clarity

How do you pronounce "Marquise"?

How do you pronounce "Marquise"?

• Mar- keese

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Mar- kee

Votes: 42 57.5%

• Total voters
I refer to the stone shape as "mar-kee" - and my favorite RHR has a .75 marquise-shaped diamond, so it's not like it never comes up.

To compound the error, one of my favorite silver plate flatware patterns is "Marquise" by Rogers 1847- I like it so much that I gave my brother and SIL a huge set - and I also pronounced that "mar-kee."

And I've flunked French more than once :tongue: , so I know better

So shoot me. :D

Thanks Deb! Your niece sounds a lot like me, actually. I spent a year in France as a teaching assistant in a very similar program, and I have lived in Brazil and Venezuela for some time. I speak French, Portuguese and Spanish. I learned some Persian when I dated a guy from Iran (while I was living in France, no less), and can also speak a little Hindi and Arabic (just because it's fun). I now work for a large chain of foreign language schools and have done some coursework (mostly summer institutes) in Linguistics. My original goal was to study Linguistics, focus on child language acquisition and get into research and curriculum design, textbook writing, etc. Ultimately, I decided I wanted to teach. So I am about 75% of the way through a Masters in Teaching Program, which again sounds similar to what your niece did! I will get an MA and a teaching credential when I graduate. Unfortunately, I'm at a standstill for the moment and taking the semester off. All I have left in my program is my student teaching requirement, but I can't do that without quitting my current job. My fiance was recently laid off from his job, and we are planning a wedding and saving to buy our house, so I can't really quit my job at the moment. I am hoping to go back and finish next year. I can't wait to get into the classroom!

blacksand|1347556272|3267579 said:
I learned some Persian when I dated a guy from Iran (while I was living in France, no less)

Indeed I think that you and my niece, Amanda, are sisters under the skin, blacksand! I wish you and she could meet. She met her Senegalese boyfriend while she was living in Spain, and he speaks no English although he speaks French, Spanish, and Wolof. You met your Persian boyfriend while living in France and learned Farsi. How many women go to Spain and learn Wolof or go to France and learn Farsi? I think the group must be quite select!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP