feather looked brand new the other 1/2 was chunks and dust.
I haven't worried about the majority of feathers since other than near points of princess and pear cuts.
A cavity with a large feather is another.

So GIA didn’t call it an external inclusion, they called it a feather. I can feel it with my fingernail but if I look at the diamond it is nearly impossible to see without a loupe.

‘Normal’ to feel them with fingernail - I think so but not all do. Sometimes they develop an additional chip/cavity along the crack - so depends on whether you are feeling the crack or the chip?

Is it insured?
If a diamond is hit hard enough to cause damage it might happen whether there’s a feather or not.

If you don’t want to lose weight/size - then you shouldn’t look into getting it recut to remove the feather(s). You also aren’t guaranteed having anything in the end. Except the cutting cost?

If the diamond is not ‘mind clean’ then you need to do what you need to do to make it so. A higher clarity grade or a feather in a different area. I’m not sure someone randomly telling you it’ll be fine will be enough. No way to tell what knock/hit/drop will be disastrous on any diamond - no matter the inclusion or lack of.

I have a S12 feather in a size/location that plenty of people here wouldn’t consider mind clean. I know there’s no guarantee. I gamble. The price (and all over look as it’s an antique) was right.

JMO

Thank you! So my diamond is a SI1 and it is a D color and totally eye clean. I am just wondering why I can feel my fingernail snag on the feather. Like is it so surface reaching that it is exposed? I worry about it being a chip later on:(

Is it insured?

JMO

Also on my GIA cert it lists a natural but doesn’t have it plotted on my chart. There’s no chance that it’s the feather? Wouldn’t the line be green?

Also on my GIA cert it lists a natural but doesn’t have it plotted on my chart. There’s no chance that it’s the feather? Wouldn’t the line be green?
report #?

Compare the chart on your hard copy to what’s online @ GIA
It’s on the very tip of the pear.

Compare the chart on your hard copy to what’s online @ GIA
It’s on the very tip of the pear.

The Gia number is 2211271095 what do you think?

Medium Blue D ! Nice !!!!!

1728491692176.png

Medium Blue D ! Nice !!!!!

1728491692176.png

Thank you!!:) it is so pretty so I feel bad asking but I’m worried about the exposed feather. Where is the natural on the map?

the Natural is right at the point / tip

1728493385340.png

Let me put it this way if it where mine I would not worry about it.
I would insure it like any other stone of that value and enjoy it.

Take it on a around your world tour and play with it in as many light conditions as possible as you go through your day.
Remember the ones where it blings the most so you can go there again and bling out.

Is it insured?

JMO

But if feathers are surface reaching wouldn’t that mean breaking the surface? I don’t see a chip or cavity plotted on my cert

But if feathers are surface reaching wouldn’t that mean breaking the surface? I don’t see a chip or cavity plotted on my cert

Chips, cavities and feathers are different types of inclusions.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP