shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could only have five pearl pieces, what would they be and why?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all, I’m inspired by your beautiful collections and am fighting hard not to buy everything I see!

However, I’m curious to know: if you could only keep five pieces, what would they be and why?

Bonus question (as I’m at the start of my pearl journey): if you could start your pearl collection again knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?

(I’ve posted this same question in the other pearl forum but the crowds are slightly different, so apologies if you’re active on both and see the duplicate!)

And because we love pictures, here is a strand of multicolour 8-9.8mm Tahitians that I so wanted to keep but decided it wasn’t for me (I’m trying to stay disciplined!). The pearls were blemished but the colour and luster were beautiful.

IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpegIMG_0461.jpegIMG_0424.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 8
Ooh I don’t know if I’m the right person to chime in because I haven’t really started my pearl journey yet! But I know exactly what I want, and my list is 5 pieces!

1) classic strand of white south sea pearls
2) classic strand of gold south sea pearls
3) classic strand of Tahitians
4) diamond cluster earrings with detachable pearl drops (ideally all 3 colours, but if you’re being a stickler, I guess I could make do with just black drops, since I have other non-pearl earrings that would work with white or gold pearls)
5) diamond and akoya pearl pendant (I already have this and wear this a lot, so I think it would be a useful thing to own!)

If I’m allowed a 6th, I’d like a tin-cup necklace with some diamond pave stations and including both white and black pearls!

the first two i already own
i would have my mum's pearls -not actually sure what they are but im thinking Akoya because they predate the cheaper farmed freshwaters

then my Andrew Moline studs

then i would want an Ombré strand similar to the one that @MakingTheGrade has

then some top shelf Wilma Flintstones

then im not sure:lol-2:
if only the world was my oyster ...

Aw thanks I’m flattered! I too would keep my ombre strand! Haha

My top 5:
Ombre strand
WSS supearl net necklace
Large keshi gold south sea strand
Tahitian bracelet (though I think this is forever in process as I find Tahitians to replace current circle ones still in the bracelet)
Gemmy bubble akoya (though I aspire to a supearl akoya strand someday)

The only thing I think I’d change about my pearl adventures is wishing I’d bought nicer pearls sooner and more of them given the price increases.

My top 5:
Ombre strand
WSS supearl net necklace
Tahitian bracelet (though I think this is forever in process as I find Tahitians to replace current circle ones still in the bracelet)

The only thing I think I’d change about my pearl adventures is wishing I’d bought nicer pearls sooner and more of them given the price increases.
one day im gloing to do an apricot/ peach to cream ombre but yours will always be Queen

also if its not in your top five, maybe i should look after your mother of pearl pendent =)2

Ooh I don’t know if I’m the right person to chime in because I haven’t really started my pearl journey yet! But I know exactly what I want, and my list is 5 pieces!

1) classic strand of white south sea pearls
2) classic strand of gold south sea pearls
3) classic strand of Tahitians
4) diamond cluster earrings with detachable pearl drops (ideally all 3 colours, but if you’re being a stickler, I guess I could make do with just black drops, since I have other non-pearl earrings that would work with white or gold pearls)
5) diamond and akoya pearl pendant (I already have this and wear this a lot, so I think it would be a useful thing to own!)

If I’m allowed a 6th, I’d like a tin-cup necklace with some diamond pave stations and including both white and black pearls!

Yess the detachable drops on a diamond cluster is such a good idea! I’m currently working on a mismatched pair of drops (one dark and one light) - it’s gonna take some patience to complete but that’s part of the fun.

Can’t wait to see what you get when your journey commences :)

the first two i already own
i would have my mum's pearls -not actually sure what they are but im thinking Akoya because they predate the cheaper farmed freshwaters

then my Andrew Moline studs

then i would want an Ombré strand similar to the one that @MakingTheGrade has

then some top shelf Wilma Flintstones

then im not sure:lol-2:
if only the world was my oyster ...

Haha the world is your oyster @Daisys and Diamonds!

Have you had the chance to try on some large Wilma Flintstones? I bought some plastic 14/15mm ones to see the effect (and it didn’t suit me) - if you haven’t already, it’s worth getting some cheap faux pearls in different sizes to see if you like the size on your neck!

My top 5:
Ombre strand
WSS supearl net necklace

Your top five have such variety between them, and all of them iconic!

I’d never even considered GSS keshi before but the way they look like liquid gold on your neck is *drool*

Haha I’m getting the feeling that it’s a bad (for my wallet) time to get into pearls…!

Haha the world is your oyster @Daisys and Diamonds!

Have you had the chance to try on some large Wilma Flintstones? I bought some plastic 14/15mm ones to see the effect (and it didn’t suit me) - if you haven’t already, it’s worth getting some cheap faux pearls in different sizes to see if you like the size on your neck!

actually Wen pearls has some superszed fun ones im very tempted - just for fun

I can't answer this. It's traumatic to think about. :lol:

I really couldn't pick out five favorites so I just went with five that I like a lot. It put each piece with what I'd probably wear it with because they seemed out of context somehow otherwise, though that puts two pearl pieces in some pics. I may have put too much thought into this. :lol-2:

Baroque SS golden pearls on gold wire:
pic1.jpg

Large (13mm?) colorful metallic Edison pearl earrings in gold setting with tiny diamond.
pic2.jpg

Gray Tahitian pearl earrings
pic3.jpg

The basics: White. Freshie strand (10-11mm?) with white metallic freshie earrings
pic4.jpg

The basics: Black. Tahitian strand and earrings.
pic5.jpg

Last edited:
As to "why," the white freshwater set and black tahitian set are staples, which are nice to have because they pretty much go with anything and are appropriate for any occasion.

The first three pics, I like those because they're a little more unusual than the basics, I guess. :)

HI:

I don't have that many. So it's easy. I gave my sister my golden pearl earrings and custom golden necklace during her cancer tx to cheer her up. Good decision! I still have a pair of goldens on diamond huggies.

1) Tiffany diamond and Tahitian earrings. They are beautiful and discontinued so I keep them.
2) Lake K and SOC dangle earrings. Stunning earrings.
3) Miki pearl studs. Beautfiiul and perfect size for me.
4) Akoya long strand inherited from my Mom and the 2 pair of earrings. Inherited pieces, no explanation needed. :)
5) Large mabe pearl and diamond necklace inherited from my Mom. Custom setting.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:
@Daisys and Diamonds - you got your Moline studs? Wonderful! What did I miss? Do tell all!

actually i recieved them as a very generouse gift a few years ago, they are probably the best pieces of jewellery i am lucky enough to own
i dont wear them often because we wear aprons at work and it often gets caught up getting it off over my head at work and i would be heartbroken to loose them

I really couldn't pick out five favorites so I just went with five that I like a lot. It put each piece with what I'd probably wear it with because they seemed out of context somehow otherwise, though that puts two pearl pieces in some pics. I may have put too much thought into this. :lol-2:

Baroque SS golden pearls on gold wire:
pic1.jpg

Large (13mm?) colorful metallic Edison pearl earrings in gold setting with tiny diamond.
pic2.jpg

Gray Tahitian pearl earrings
pic3.jpg

The basics: White. Freshie strand (10-11mm?) with white metallic freshie earrings
pic4.jpg

The basics: Black. Tahitian strand and earrings.
pic5.jpg

Beautiful! Loving the GSS on golden wire and your grey Tahitian drops looks fabulous!

I'm also ogling at the lustre of the metallic white freshies - wow, those earrings especially! I might need to do a real-life comparison of hanadama vs metallic freshies the next time I visit the pearl market...

HI:

I don't have that many. So it's easy. I gave my sister my golden pearl earrings and custom golden necklace during her cancer tx to cheer her up. Good decision! I still have a pair of goldens on diamond huggies.

1) Tiffany diamond and Tahitian earrings. They are beautiful and discontinued so I keep them.
2) Lake K and SOC dangle earrings. Stunning earrings.
3) Miki pearl studs. Beautfiiul and perfect size for me.
4) Akoya long strand inherited from my Mom and the 2 pair of earrings. Inherited pieces, no explanation needed. :)
5) Large mabe pearl and diamond necklace inherited from my Mom. Custom setting.

cheers--Sharon

Sorry to hear about your sister's cancer and so lovely of you to gift her your golden pearls.

Tahitians with diamonds have come up a couple of times in this thread! I think there's a moody magic with Tahitians, and with diamonds - bam.

Ooh I'd love to see a SOC pearl in real life one day. Rainbow unicorns.

I'll play!

Interchangeable pearl drops, one pair each in WSS and Tahitian, to go with a pair of small diamond huggy earrings - I have these already, plus a pair of mis-matched drops with WSS and Tahitian.

A pearl ring (I have 3 already and am not looking for more, a WSS, a Tahitian and a SoC).

2 pearl necklaces - a WSS and a Tahitian (again, I have them already, plus a few strands of CFWPs and a blue baroque Akoya). I would love to add a strand of blue Tahitian to my collection.

The above would make 5, and I would add a pearl pendant and a pearl brooch. Again, I have a few of those already.

So, the only pearl item I would love to get, would be a strand of blue Tahitians.

DK :))

I have less than 10 pieces so it is not too hard. In order of priority:

1. - Multi coloured graduated Tahitians. This was the strand that started it all and I love the size of the large front pearls.
2 and 3 - two strands of baroque goldens. My favourite was to wear this is the two strands together and then wrapped twice around my neck. The pieces are great because not only can I wear the strands separately or even as one long opera length piece, as baroque’s they are so different to the rounds. I just love the shapes of these.

4. Paspaley Lavalier. So versatile and it can be worn dressed up or with jeans. I have loved this design ever since they brought it out (about 15 years ago from memory).

5. In fifth place is my purple freshwater strand. I would have liked larger pearls but….$$$$… you knowIMG_1256.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 24
I have 2 strands, which I never wear, so:
3 pendants- Edison, pale gold SS, baroque SS
2 earrings- Hanadama and Vietnamese blue akoya studs

actually i recieved them as a very generouse gift a few years ago, they are probably the best pieces of jewellery i am lucky enough to own
i dont wear them often because we wear aprons at work and it often gets caught up getting it off over my head at work and i would be heartbroken to loose them

what a lovely gift! post a picture of you wearing them at home

I'll play!

Interchangeable pearl drops, one pair each in WSS and Tahitian, to go with a pair of small diamond huggy earrings - I have these already, plus a pair of mis-matched drops with WSS and Tahitian.

A pearl ring (I have 3 already and am not looking for more, a WSS, a Tahitian and a SoC).

2 pearl necklaces - a WSS and a Tahitian (again, I have them already, plus a few strands of CFWPs and a blue baroque Akoya). I would love to add a strand of blue Tahitian to my collection.

The above would make 5, and I would add a pearl pendant and a pearl brooch. Again, I have a few of those already.

So, the only pearl item I would love to get, would be a strand of blue Tahitians.

Hehe I think I first saw mismatched pearls from you, DK, and I absolutely love the idea!

What kind of blue Tahitians are you looking for? I’ve seen both baby blue (but admittedly it was a single pearl) and darker blues.

IMG_0602.jpeg

Hehe I think I first saw mismatched pearls from you, DK, and I absolutely love the idea!

What kind of blue Tahitians are you looking for? I’ve seen both baby blue (but admittedly it was a single pearl) and darker blues.

IMG_0602.jpeg

An entire strand of blue in the colour of the big drop shaped in the front is my holly grail.

My mis-matched drops from Takahashi is funky and playful, and I love them, thank you!

1. - Multi coloured graduated Tahitians. This was the strand that started it all and I love the size of the large front pearls.
2 and 3 - two strands of baroque goldens. My favourite was to wear this is the two strands together and then wrapped twice around my neck. The pieces are great because not only can I wear the strands separately or even as one long opera length piece, as baroque’s they are so different to the rounds. I just love the shapes of these.

4. Paspaley Lavalier. So versatile and it can be worn dressed up or with jeans. I have loved this design ever since they brought it out (about 15 years ago from memory).

5. In fifth place is my purple freshwater strand. I would have liked larger pearls but….$$$$… you knowIMG_1256.jpeg

The luster on your Tahitians!

And I cannot get over how good the two GSS are stacked together! They’ve got some gorgeous green and pink overtones if my eyes don’t deceive me? And out of interest, did you buy them together or on different occasions (and knew they would play so well)?

I have 2 strands, which I never wear, so:
3 pendants- Edison, pale gold SS, baroque SS
2 earrings- Hanadama and Vietnamese blue akoya studs

Hehe, why do you prefer pendants over strands out of interest?

Now that it’s getting to summer, I’m wondering whether sweat and sunscreen will affect my strands!

This isn't fair! Anyone that knows me knows I have to have one of each color plus they need to be in a complete set. There's no way I could possibly pick just 5.

Hehe, why do you prefer pendants over strands out of interest?

Now that it’s getting to summer, I’m wondering whether sweat and sunscreen will affect my strands!

I think it’s just the “formality” of the style, doesn’t really go with my very casual wardrobe and life. I can have a bit more fun with a pop of colour against a plain top with the pendants.

Oh my goodness. I want to play in your jewelry box!!!

Last edited:
5 pieces - all earrings.

1. 14.3mm WSS AAA grade drops with BGD and BN diamonds

2. Roughly 2ct of BGD and True Hearts bezel set diamonds in 18kt with 11mm GSS baroque drops

3. 11mm natural white WSS pearl studs

4. Blue baroque akoya drops with halo’d OEC diamond studs.

5. Andrew Moline champagne 11mm studs

I’m not including my gorgeous 7.5mm white akoyas or my moi et toi Victorian ring in rose gold with new akoyas from Takahashi…but I would if I could!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP