shape
carat
color
clarity

I dislike necklaces...anyone else feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or anything else that goes round the neck?

In Hindu culture, when a woman is married she shows it by wearing her "thali", which is a necklace with two sets of charms - one bought for her by her parents, one from FI's parents.

My parents showed me the one they brought from India for me. I mentioned that I wouldn't wear it round my neck, but I'd string the charms onto a gold bangle or something... my mum was so very disappointed and upset. I think it's rather like an engagement/wedding ring - I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't much like rings, but who wear them simply because - well, sure, there are 'wedding watches' and 'engagement earrings' but nothing is so easily and universally recognized - nothing states "married" like a ring on the fourth finger..

I really, truly can't stand necklaces, though, or pullover sweaters or even ski masks that touch my neck and chin area - I never have. I just don't think I could "get used to" wearing it even if I tried!

It does have one plus - despite PS, I have zero desire for a diamond pendant
1.gif

Just wondering, is there anyone else who feels this way?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really wear necklaces either. I don''t like anything high up on my neck. I suppose I would wear a diamond pendant though.. if someone was to buy me one!
9.gif
It would take a bit of getting used to though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I like necklaces. But, I don't like bracelets, watches or anything around my wrists and surprisingly, I don't really even like the way rings feel on my fingers. The only ring set I wear is my eng/wedding.

As far as shirts/or other things on my neck. . .I prefer lower cut tops/sweaters and I don't even own a turtle neck. I do like scarves, however and have a small collection.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like necklaces on other people and I always think I''ll like them for myself, but I never do. I never wear them, but I have a few I really like. Same with bracelets.

I like mock turtlenecks more than regular ones, because they''re not as tight. I wear those all the time in the winter.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Love necklaces, turtlenecks, sweaters, scarfs
30.gif

Like MC, I hate anything around my wrist. I don''t wear bracelets or watches and the only rings I wear is ether my e-ring and band, or 5 stone and wedding band. I won''t even wear more than 2 rings at a time (unless it require a spacer, but i don''t count that as a ring).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love necklaces! Not tight/short ones, though-I only like longer pendants. And I also hate turtleneck or even high crewneck shirts and sweaters.

I don''t really even like rings but I love diamonds so I put up with my e-ring and wedding band.
3.gif
However, they come off the second I walk in the door at night! My watch doesn''t bother me that much but again, it comes off the second I walk in the door.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 5:58:34 PM
Author: thing2of2
I love necklaces! Not tight/short ones, though-I only like longer pendants. And I also hate turtleneck or even high crewneck shirts and sweaters.

I don''t really even like rings but I love diamonds so I put up with my e-ring and wedding band.
3.gif
However, they come off the second I walk in the door at night! My watch doesn''t bother me that much but again, it comes off the second I walk in the door.
Same. . .love the diamonds so am willing to put up with the rings. I''d prefer to take mine off at home except my DH gets mad when I do. I swear one time (6+ months ago), he hid them from me to teach me some sort of lesson about not taking them off and I asked him if he did and he said no. Well, just a few days ago he mentioned how he''d once hid my rings from me because I am always taking them off.
37.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ME TOO! I thought I was crazy. Hate anything touching my neck. I had a diamond pendant for a while but hated wearing it so I sold it.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t wear any jewelry except rings... but I like to look at it
1.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
I always wear a necklace, usually something really simple (thin white gold chain and tiny pendant). I have a really sensitive neck and you''d think that a necklace would bother me, but I don''t even notice it. I do notice when it''s not there though...Can''t explain it.

I can''t seem to get myself to wear rings, earrings, or bracelets though. Even the e-ring was a hard adjustment.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I love all jewelry.

But, I hate things touching my neck. I can''t even wear a t-shirt because the collar is too close to my throat. I never tie a scarf around my neck and would die before someone got a turtle neck on me.

I don''t wear any necklaces under 18" and I take them off after just a few hours. I usually wear one every day though.

Would it be possible to only wear it when you''re out?? I only put on my w-ring when I leave the house. Or perhaps put it on a very long chain?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I lurve necklaces!

The only jewelry I don''t like is rings, because I don''t like having stuff on my hands (other than my wedding set of course).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my necklace 24/7. I would love to see a picture of your "thali" as I am not quite getting the concept in my head. I bet it is beautiful!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
So how do you people survive very old weather without scarf/ski mask/turtlenecks?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll post a pic the moment I have one
9.gif

SC - hoodies, scarves loosely draped (just so long as they don''t touch!), hair...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 7:55:01 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
So how do you people survive very old weather without scarf/ski mask/turtlenecks?

I live in North Central IL. It gets pretty cold here. Luckily, I''m hot blooded and don''t require a jacket until it''s below freezing, a coat until it''s in the single digits and gloves are below 0 attire. DH isn''t as hot blooded as I am but he doesn''t wear scarves or anything touching his neck either.

btw- A hood provides a lot of protection from the wind without actually touching you.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. You gals have long hair, I forgot. :razz: I still like my ski-mask when I go out into the very cold for a hike. :razz:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so many people don''t like necklaces!

I love love love necklaces!

The one thing I can''t stand are bracelets. I don''t even like rings on when I''m in the house.

But I can sleep in necklaces. And I never leave the house without earrings!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all jewelry!!! I don''t wear bracelets as much any more, but for a while I wore multiples. I cant sleep in any jewelry (or in make-up), and I only wear rings on
one finger of each hand. Oh-I do have one toe ring that I never take off.

I don''t like turtlenecks or anything tight around my neck either-but I don''t ever go out with out my rings and a necklace on. Don''t know why.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I wear necklaces sometimes but don''t like how they feel, esp if they are short. So glad I decided not to get a bezel pendant. I thought it''d be different, but I doubt it
20.gif

bracelets, meh , I''m ambivalent, but I hate watches, even bracelet watches.

The only rings I wear are my e-ring and w-band but I''d like to get a RHR sometime soon
2.gif

All jewelry comes off the second I walk in the door except my one true jewelry love, earrings!!!!

I LOVE earrings and wear them pretty much every day. If they are leverbacks I sleep in them, if not then they go on first thing in the morning.

Can''t wait until my WF leverbacks arrive!!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I feel ya yssie. In Northern India, we wear mangalsutras. The only good thing about that is the pendant/charm can be made with all diamonds
11.gif
. Thankfully, my mother never wore hers, so there was no pressure for me to. That said, I wouldn't wear one regardless (even if my husband was Hindu and expected it of me).

As for other necklaces, I love them! I love thin dainty ones as well as massive chunky ones.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love the idea of your thali, and would like to see pictures. I will google image them in the meantime.

I wear all jewellery, nothing bothers me, but with necklaces, they have to be 19-20" minimum to get me past the gag response. LOL. I feel very claustrophobic in anything shorter than that. My pearls are a bit gaggy for me too because of the weight around my neck. (I know that sounds weird.
41.gif
)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, more diamonds - esp. more transferable diamonds...
11.gif

If you google "thali chain" you get some pics. Just "thali" takes you to plates of food, though!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love necklaces and turtlenecks. I must have between two and three dozen turtlenecks in my drawers in different fibers. They''re almost my winter uniform. I don''t think you can live in NY and not own turtleneck sweaters.

The only time a necklace bothers me is during the hottest part of the summer. In July and August I wear much smaller, less heavy jewelry because I don''t like anything sticking to me.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I will wear necklaces, but always prefer rings. Actually wearing a sterling, gold, and amethyst necklace today. :)

I HATE turtlenecks... urg, can''t stand them. The only one I can put up with is cashmere, so maybe its the material....

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love necklaces and usually wear one every day. I can''t sleep in them though, I feel like they strangle me!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have one necklace that I wear everyday. That said I do not like things on my neck. I can''t wear turtlenecks, a scarf, a choker type necklace. I can''t even let the blankets lay across my neck in bed. It makes me feel like I am choking. My necklace is a thin chain and it hangs to midway between my neck and breasts so it doesn''t bother me. I do not even feel it anymore.

For Halloween I was Wilma Flintstone and she had that rock necklace and it fits snugly. I was yanking at it the entire night. I eventually had to take it off. I tolerate mine because it is small, if it had any weight I probably would not be able to wear it.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
yssie- I am the same way about necklaces. I cannot wear anything that comes the close to the vicinity of my neck! I can''t wear turtle necks or anything with a high collar, and I can never zip up a jacket all the way because it touches my neck.

I can wear a necklace every now and then if I am dressed up and it completes the outfit, but the whole time it just drives me crazy. I usually can''t wait to get home and take it off!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
stone-cold-

I''m an avid hiker, and I have to tell you...if I saw someone hiking towards me with a ski mask on, I would be so scared!! I''d probably start running away! lol.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 8:15:59 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Oh. You gals have long hair, I forgot. :razz: I still like my ski-mask when I go out into the very cold for a hike. :razz:
Yep, my hair covers my neck, with the wind blowing it''s not much help. Like Girlface, if you were walking up by me with a ski mask, I''d freak and scream for my life!
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results