shape
carat
color
clarity

how long did you wait for your cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/22/2009 12:28:31 AM
Author: Rhino
Hi sweetpea,

Just curious ... why do you want an 8 mained cushion? Is it the splintery appearance that draws you?

im not sure, i am just drawn to the 8-main brilliants. they sort of remind me of the brilliance in rounds but in a more square shape. i know the H&As at GOG mimic the brilliance of a round, but those are out of my price range for the size I''d like. I just also feel like the pavilion structure "fills" in the center while with the 4-mains, you can see where the 4 pavilions are. I''m certainly not an expert on diamonds and the terms used to describe their performance, but i like the sparkle in the 8-mains over 4-mains, and am generally not very attracted to the chunky cushion look which i say not to offend anyone, but just as a personal preference.

Date: 11/22/2009 12:29:46 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
If it is not too personal of a question, what is your remaining budget for the setting? We might be able to find you some options! Prices from custom jewelers can range greatly so you still might be able to find something within the range.

We were suppose to sell the other diamond since we purchased a new one as the engagement diamond. I am too attached to the first one to give it up .. I guess I am more sentimental than I though.

charmypoo, not at all too personal! some people are weird with sharing costs and money, but in reality we all know engagement rings cost a good chunk of money, some can afford more than others, that''s just the way it is. anyway, right now my bf says he can comfortably afford 12K without freaking out (and i know he has the money, so putting it all on credit is not going to happen). mark quoted the stone $10,925 bankwire. if we want to split it say cash and credit, a 3% fee applies to whatever we put on credit. the cost on bluenile was $11,588. so really, we are putting everything into the stone, and mark was saying that if we get this stone, we can realistically only afford a plain setting in white gold or platinum.

my custom ring wouldn''t be that complicated. i''d want a thin band (~1.7mm) with micropave that goes only 70-75% around the band, surprise garnets on the ring profile, and engraving. nothing too blingy, but something very personable and close to our hearts. no micropave on the two profile sides, and nothing on the prongs. would that be considered a complex project? mark quoted 2-3K for something like that.

Hi sweetpea,

I'm not the only one up late tonight eh?
9.gif

Date: 11/22/2009 1:07:18 AM
Author: sweetpea&babycorn

Hi sweetpea,

Just curious ... why do you want an 8 mained cushion? Is it the splintery appearance that draws you?

im not sure, i am just drawn to the 8-main brilliants. they sort of remind me of the brilliance in rounds but in a more square shape.
I understand what you're saying. I've seen some very beautiful 8 mained cushions though the ones with the highest brightness/contrast can be toughies to locate. There are times I've had to had to have over 10 diamonds shipped in just to find one that I could recommend with a clear conscience. Just something that you should be aware of though that I believe may help you. In 8 mained cushions that are cut to the right proportions (and not vintage/chunky appearance) they give off a brightness and contrast pattern that focuses on longer more splintery flashes of light. In spot lighting, very sparkly with the emphasis again on many smaller flashes mixed with some bigger ones. What you may not be aware of is that this same optical phenomena can be acheived with 4 mained cushions. Have you ever seen a 4 mained cushion alongside of an 8 mained cushion when both are cut to maximize their optics?

i know the H&As at GOG mimic the brilliance of a round, but those are out of my price range for the size I'd like.
The square cushion H&A's are the most valuable cushions we feature. They are priced the way they are because the original rough is cut away to the point of the same exact angles as an Ideal round (34.5/40.8) plus the level of precision to which they are cut on a facet by facet basis producing the precise H&A optical symmetry. You can't compare their value to a standard cushion. To see another product comparable you'd need to compare it to the Tiffany Novo (which may not even be cut better). You may indeed be able to get one but just like everything else in diamonds people compromise in one area to attain something in another. For a person who is drawn to those optics (which are incredible) there is nothing comparable and I've seen some factories trying to knock it off already.

Since you are open to other modern facet structured cushions this opens up more options for you of course. The challenge of course lies in finding one that'll hold its own in beauty. That is not impossible though it is not always easy.

I just also feel like the pavilion structure 'fills' in the center while with the 4-mains, you can see where the 4 pavilions are. I'm certainly not an expert on diamonds and the terms used to describe their performance, but i like the sparkle in the 8-mains over 4-mains,
You should see an 8 vs a 4, both cut for nice optics and see if you still have that hard preference for the 8 after making the comparison. If after seeing that comparison you decide a 4 is just fine ... well ... that would make the search a little easier. If you saw the comparison and absolutely did not like the 4 ... well ... then you're back to square one.
41.gif

and am generally not very attracted to the chunky cushion look which i say not to offend anyone, but just as a personal preference.
LOL... no offense taken whatsoever! There are many people who share your preference for modern facet structure. In fact its another project on my plate.
34.gif

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Date: 11/22/2009 1:43:07 AM
Hi sweetpea,

I'm not the only one up late tonight eh?
9.gif

Date: 11/22/2009 1:07:18 AM

Hi sweetpea,

im not sure, i am just drawn to the 8-main brilliants. they sort of remind me of the brilliance in rounds but in a more square shape.
I understand what you're saying. I've seen some very beautiful 8 mained cushions though the ones with the highest brightness/contrast can be toughies to locate. There are times I've had to had to have over 10 diamonds shipped in just to find one that I could recommend with a clear conscience. Just something that you should be aware of though that I believe may help you. In 8 mained cushions that are cut to the right proportions (and not vintage/chunky appearance) they give off a brightness and contrast pattern that focuses on longer more splintery flashes of light. In spot lighting, very sparkly with the emphasis again on many smaller flashes mixed with some bigger ones. What you may not be aware of is that this same optical phenomena can be acheived with 4 mained cushions. Have you ever seen a 4 mained cushion alongside of an 8 mained cushion when both are cut to maximize their optics?

i know the H&As at GOG mimic the brilliance of a round, but those are out of my price range for the size I'd like.
The square cushion H&A's are the most valuable cushions we feature. They are priced the way they are because the original rough is cut away to the point of the same exact angles as an Ideal round (34.5/40.8) plus the level of precision to which they are cut on a facet by facet basis producing the precise H&A optical symmetry. You can't compare their value to a standard cushion. To see another product comparable you'd need to compare it to the Tiffany Novo (which may not even be cut better). You may indeed be able to get one but just like everything else in diamonds people compromise in one area to attain something in another. For a person who is drawn to those optics (which are incredible) there is nothing comparable and I've seen some factories trying to knock it off already.

Since you are open to other modern facet structured cushions this opens up more options for you of course. The challenge of course lies in finding one that'll hold its own in beauty. That is not impossible though it is not always easy.

I just also feel like the pavilion structure 'fills' in the center while with the 4-mains, you can see where the 4 pavilions are. I'm certainly not an expert on diamonds and the terms used to describe their performance, but i like the sparkle in the 8-mains over 4-mains,
You should see an 8 vs a 4, both cut for nice optics and see if you still have that hard preference for the 8 after making the comparison. If after seeing that comparison you decide a 4 is just fine ... well ... that would make the search a little easier. If you saw the comparison and absolutely did not like the 4 ... well ... then you're back to square one.
41.gif

and am generally not very attracted to the chunky cushion look which i say not to offend anyone, but just as a personal preference.
LOL... no offense taken whatsoever! There are many people who share your preference for modern facet structure. In fact its another project on my plate.
34.gif

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Anytime you would like to do a video comparison with one of those 8 main modern cushions (not the Square Cushion HAs!!)
11.gif
and a top performing 4 main I would be quite interested in seeing it as I'm sure the OP would as well
31.gif

Date: 11/22/2009 4:31:48 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
Anytime you would like to do a video comparison with one of those 8 main modern cushions (not the Square Cushion HAs!!)
11.gif
and a top performing 4 main I would be quite interested in seeing it as I''m sure the OP would as well
31.gif

yes please do! rhino, i love your educational videos! i watched the one for cushion buyers. my bf fell asleep (doh!) but i thought it was great! i have seem some beautiful 4 mains on this forum, but i feel like i would have to go through a lot and see many of these before picking one that i really like. whereas knowing that i do love the 8 main brilliants and risk going through a long long long waiting game might be more up my alley of preference.

just as an update, i asked mark to see if he can get the james allen cushion i posted about before and meet up with him to compare. the JA cushion would allow us to get our custom setting and be UNDER budget, but the stone is a modified 8main and is smaller than what we would hope for.

finding the right cushion has been WAY more stressful than i ever imagined. it''s almost making me lose sleep, hence the late nights!

Just be patient and it will come.

What do you mean it is a modified 8 main? Is the cert incorrect?

On the setting, are you set with platinum?

Date: 11/22/2009 9:06:19 PM

11.gif
and a top performing 4 main I would be quite interested in seeing it as I''m sure the OP would as well
31.gif

yes please do! rhino, i love your educational videos! i watched the one for cushion buyers. my bf fell asleep (doh!) but i thought it was great! i have seem some beautiful 4 mains on this forum, but i feel like i would have to go through a lot and see many of these before picking one that i really like. whereas knowing that i do love the 8 main brilliants and risk going through a long long long waiting game might be more up my alley of preference.

just as an update, i asked mark to see if he can get the james allen cushion i posted about before and meet up with him to compare. the JA cushion would allow us to get our custom setting and be UNDER budget, but the stone is a modified 8main and is smaller than what we would hope for.

finding the right cushion has been WAY more stressful than i ever imagined. it''s almost making me lose sleep, hence the late nights!
Some options for you albeit not as promising as the previous one I posted but you are moving a small step away from the Tiffany Novo look:

Cushette:

1) If you can get out to Long Island you might consider this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4374/ (Cushette) an example video is here http://www.vimeo.com/5018428.

4 Main cushion:

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-945282.asp 4 main cushion: now this one is a modified but the photograph and proportions might be worth a look or getting an ASET at least:
3) If out at GOG take a look at this one as well http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6261/
4)http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1122257.asp
5)http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1266454.asp

To show you a video of a great 4 main cushion see here http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/round_cushion2_daylight.phtml you''d have to ask Cut Nut (Garry) about when these will be going into production.

Good-luck I am not confident about any of the above as I don''t have enough information to tell definitively but they fit your budget and are at least worth looking at ASET,and ultimately viewing in person would be crucial for this type.

None of these will have guaranteed optics like a GOG Square Cushion Hearts and Arrow but you already knows this and you are working with a budget and size requirements.

I selected for the largest facets from the photographs and reasonable depths, and to minimize a window and fractured pattern under the table. The table size in these modern cushions can vary quite a lot so that was not a selection or rejection criteria although I would prefer them to be small <60% as in other cushions, but I have seen nice ones with tables as large as 63% so I kept that criteria open.

Good-Luck,

CCL

You should be in good hands with Mark or Jon at GOG.

Date: 11/23/2009 8:47:04 AM
Just be patient and it will come.

What do you mean it is a modified 8 main? Is the cert incorrect?

On the setting, are you set with platinum?
thanks charmypoo. we''re going to see them this weekend, so i''m trying not to think about it too much.

the cert has the structure shown in the GIA cert below. it''s not a full 8main brilliant.

in terms of the setting, i''d really like platinum but would be ok with 18K white gold.

certs.jpg

Date: 11/23/2009 11:13:09 AM

11.gif
31.gif

Some options for you albeit not as promising as the previous one I posted but you are moving a small step away from the Tiffany Novo look:

Cushette:

1) If you can get out to Long Island you might consider this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4374/ (Cushette) an example video is here http://www.vimeo.com/5018428.

it looks nice, but i''m not liking the continual "X" pattern in the middle that seems to be radiating out towards the end of the stone.

4 Main cushion:

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-945282.asp 4 main cushion: now this one is a modified but the photograph and proportions might be worth a look or getting an ASET at least:
this one kind of looks dead in the middle and then kind of crushed iced looking as you get to the end of the stone. i saw this one and it didn''t say anything to me.

3) If out at GOG take a look at this one as well http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6261/
this one helps me illustrate what i''m talking about with my concern about 4-mains. picture and explanation below.

4)http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1122257.asp
5)http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1266454.asp
i also see the same thing in these as i do with the GOG stone. see below.

To show you a video of a great 4 main cushion see here http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/round_cushion2_daylight.phtml you''d have to ask Cut Nut (Garry) about when these will be going into production.

Good-luck I am not confident about any of the above as I don''t have enough information to tell definitively but they fit your budget and are at least worth looking at ASET,and ultimately viewing in person would be crucial for this type.

None of these will have guaranteed optics like a GOG Square Cushion Hearts and Arrow but you already knows this and you are working with a budget and size requirements.

I selected for the largest facets from the photographs and reasonable depths, and to minimize a window and fractured pattern under the table. The table size in these modern cushions can vary quite a lot so that was not a selection or rejection criteria although I would prefer them to be small <60% as in other cushions, but I have seen nice ones with tables as large as 63% so I kept that criteria open.

Good-Luck,

CCL

thanks for all your input CCL and for searching for for these stones!!

i attached at the bottom what my issue is with most of the 4-mains i''ve seen - when i look at these stones, i am very distracted by the 4-main pav outline, which i highlighted in red. with the 8-mains, i wouldn''t be able to discern where the pavilions are. i think this helps give the brilliance that the 4-main cannot. in the video, as the diamonds are flashing, you can clearly see where the 4-main pavs are. to me, it looks like these 4 areas that dont'' seem to have a lot of life to them.

i hope this gets a little more at what i''m talking about. i think in order for my cushion to be "mind clean" i need to stick to the 8mains.

Pic54987941.jpg

Date: 11/23/2009 12:11:13 PM

Date: 11/23/2009 11:13:09 AM

11.gif
and a top performing 4 main I would be quite interested in seeing it as I'm sure the OP would as well
31.gif

finding the right cushion has been WAY more stressful than i ever imagined. it's almost making me lose sleep, hence the late nights!

Cushette:

it looks nice, but i'm not liking the continual 'X' pattern in the middle that seems to be radiating out towards the end of the stone.

4 Main cushion:

this one kind of looks dead in the middle and then kind of crushed iced looking as you get to the end of the stone. i saw this one and it didn't say anything to me.

this one helps me illustrate what i'm talking about with my concern about 4-mains. picture and explanation below.

i also see the same thing in these as i do with the GOG stone. see below.

To show you a video of a great 4 main cushion see here http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/round_cushion2_daylight.phtml you'd have to ask Cut Nut (Garry) about when these will be going into production.

Good-luck I am not confident about any of the above as I don't have enough information to tell definitively but they fit your budget and are at least worth looking at ASET,and ultimately viewing in person would be crucial for this type.

Good-Luck,

CCL

thanks for all your input CCL and for searching for for these stones!!

i attached at the bottom what my issue is with most of the 4-mains i've seen - when i look at these stones, i am very distracted by the 4-main pav outline, which i highlighted in red. with the 8-mains, i wouldn't be able to discern where the pavilions are. i think this helps give the brilliance that the 4-main cannot. in the video, as the diamonds are flashing, you can clearly see where the 4-main pavs are. to me, it looks like these 4 areas that dont' seem to have a lot of life to them.

i hope this gets a little more at what i'm talking about. i think in order for my cushion to be 'mind clean' i need to stick to the 8mains.
In well cut 4 mains the X that you outlined is the brightest part of the diamond! What I was trying to do was avoid stones with deadness under the table or a window around where those 4 mains are. We can only tell from an ASET or Idealscope or a video but from those photographs the ones I posted should be better than most.
Don't read anything more into photographs except to notice the size and shape of the unbroken facets as looking through the crown. Don't judge optics from a photograph, what looks dark could be bright and vice versa it depends on the lighting use and where the light source is, camera position and various other factors.

But if you don't like the X than certainly don't get the 4 main and you would be better off somethingelse.

Have you seen a Square Cushion Hearts and Arrows? or even a Round Brilliant Hearts and Arrows? The arrows or areas of contrast flip from "On Light" to "Off Dark". Its the same with the 4 mains. You don't see this in the 8 main cushion brilliant(the one from the belgian cutter) as you don't have these areas of contrast meaning no dark areas in the diamond. I like my Fiance's 8 main (similar to the one I found for you) it has great brilliance in all lighting environments and decent fire in strong spot lighting but not as much as would be seen by this 4 main or the RB beside it http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/round_cushion2_daylight.phtml.

In terms of setting maybe you can do something like this this http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Metals/Platinum/The-Legato-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm or a plain tiffany solitaire http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-for-fancy-cut_756.htm.
See what you can get to fit your budget maybe you will have to upgrade setting later.

I look forward to seeing how your meeting with Mark goes, please do get an ASET from him and post it in this thread(I am particularly interested in the light return in other 8 main CBs), not all the 8 main modern CBs from the Belgian cutter are exactly the same(they are cookie cutter similar but the optics can change) so it would be nice to see how good that 2.09 J is. Unfortunately I can't find anything in the 1.5 - 2 carat range in that type for you, most of them left are much smaller or larger than your specs.

Lastly I would not want to make your decision from remote, since you are near New York it is really worthwhile to see what Mark can show you and what Jon at GOG can, the pictures and even Jon's videos don't do the stones justice.

Regards,
CCL

yes, it''s really the X of the 4-main that bothers me. and i know that if i got a 4-main i will always be looking for it to see if it shows up as i move the stone under lights. not very mind clean for me.

unless we can get our custom setting, we''ll probably go with a plain solitaire. i''m thinking white gold most likely since we know we won''t be keeping it as our e-ring setting. when we can afford it, we will get the custom setting in platinum. i do love the whiteflash legato though! it''s so classy and i think would look beautiful with any type of stone!

i''ll try my best to get the ASET, but we will probably meet mark outside of his office to look at the stones. we probably won''t make a final decision until a few days later, and during that time i hope mark can get an ASET for us. i do think though that what our eyes tell us is more important. i''ve seen a lot of cushions with great ASETs that don''t say anything to me. in any case, i will try for the ASET.

Date: 11/23/2009 3:26:36 PM
yes, it''s really the X of the 4-main that bothers me. and i know that if i got a 4-main i will always be looking for it to see if it shows up as i move the stone under lights. not very mind clean for me.

unless we can get our custom setting, we''ll probably go with a plain solitaire. i''m thinking white gold most likely since we know we won''t be keeping it as our e-ring setting. when we can afford it, we will get the custom setting in platinum. i do love the whiteflash legato though! it''s so classy and i think would look beautiful with any type of stone!

i''ll try my best to get the ASET, but we will probably meet mark outside of his office to look at the stones. we probably won''t make a final decision until a few days later, and during that time i hope mark can get an ASET for us. i do think though that what our eyes tell us is more important. i''ve seen a lot of cushions with great ASETs that don''t say anything to me. in any case, i will try for the ASET.
Trust your eyes over the ASET! As Mark will tell you he isn''t a strong supporter of ASET for selection or rejection (he prefers his eyes) don''t let that dissuade you from getting one anyway, a photograph and ASET is well warranted. I have my own selfish reason for wanting to see it, as I beleive that this series of stones all has very similar optics and you can help me prove it
emotion-5.gif
but we know the ASET won''t have as much importance as what you see in person.

I think given your budget you are doing the smartest thing going with a plain solitaire you can upgrade the setting later and a WG solitaire will be quite inexpensive.

Good-Luck,

I can''t wait to see images.

CCL

Although Jon has some beautiful 4-main and modified cushions, I am with you that I have never been fond of the 4-main cushion look. I couldn''t bring myself to buy one although the first one my fiance selected was a 4 main - we ended up switching to the 8-main we have ... and then switching to the GOG August Cushion :) I also have yet to see a modified cushion that I loved. Do take photos! I can''t wait until you find your perfect cushion. I spent hours and hours going through every cert on BlueNile, JamesAllen, and Adiamor as they have the best websites and search engines. I found a few potentials in my search in the past.

Date: 11/23/2009 11:31:52 PM
Although Jon has some beautiful 4-main and modified cushions, I am with you that I have never been fond of the 4-main cushion look. I couldn''t bring myself to buy one although the first one my fiance selected was a 4 main - we ended up switching to the 8-main we have ... and then switching to the GOG August Cushion :) I also have yet to see a modified cushion that I loved. Do take photos! I can''t wait until you find your perfect cushion. I spent hours and hours going through every cert on BlueNile, JamesAllen, and Adiamor as they have the best websites and search engines. I found a few potentials in my search in the past.
Charmy,

Your 8 main is an antique cut 8 main, totally different from the stones discussed here. Did you get another stone as well?

i hope this gets a little more at what i''m talking about. i think in order for my cushion to be ''mind clean'' i need to stick to the 8mains.
As you are seeing Mark in person that is by far the best way to see what you think but if you aren''t happy keep searching, it is worth it when you get exactly what you want.

thanks everyone for the support!

i am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel~!

mark has both stones (blue nile and james allen) and he reviewed it with their new gemologist and say that both have great brilliance and both are great stones. i am going to talk to him later today about both.

here is the james allen cushion: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1237402.asp
here is the blue nile cushion: http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamond-2-carat-very-good-cut-j-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01230676http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamond-2-carat-very-good-cut-j-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01230676

there is a huge difference in size between them (and price too!). would there be a noticable difference between 6.82*6.82*4.60 and 7.73 x 7.71 x 5.15 mm on a size 6.25 finger?

the JA cushion would let us get our custom setting, and is less than 6K with the pricescope discount, but we are sacrificing the size of the stone and also the brilliant structure. the bluenile stone is a great size, has the brilliant structure, but is more expensive and would require us to sacrifice the custom setting and push it for a later upgrade. we would use a plain 18K or platinum solitaire setting. are there any cheap options out there? we''re looking for maybe $700 or less. something thin as well, 2.00mm or less.

Curious to see what you eventually find. I know it can be tough finding that special cushion. I looked for a few years off and on -
finally realizing that special cushion was in my head, not in some cutter''s office - ;-)
Mark sourced mine - and he''s a great guy.

bebe is the ring in your avatar yours? it''s gorgeous!!!!

The First Cushion originally from James Allen is unique I have not seen one like it before. It has a really cool pattern and shape to it.

What would concern me most about this cushion is the tips of the arrows on the star. Are they really going to be dark in the faceup position? or turn on and off and be a source of fire and contrast like the arrows in a round brilliant. I would go see this in person to judge for yourself. A White background ASET (which is what mark has) would show the areas of leakage and obstruction better. In the pictures of the ASET above the colors all blur together and I can't tell black from blue from a mix of blue/red(I really don't like the ASET setup with no backlighting which is what JamesAllen uses.

coolcushion.jpg

Date: 11/24/2009 10:40:00 AM
thanks everyone for the support!

i am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel~!

mark has both stones (blue nile and james allen) and he reviewed it with their new gemologist and say that both have great brilliance and both are great stones. i am going to talk to him later today about both.

here is the james allen cushion: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1237402.asp
here is the blue nile cushion: http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamond-2-carat-very-good-cut-j-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01230676http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamond-2-carat-very-good-cut-j-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01230676

there is a huge difference in size between them (and price too!). would there be a noticable difference between 6.82*6.82*4.60 and 7.73 x 7.71 x 5.15 mm on a size 6.25 finger?

the JA cushion would let us get our custom setting, and is less than 6K with the pricescope discount, but we are sacrificing the size of the stone and also the brilliant structure. the bluenile stone is a great size, has the brilliant structure, but is more expensive and would require us to sacrifice the custom setting and push it for a later upgrade. we would use a plain 18K or platinum solitaire setting. are there any cheap options out there? we''re looking for maybe $700 or less. something thin as well, 2.00mm or less.
Let us know which one you like best and see if you can check them out away from any bright lighting so you can see how they would look in the type of lighting the cushion would be worn in, such as plain daylight.

Date: 11/24/2009 1:42:21 PM
Author: Lorelei

Let us know which one you like best and see if you can check them out away from any bright lighting so you can see how they would look in the type of lighting the cushion would be worn in, such as plain daylight.
will do!

ChunkyCushoinLover - when I first saw this, the black tips were a concern, which is why i asked for the ASET. i''m no expert at all, but seems like i got good feedback on the ASET from lorelei, who i trust.

my bf and i are meeting mark at his home in upstate ny to see them in person. after speaking to him on the phone, he said he was pleasantly surprised by this stone, and that it performs almost equally to the larger cushion that we will also look at. i think there will be plenty of natural light to view these stones. i will then have to decide if i want to choose diamond size over custom setting for now.

not sure if this helps any, but mark did say the smaller cushion is a high/middle J while the larger one is a lower J. he says you can tell from the bottom that the larger cushion has a tint, but not so much from the top. anyway, i guess we will have to go and see!

Date: 11/24/2009 12:09:08 AM
Charmy,

Your 8 main is an antique cut 8 main, totally different from the stones discussed here. Did you get another stone as well?
CCL - I have two cushions. One from Mark (a 1.52 G VS1 modern 8 main cushion brillant) and one from Jon (a 1.71 E VS1 August Vintage).

I also had another cushion before these two that was a 4 main cushion brillant.

Since you are considering white gold, I am going to throw out another idea - it might sound risky but many PSers have been successful. There are several ebay sellers that sell white gold and diamond setting for very reasonable prices (that is I have gotten many under $100). The workmanship is not that different from a B&M jeweler shop - in fact, some of the ones I received are much nicer. If you head over the colored stones forum, many of the ladies there own settings from LOGR (I mayself have over 10 settings from him).

http://shop.ebay.com/lord_of_gem_rings

As an example, this is a plain pave band http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220513490048. He can customize the center to fit your cushion.

I think this is a good option to get the stone you want and wear it until you save up for your dream setting. It can have the look you want instead of getting a plain band. You can always keep the setting and set something else in it after.

Date: 11/24/2009 2:29:42 PM
Since you are considering white gold, I am going to throw out another idea - it might sound risky but many PSers have been successful. There are several ebay sellers that sell white gold and diamond setting for very reasonable prices (that is I have gotten many under $100). The workmanship is not that different from a B&M jeweler shop - in fact, some of the ones I received are much nicer. If you head over the colored stones forum, many of the ladies there own settings from LOGR (I mayself have over 10 settings from him).

As an example, this is a plain pave band http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220513490048. He can customize the center to fit your cushion.

I think this is a good option to get the stone you want and wear it until you save up for your dream setting. It can have the look you want instead of getting a plain band. You can always keep the setting and set something else in it after.
thanks charmy!!!! i will take a look at them tonight! (work blocked ebay, for good reasons!)

i''ve been looking around for inexpensive solitaire settings. my heart really is set on the larger cushion (even without seeing it!) and so i wouldn''t mind waiting a few years to get the setting upgrade. i found these on since1910.com which i think are promising. some i have to call in the prices for:

1) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v119er-set-1961.aspx

2) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v195er-set-1978.aspx

3) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v120er-set-1962.aspx

4) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v196fr-set-1972.aspx

i would get one in either 14K gold or palladium. I''m sort of leaning towards palladium but saw that it''s more of a greyish metal.

Date: 11/24/2009 2:59:04 PM

Date: 11/24/2009 2:29:42 PM

thanks charmy!!!!i will take a look at them tonight! (work blocked ebay, for good reasons!)

i''ve been looking around for inexpensive solitaire settings. my heart really is set on the larger cushion (even without seeing it!) and so i wouldn''t mind waiting a few years to get the setting upgrade. i found these on since1910.com which i think are promising. some i have to call in the prices for:

1) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v119er-set-1961.aspx

2) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v195er-set-1978.aspx

3) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v120er-set-1962.aspx

4) http://since1910.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-settings/art-carved-solitaire-diamond-ring-ac-31v196fr-set-1972.aspx

i would get one in either 14K gold or palladium. I''m sort of leaning towards palladium but saw that it''s more of a greyish metal.
Would love to hear how it went and which you selected with pictures.

oh! here is a picture of the two stones for a preview, i will write more in a bit :)

oops! forgot the picture, here it is! :D

markcushions2brilliants11292009.jpg

ok so here goes (this is going to be long).

we met with mark at his house in upstate NY (beautiful place!). we were in a room with lots of natural light. we also we there when the sun was setting and it was getting dark, so we got to see it in different light settings etc. mark was amazing! he walked us through all the parts of the cushion and explained the difference between cushions and rounds, and how cutters can make more money by cutting rounds, etc. which is why cushion brilliants are so hard to find despite being the 2nd most popular stone.

he then explained the difference between the 2.09 cushion brilliant and the 1.57 modified cushion brilliant. a lot of it has to do with saving weight and making more money. the modified one is an 8-main but its pavilions only extend to the end of the table. by doing this, cutters save a lot of weight, but they also preserve the brilliant performance of a cushion brilliant in the center of the stone. A cushion brilliant takes a lot more diamond to make, but the pavilions will extend to the end of the stone.

we got to take a close look at both. first, under the loupe. both looked beautiful, and we could identify the pattern in the modified 8 better than the brilliant. looking at the stones as a whole, i liked the larger one better. the problem with the smaller modified one was that because the pavilions only extend to the end of the table rather than to the end of the stone, it looks like the table of the stone is framed and the edges of the diamond look lifeless to me. i didn''t like that because it made the edge of the diamond look like glass. mark said setting it wouldn''t fix that appearance. so bf and i had a long discussion in the car and he is so sweet, he said to pick the one that would make me the happiest. despite the price difference of almost 2-fold, i chose the 2.09 cushion brilliant. it''s a great size, beautiful diamond, and it also seemed to be mark''s choice too. so now we will pick a solitaire setting!!!

the cushion i picked is the one on the right in the picture above.

Great choice! I love the one on the right - it looks just like my stone. I love the shape and facet pattern.

CONGRATS!!!!

I'm still waiting. Still looking at as many of them as possible until the right one jumps at me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP