shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you clean your diamonds?

How often do you clean your diamond rings?

• Every day

• every week

• Once every 2 or 3 weeks

• Monthly

• Rarely

• Do you clean earrings pendants and braclets

• At the same time?

• Less frequently than rings?

• More frequently than rings?

• Rarely?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sometimes more than once a day. Whenever I see a smudge or fingerprint. I also have the diamond dazzle stick for when I’m out. And I rejoice when I see air dryers in public bathrooms because they always give such a lovely sparkle. My husband thinks I’m mad.

Sometimes more than once a day. Whenever I see a smudge or fingerprint. I also have the diamond dazzle stick for when I’m out. And I rejoice when I see air dryers in public bathrooms because they always give such a lovely sparkle. My husband thinks I’m mad.

DiamondHolic Anonymous

The simplest approach to cleaning diamonds (from my forthcoming book):

1. Add a dash of ammonia and dish washing detergent to a third of a cup of boiling or very hot water. Adding the ammonia and detergent will drop the temperature enough to not cause damage to any natural untreated diamonds. First put a plug in the sink as sometimes a claw has worn or broken off and dirt is the only thing holding a diamond in its setting. Large diamonds can suffer heat shock and can break, so slowly lower the back of the band in over several seconds so the diamond warms up. Very long diamonds and long crystal gems like tourmaline can snap in half when heat expands one end faster than the other end.

2. Scrub with a stiff toothbrush (keep one with your ammonia). Ignore internet advice to use a soft brush, the stiff bristles soften when hot and plastic can never scratch or damage metals or gems! Scrub underneath the setting and behind gems as well as through the sides of the settings; the dirt and grease on pavilions is the main culprit in reducing the brilliance and sparkle.

3. Add rubies and sapphires next when the temperature has dropped and the cleaning solution has cooled enough for you to just leave your finger in. It’s best to remove any diamonds beforehand to reduce the chance of softer gems being scratched.
  4. Clean chains and tennis bracelets regularly as the dirt is the abrasive that causes the wear with lots of tiny links rubbing on each other.

5. Add other gems later when the temperature decreases, making sure you can leave your finger in the warm solution.

6. Emeralds are very often dipped in oils or waxes to fill cracks and improve both appearance and durability (practiced since Roman times). So no swimming and no very hot solvent solutions. It’s best to use the toothbrush dipped in the lukewarm cleaning solution, scrub and warm water rinse.

7. Pearls and opals should not be subjected to heat. Both love water but do not get the string in a strand of pearls wet. Rub gently with a warm damp cloth.

8. Peridot and glass-filled gems (like cheap tourist rubies) should not be left in the solution for an extended time as they will react chemically.
GDa2w7dIArcIDUmW_XvHTuv_j79GT4oJeKBi4-lFd2n1qTh5LLLZJ-lAjt-bEh2m4KtLyNmAHc33WLEeEKPSue7iHtXInA3QOp8VXMn7l8mSanz2gyG5oWNGaZaSv5lgRXE-GuMavSbeWL4Y87by8Yc

Never use toothpaste! It will leave a white film on the pavilions of your diamonds and has no cleaning benefit at all other than being an abrasive that can polish the band slightly.

Gin and other alcoholic spirits will dissolve grease and oils but not as well as a hot ammonia and detergent solution.

Paint sticks to diamonds really well and you may need a paint solvent after DIY renovations.

Never put the cleaning solution in a saucepan and heat on the stove. I have seen far too many destroyed jewels because your best friend called you for a chat. Bring the boiling water to the cup!

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, use the same process but with just a bearably finger hot solution. The transducer that makes the buzzing sound is glued on and excessive heat will unstick it and make your cleaner lose its effectiveness.

A steam cleaner is great for a final rinse and also for removing grime between tight spaces of a setting and the gems. This is often a problem with tapered Tiffany style settings where the prongs are in direct contact with the diamond pavilion. After the previous process a blast of steam behind the gems does wonders. Some espresso coffee maker milk steamers will even do the trick.
These cheap virbrating cleaners also work suprisingly well:
1694663524140.png

Professional cleaning

We recommend taking your diamond rings for a professional clean every few months. A thorough clean and general inspection of settings ensure that the prongs are kept tight and also catch any worn-out and risky settings. Polishing and re-rhodium plating should not be done too often as eventually your jewel will be polished away!

At my Holloway Diamonds workshops, we use professional ultrasonic cleaning machines with a hot proprietary ammonia and detergent solution. They clean with high-frequency sound waves and a stiff toothbrush that shakes and vibrates and a stiff toothbrush can help clear away detritus.

Finally my personal tip. Rather than sit in the car honking the horn while she is adding makeup or whatever takes that long before heading out to dinner with friends, go and clean her jewels.

I’d love to know when your book is out!!

I cleaned mine yesterday, first time in months :oops:

I saw pictures of jewelry that haven’t been cleaned in years.

Hmmm,

I put my rings in the safe when Resa passed. I haven’t taken the out yet, so, not very often…

Wink, please take them when you feel able. Such a huge and meaningful part of your life! I'm 13 years widowed now, photographs, military record, it all adds meaning. If it takes you 13 years, that's fine. Just don't close that door.

Wink, please take them when you feel able. Such a huge and meaningful part of your life! I'm 13 years widowed now, photographs, military record, it all adds meaning. If it takes you 13 years, that's fine. Just don't close that door.

I am not sure I have thirteen more on this earthly plane. I have led a blessed and truly wonderful life. I am aiming for ten.

I appreciate your kind thoughts and want you to know I am doing okay.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP