shape
carat
color
clarity

How do people feel about getting a "traded-in" diamond?

juno26

Rough_Rock
I'm generally curious how people feel if they find out that the diamond they are buying for an engagement ring has been "traded-in" previously. My SO just bought a diamond from Whiteflash ACA and we happened to find an old pricescope thread from 5 years ago where someone bought the EXACT same diamond, the AGS report contains exactly the same numbers, including all the dimensions, clarity, color, etc. The AGS report number is the same and the link to the diamond is the same link we bought from. The only difference is the AGS report got refreshed for the current diamond we bought so the date changed to a more recent date on the report.

We know it's probably impossible to know whether you're getting a "virgin" ("new") diamond or not in the trade, however I'm just curious how people in general feel about this? We just happen to have proof that the diamond we bought is a traded-in diamond, and can't help but feel like it's a "used" diamond even though most diamonds are probably sold like this anyways. Maybe it's just a psychology thing haha.

We got a ~3ct and plan to never upgrade so hopefully we can pass it down.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Someone - Edahn Golan?- said practically every diamond ever mined is still in existence, in a vault, on a hand, etc. I like this, I'm happy to be the next steward. And thank you, juno26, for letting me know the top ones go back to the top. What, two billion years plus five more?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the fact that diamonds have a history and provenance. Considering diamonds were made so many million years ago, it's unlikely that you're the first owner of any given diamond. So many of us here love diamonds and love upgrading. Personally l love that these diamonds had a life before it came into our possession, and I sure as well hope that when the time comes that we could pass this onto someone (either by selling or inheriting it) who will continue to enjoy and treasure the diamond as much as I did.

I guess if you don't want used then you could buy a lab diamond?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are already millions of years old and if previously owned who cares. It would be very rare that you could even be sure that it had been previously set by someone else. You’d have to be able to find who had shared the GIA number to a forum, like PS, and then come across the same GIA numbered diamond. So not a common occurrence. As someone who loves antique jewellery for its history, I’m all for pieces and diamonds that have been loved on time and time again.
If you want totally “fresh”, get a lab diamond, it won’t be more than a few years old!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea where my spouse's ER diamond came from -- just some folded piece of paper in a diamond-district "boiler room" decades ago. Now so much is knowable it's practically a curse. We can follow our missed opportunities and favorite unaffordable jewels from vendor to auction to vendor... :P2

If I knew for a fact that a diamond was the product of some profound unhappiness -- not even sudden tragedy but long-time unhappiness -- it might color my perception. But anonymity? No.

We respect the past and make things new. It's almost an honor to be the next steward.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see which diamond you selected!! Exciting!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont care in the least. I guess if it's important to someone they could ask the vendor and see if they can get that information.

I feel like my diamonds will outlive me (and may have outlived the previous owners). Kind of like the circle of life for diamonds.

3 carats...Wow! Please do post pictures in the SMTB forum. Would love to see it!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only do I not mind, sometimes it leads to a great deal/find. Just bought a branded Lucére diamond on JA which I assume is traded in since I don’t know how else it would have gotten into their inventory. But it’s a hard cut to come across so I’m psyched!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think most people think about it. I don't think it's exactly the same as purchasing a completed ring, where some might not like the fact that it isn't "special" for their engagement. But since many of us like antique jewelry, that also isn't often an issue. The only way to guarantee that no one has owned your mined diamond before is to have one custom cut from rough, or buy a lab diamond that you know was just grown, since those can be purchased second hand as well.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would not bother me at all. I’m guessing said Pricescoper traded, up so there is no bad juju on the ring. Think of it as pre loved rather than used.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
As far as I’m considered…. Every diamond was made by Mother Earth, they are and will always be “her’s”. I am simply a caretaker of one of her beautiful creations, regardless if I am the first, second, or third ❤️

…. I consider it a privilege to be a second or third owner of a piece, something that beautiful should never be tucked away and forgotten.
“Nobody puts baby in a corner”:lol-2:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My original engagement stone is from an estate lot. My now dh and were ecstatic to score it because it enabled us to get a 2.85 ct versus the 2.25 cts that the jeweler brought for us to see.

Now I buy old cuts almost exclusively-so I am here for all the trade-ins :lol:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This is a diamond, not a bathing suit. Who cares who owned it before. The only thing I’d care about is that I receive it in perfect condition, seeing as the vendor probably charged full retail price for it. If it’s from whiteflash, I’d assume they made sure if it.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My old cut belonged to someone else from the 1800s to early 1900s until 2016. I am happy to love it too. Even many "newer" cut used to be an old cut that was recut.

As long as the diamond was recertified in it's current condition, it does not matter. I don't think anyone sells diamonds that never belonged to anyone else.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very important to be the first owner of a diamond. It is the only way you can be sure there is no bad juju.

Please send me your used diamond so that I may keep it safely away from others. This is a free service I offer to all PSers. :halo:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone - Edahn Golan?- said practically every diamond ever mined is still in existence, in a vault, on a hand, etc. I like this, I'm happy to be the next steward. And thank you, juno26, for letting me know the top ones go back to the top. What, two billion years plus five more?

i know of some that are probably in landfill after a terrible accident having a spring clean :confused:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think most people think about it. I don't think it's exactly the same as purchasing a completed ring, where some might not like the fact that it isn't "special" for their engagement. But since many of us like antique jewelry, that also isn't often an issue. The only way to guarantee that no one has owned your mined diamond before is to have one custom cut from rough, or buy a lab diamond that you know was just grown, since those can be purchased second hand as well.

i never thought about it till right now
however the trade up thing hasnt really caught on here so i would exspect a diamond from the jewller to be brand spanking new so food for thought for me
i dont dislike the idea but if i was spending mega bucks on a diamond from a bricks and mortar id want a new one

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It is very important to be the first owner of a diamond. It is the only way you can be sure there is no bad juju.

Please send me your used diamond so that I may keep it safely away from others. This is a free service I offer to all PSers. :halo:

not all heroes wear capes

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in my 20s, starry eyed and in love, I would have had a HUGE issue with a trade in diamond. Oh the horror!

These days, none whatsoever as long as I’m getting a deal from it (still very much in love just very pragmatic)! When you like giant rings like I do, the right price is more important than the romance behind the stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to add for OP that it’s understandable you might feel weirded out by this situation. If you are new to diamonds and don’t necessarily know how the industry works or you aren’t a collector of antiques like so many of us, it might feel strange to own a “used diamond”. So you aren’t weird for having these thoughts. But as other have said, we don’t actually know the history of any diamond we buy, retail or otherwise. It spoils the romance I’m sure, to know how the sausage is made. But it’s really no big deal!

principesse

Rough_Rock
I think that\s a good question. How does it work? Is the new buyer told the diamond was traded in or does the jeweller just not mention that. To me, as long as the diamond has not bee damaged, it makes absolutely no difference. If the diamond fits the specs I'm looking for, then why not?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine’s an old cut, so I know it’s been previously owned - I actually know the previous owner, but who knows how many other people have owned it. Do I care? Absolutely not, it’s a stunning diamond, and that’s all I care about.

juno26

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies! We definitely don't think of it in a bad way, but it was definitely a revelation and a thought that we didn't think of before. We were just curious about the history of the stone and asked our contact at Whiteflash and apparently the diamond was bought and traded-in a few more times! Seems like the period of wear for this diamond has remained about 1-2 years for each person until they traded up.

Regardless, we got the stone and it's beautiful. This was our first experience with diamonds for engagement ring shopping and this is the one and only diamond we plan to have since there's a lot of sentimental value involved as an engagement ring. It's been a long process for us and we keep learning new things about the diamond industry everyday! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results